Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Awards Banquet

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Awards Banquet

My volunteer dept. is planning an awards banquet. I am looking for some funny/gag awards? Not to embarrass anyone just trying to keep it clean and everyone have a good time and laugh. Any ideas?

Forum Member

our city gives out a very small trophy and some item that matches the story

people submit funny, unusual things that have happened over the year, and not to make people look bad

say someone was chased by a cat, or made an awful meal, or something funny

presenter tells a funny story and gives the trophy and gag gift, like for the cat maybe a fish net to catch the cat

One of our members backed our rescue into another member's car once. No major damage, but contact was made.

A toddler's plastic ride-on toy was dressed up with lights, siren, etc, and presented to him at the next banquet.

That was supposed to be the foundation for an annual "award," but some folks take exception to being recognized for even an event that had no negative results, no matter how funny the rest of us think it was. Like charging a line in the hosebed during a drill...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    One of our members backed our rescue into another member's car once. No major damage, but contact was made.

A toddler's plastic ride-on toy was dressed up with lights, siren, etc, and presented to him at the next banquet.

That was supposed to be the foundation for an annual "award," but some folks take exception to being recognized for even an event that had no negative results, no matter how funny the rest of us think it was. Like charging a line in the hosebed during a drill...

I can see some things not wanting to be brought up again, but some things you just have to get a life if you cannot handle it.

Been on the recieving end

Forum Member

For years I was in charge of my department's awards ceremony. Gag gifts were a common place and while most were done in good taste, there were some occasionally that raised the hackles of a few. As a fellow forum member pointed out, get a life and learn to take it once in a while.

Guys who'd take a wrong turn or get lost heading to a call - I'd go to the local Staples and get empty Garmin GPS boxes.

A guy tripped over a tomato cage on a call once, he got a tomato cage.

Damage a rig, you got part of the damaged part, i.e., broken lense, bent rub rail, etc. Or take a Matchbox vehicle and smash it with a hammer, glue it to a board and make your own plaque.

One of our B.C.'s, has received something every year; a chunk of 2x4 (fell through a ceiling, which led to an infamous line about being "just fine except for this board...."), a toy chainsaw before, an axe handle with lightening bolts on it (he can't swing an axe and hit the same place twice if he tried).

The one that was not very well received was when I gave a guy a sawzall (it was broke) as a reminder of the difference between a sawzall and a K-saw. To this day, he still doesn't know the difference.

To pull off a great gag night/roast, you have to have eyes and ears throughout the station. You have to have a good natured sense of humor and the guys as well. Be tasteful, some things don't need shared with everyone. And you have to be willing to accept it when the joke is on you. Trust me, they will find a way, more like WAYS, to get even. If you can dish it out, be ready to eat it later.

Forum Member

Took my truck to pick up a pallet of water from the county EMAs office.. No tie downs..half the pallet broke off.. Water went EVERYWHERE..

I got a bottle that had my picture on it and it said water delivery service lol

Forum Member

Not sure how I missed this a month ago...

The department I got started on had an annual "You did WHAT???" award. I'm not sure how it got started exactly. I know my father received the award once after the pumper he was driving was hit by a car at an intersection. Later on he resurrected the award when one of the station residents (it was a volly department) lost his helmet out the window of the pumper (long story) while he was driving it down the 4 lane divided highway. The helmet then got run over and dragged a ways before the car that hit it stopped. Dad, being the officer in charge of gear, mounted the destroyed helmet on a piece of oak and the "plaque" started making its rounds. One of the members got the "award" one year after he got stuck on top of one of the stations after his ladder slid over (a step-stool was part of that award). A guy on my probie class got the award when he hit some ice in the parking lot of the station when responding to a call and hit another guy's truck. Part of the quarter panel came with the plaque that year.

I have no idea whether the "award" is still in existence now or not, but it was always a good-natured part of the annual social get-together.

Thread Information