Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FyredUp

Thread: parade on SCBA?

Forum Member

Default parade on SCBA?

Anyone ever walk a 30-40 minute parade on SCBA? How'd you make the tank last? Chief threw down a challenge last night.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Bill View Post
    Anyone ever walk a 30-40 minute parade on SCBA? How'd you make the tank last? Chief threw down a challenge last night.
    Switch the cylinder for a 1 hour bottle when no one is looking.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 12-04-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

What's the point of this?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm very new to the fire service and have 0 SCBA experience. If I remember right, we have 22k psi tanks which I'm told last about 15 minutes under exertion (could have some details wrong, but the time is the factor).

Fyred, to maintain controlled breathing in order to make your air last through the walk. Nothing big, just something for fun.

Forum Member

either practice before the parade, or get an old hose and drill a few holes in it and amaze the chief in your stamina

Forum Member

ISI. Turn the switch to ambient air. Only someone that knows the packs and how they work and gets close enough to see the indicator will know if you are on pressurized or ambient air.

Forum Member

Fyred, to maintain controlled breathing in order to make your air last through the walk. Nothing big, just something for fun.
    If you believe that walking equates to anything close to actual fireground activity levels....you certainly do have a bunch to learn.

Controlling breathing while walking? So many other useful training options can be done.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Gee - one of the drills in FF1 (here at least) is to walk around the grounds of the training center on air to see how long you can make it last.

And one of the things we do with the younger kids in our school programs is show them the transition from street clothes to fully bunkered out, on air. They can then see it's the same person.

Sounds like a win-win to me. Your people get to practice some air management, and your customers get to see what you look like fully dressed out. Go for it!
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    ISI. Turn the switch to ambient air. Only someone that knows the packs and how they work and gets close enough to see the indicator will know if you are on pressurized or ambient air.
    That'd be funny actually. I'll talk to the LT and see if we can pull it off. I'll fess up later.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    If you believe that walking equates to anything close to actual fireground activity levels....you certainly do have a bunch to learn.

Controlling breathing while walking? So many other useful training options can be done.
    Not sure where you thought I said it would qualify me or anyone else for the fireground. Just a fun exercise using an event we'll already be at. Controlled breathing with the thought of making your tank last 40 minutes, not 15 or so.

But yeah, I do have a bunch to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    And one of the things we do with the younger kids in our school programs is show them the transition from street clothes to fully bunkered out, on air. They can then see it's the same person.

Sounds like a win-win to me. Your people get to practice some air management, and your customers get to see what you look like fully dressed out. Go for it!
    My thoughts too.

Thanks all!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I think it would be cooler to get a flat bed truck or trailer, set a bed up and do the midnight fire drill. Up out of bed, dress out, and donn your scba. All for the crowd of parade watchers.
    conrad427 and Apple Bill like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Uh, what kind of SCBA has a "switch" for "ambient air"???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Uh, what kind of SCBA has a "switch" for "ambient air"???
    that was a new one also, but:::

http://firechief.com/scba/avon-prote...s-deltair-scba

Forum Member

We use avon isi Viking z seven packs. The mask has a "switch" in the front for outside air. The mask connects with a hose coupler instead of the twist in feature so you can go off of air with the switch. The coupler does not hook back up if you don't bleed the pressure and turn the tank off.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

That is what we are using, the V7. We have had them now for 3 years and would buy them all over again if given the choice. When we chose them, we tried MSA, Scott Draeger, and ISI. Never brought the MSA and Scott back after the initial viewing. They were by far the least comfortable packs we tried. And you can only bolt so much to the face piece before it gets really annoying.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Gee - one of the drills in FF1 (here at least) is to walk around the grounds of the training center on air to see how long you can make it last...
    And how many times at an actual fire scene are you just walking around with your SCBA on?

Does it really make a difference to know that when walking around, a 30 minute bottle actually lasts 30 minutes? Or would it serve an actual purpose to know that you blow through your 30 minute bottle in 10 minutes when dragging a hose, or working an axe, etc.?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We just finished up a survival drill. Wall breaches, entrapment, entanglement, ladder bails, self rescue and mayday procedures. One of the courses had you find and put on your tank while laying down, then follow the hoseline out. Masks were blacked out. Most guys got stuck in an area where the sides and top converged to a 14" opening, this is where you learned how to skip breathe. My 30 minute tank lasted 65 minutes. That gave the RIC team valuable time. It also helped guys figure out if they were claustrophobic or not.
    The other course at a good pace a guy could complete it in about 10 minutes, most everyone exited with their low air bell sounding. Quite a few ran out of air. All in all it made you more familiar with your SCBA as well as your physical limits. It was no parade.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    We just finished up a survival drill. Wall breaches, entrapment, entanglement, ladder bails, self rescue and mayday procedures. One of the courses had you find and put on your tank while laying down, then follow the hoseline out. Masks were blacked out. Most guys got stuck in an area where the sides and top converged to a 14" opening, this is where you learned how to skip breathe. My 30 minute tank lasted 65 minutes. That gave the RIC team valuable time. It also helped guys figure out if they were claustrophobic or not.
    The other course at a good pace a guy could complete it in about 10 minutes, most everyone exited with their low air bell sounding. Quite a few ran out of air. All in all it made you more familiar with your SCBA as well as your physical limits. It was no parade.
    They use to have a class at the state fire academy called "smoke divers" that was similar - I think it fell victim to the kinder /gentler fire service.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    That's high quality training!

Forum Member

We did this a couple of years ago for our July 4th parade as a publicity thing. A lot of people thought it was neat to see.

Four of us volunteered to do it, plus we had two guys in an ATV behind us with spare bottles. Our parade lasts nearly an hour. One guy went through 3 bottles, myself and another a bottle and a half, and our resident marathon runner used only about half to three quarter of his first bottle. When just walking, its easy to concentrate on your air conservation techniques. The guy that used 3 was playing to the crowd quite a bit, and used a lot more air.

Forum Member

Me and a rookie were the only ones walking, everyone else rode in trucks. I opted out of the SCBA, he decided to try. He made it about 3/4 of the parade (didn't watch time). For what it was I'm glad I didn't. I was having a blast interacting with the kids while he was walking a straight line concentrating on breathing. I'll do some SCBA work in a different environment, likely start practicing next week.

Thread Information