Like Tree53Likes

Thread: More ammo to rid the fire service of alcohol.......

  1. #201
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Me too. But none of the ones I know do it in a firehouse. It's because they are professionals.
    And in your case, all the members that were in the firehouse were being paid to be on-duty.

    In a vollie house one can choose to respond or not respond on any given call. There were those that chose to be available and drank soda. There were those that chose not to be available and have a beer or two. As vollies, choosing not to respond if a call comes in is their right as they are under no moral or legal (in the case of paid staff) to respond.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  2. #202
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    At ease with what? Most of our guys just want to get to the house after training.
    Wasn't uncommon at my previous VFD for some of the guys to hang at the firehouse for 2 or 3 hours after training ended.

    Not uncommon for some of the guys to hang at my current combo or volunteer department for an hour or two after training either.

    And no beer was/is allowed in either place
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  3. #203
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    None of those who had a beer or two in the department mentioned because they were "freaked out" They just liked to have a beer or two when BSing with the guys after training.

    This really isn't all that complicated.
    I would agree that it isn't all that complicated except for the fact it is taking place in a firehouse.

    Then it becomes complicated.

    Unless your VFD is a group of morons.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  4. #204
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I would agree that it isn't all that complicated except for the fact it is taking place in a firehouse.

    Then it becomes complicated.

    Unless your VFD is a group of morons.
    And why does it become complicated?

    You drink - You have 2 beers or less and you don't respond until 8 hours after your finish your last beer. You don't drink - You may respond if a call comes in.

    Any drinking occurs only after drill nights or special circumstances/events as decided by the Chief.

    Again ... Not complicated.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  5. #205
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And why does it become complicated?
    When it's not done in a firehouse.

    So simple even a complete idiot can understand.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  6. #206
    Forum Member
    ToDaRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    174

    Default

    If you need a beer to wind down after training, you have a much bigger problem...

    Try AA.
    FyredUp likes this.

  7. #207
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Because some people feel more at ease with a beer.
    Perhaps these people should be seeking psychiatric help and/or seeking assistance from A/A instead of being Volunteer Firefighters if the physical contents of their beverage makes them feel "more at ease."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #208
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Agree with the overwhelming sentiment here. Bars in firehouses are common in the NJ, NY and Pennsylvania. Some firehouses have removed bars and/or banned alcohol. Others continue to remain rooted in the past. In a local firehouse, a few years ago two officers were drinking after a wetdown and they beat the crap out of the firefighter. The two officers were convicted of assault, remained members of the department and were punished by losing their officer rank for 1 or 2 years. One of the officers was elected back into to the officer ranks after his time out. The beer continues to flow in the firehouse. Disgusted members are flowing out the doors. Some departments do not realize the damage they are doing to their reputation and their mission.

  9. #209
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    We are our own worst enemy. The dooshbaggery has no boundaries and there are some real genius's out there that set us back.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  19.8 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  37.5 KB
    FyredUp, BoxAlarm187 and scfire86 like this.
    IAFF

  10. #210
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    The confederate flag is a nice touch.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  11. #211
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    What does the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia have to do with anything?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  12. #212
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What does the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia have to do with anything?
    What has the Army of Northern Virginia been up to lately? Haven't seen them in the news in a while.
    IAFF

  13. #213
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Is there an Army of Northern Virginia FD?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  14. #214
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Is there an Army of Northern Virginia FD?
    Yes, here's their uniform.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  27.4 KB
    IAFF

  15. #215
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    What has the Army of Northern Virginia been up to lately? Haven't seen them in the news in a while.
    Yeah it seems like its been 148 years since they've been in the news.....oh....wait......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  16. #216
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    We are our own worst enemy. The dooshbaggery has no boundaries and there are some real genius's out there that set us back.
    Attachment 23222
    Attachment 23223
    that kinda looks like a left coast helmet that guy is wearing.
    ?

  17. #217
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    that kinda looks like a left coast helmet that guy is wearing.
    Looks more like an officers hat from the Civil War that has been dyed black.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  18. #218
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    One of the officers was elected back into to the officer ranks after his time out.
    Sorry to derail the horse beating, but this is something I will never understand. I can't help but think that the same popularity contest mentality that elects officers is partially tied to the beer in the fire house issue. How is a leader supposed to make the hard decisions when the "men" will vote him out for making the unpopular right choice (like ditch the bar).

  19. #219
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Looks more like an officers hat from the Civil War that has been dyed black.
    the yellow one
    ?

  20. #220
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    the yellow one
    In the future, please be a little more regionally specific. That is clearly a SoCal salad bowl.
    IAFF

  21. #221
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    In the future, please be a little more regionally specific. That is clearly a SoCal salad bowl.
    sorry --I didn't mean to paint all you prune pickers with the same brush-guess I need a road trip.
    ?

  22. #222
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Sorry to derail the horse beating, but this is something I will never understand. I can't help but think that the same popularity contest mentality that elects officers is partially tied to the beer in the fire house issue. How is a leader supposed to make the hard decisions when the "men" will vote him out for making the unpopular right choice (like ditch the bar).
    I have a better question. How is a rank and file firefighter supposed to respect the office of a man who in a drunken fit of anger beat the crap out of subordinate in violation of the town's workplace anti-violence policy?

  23. #223
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    I have a better question. How is a rank and file firefighter supposed to respect the office of a man who in a drunken fit of anger beat the crap out of subordinate in violation of the town's workplace anti-violence policy?
    I have an even better question. WTF are you talking about?
    IAFF

  24. #224
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I have an even better question. WTF are you talking about?
    Hi Snowball, pleased to meet you. Read my 2 posts above.

    I thought Here and there was responding to my post when he said "I can't help but think that the same popularity contest mentality that elects officers is partially tied to the beer in the fire house issue." In my original post, I had related an incident where 2 officers beat the crap out of subordinate after all had been drinking after a wetdown. One of those officers in that incident was recently re-elected to be a line officer.

    Maybe I was mistaken about what Here and there was posting about. No need to be so rude. Have a great day.

  25. #225
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    Hi Snowball, pleased to meet you. Read my 2 posts above.

    I thought Here and there was responding to my post when he said "I can't help but think that the same popularity contest mentality that elects officers is partially tied to the beer in the fire house issue." In my original post, I had related an incident where 2 officers beat the crap out of subordinate after all had been drinking after a wetdown. One of those officers in that incident was recently re-elected to be a line officer.

    Maybe I was mistaken about what Here and there was posting about. No need to be so rude. Have a great day.
    from the wet down reference im guessing your from jersey - and you consider that rude ?
    ?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Alcohol & the Fire Service = STUPIDITY
    By FWDbuff in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM
  2. Live ammo at fires...
    By KevinFFVFD in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
  3. .45 ammo question....
    By KevinFFVFD in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
  4. SAFER R&R Ammo....
    By BC79er_OLDDELETE in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
  5. Alcohol & The Fire Service
    By ffemt1450 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register