Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charlotte 2014 Process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingTut99 View Post
    It's just best to take the test and hope the odds are in your favor and you move along the process and get an offer at the end. Charlotte is a highly desired department and getting hired isn't easy.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I was fortunate enough to make it to the end last year, with the exception of the most important part you speak of... If I can be of any assistance to anyone feel free to hit me up. Good luck to everyone, see you in the morning!
    Last edited by carolinablueff; 01-24-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Forum Member

Hi guys... Just wondering how the written test is and what is on it. I will be testing next year. I am from up north and will be moving to the Charlotte area. I want to start a fire career. I am 41 and been a voly for awhile now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vpops View Post
    Hi guys... Just wondering how the written test is and what is on it. I will be testing next year. I am from up north and will be moving to the Charlotte area. I want to start a fire career. I am 41 and been a voly for awhile now.
    When you figure out what area you're moving to, research the local fire departments requirements. Most career jobs have an age cutoff usually between 35-40. Find this info out as soon as possible as it could determine your next move. Good luck brother.

Forum Member

Thanks Bro

Forum Member

Just got my email. - Passed the test! On to the CPAT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TowerRescue View Post
    When you figure out what area you're moving to, research the local fire departments requirements. Most career jobs have an age cutoff usually between 35-40. Find this info out as soon as possible as it could determine your next move. Good luck brother.
    Charlotte has been known to hire older guys in the past. I think it was just a year ago they hired a guy who I believe was either 40 or 41 at the time of hire. Not saying it will be an easy task at an older age but not necessarily out of the question. If you have a military background it will help you as Charlotte does seem to like applicants with at least some military in their background.
    If your from NY prepare for your certs not to transfer but if you are from a state where your fire certs will transfer and have your NREMT there is plenty of part time fire work in the Charlotte area with volly houses and combination houses.

Forum Member

Where can i find out about those departments that hire part time work?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vpops View Post
    Where can i find out about those departments that hire part time work?
    There are a bunch. It depends on where you want to live. Most places you will have to join as a volunteer first. You can't go wrong with the Cornelius/Huntersville area though. Good luck.

Forum Member

Will be heading back to Charlotte 4/14 for the CPAT testing... It was a long drive for the written test but worth it. Ready for the drive again. Good luck everyone...

Forum Member

How was the written exam? Can u study for it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siklude View Post
    What has been the average amount of recruits to apply in the past few years? Would definitely like to get an insight on how many applicants normally apply.
    I do not work for the department, but I work with plenty of guys who do and from what they say its consistently around 2,000 every year give or take.

Forum Member

Doing the orientation tomorrow. - Any idea what the typical dress-code is for an orientation session?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post
    Doing the orientation tomorrow. - Any idea what the typical dress-code is for an orientation session?
    Any type of long pants and closed toed shoes. Most everyone wears some type of sweat pants/wind pants, sneakers and a t-shirt. Don't be that guy that wears some obscene t-shirt or one one from your vfd or another department if you are affiliated with one.

Forum Member

I guess I had the wrong idea. I figured for an orientation and not the actual CPAT I'd be dressing in button down and slacks. Good thing I asked. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post
    I guess I had the wrong idea. I figured for an orientation and not the actual CPAT I'd be dressing in button down and slacks. Good thing I asked. Thanks!
    Yes. The orientation is a chance to go out to the CPAT course and do a touch and feel on all the stations in the event and get an understanding as to the actual layout of the course.

Forum Member

did we have to print that page from the CPAT out and bring it with us?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sully343 View Post
    did we have to print that page from the CPAT out and bring it with us?
    No. All you need is your drivers license to check-in.

Forum Member

anybody hear anything? Got my email to to finish the pre-polygraph. Waiting for the phone call now.

Forum Member

That time is coming up for interviews again. Anybody here that has been through the Charlotte academy in the past couple of years? I would be interested in any info you could share regarding how it is run in terms of schedule (does the schedule vary each day or is there a consistency to the days), classroom/training ground split, or any other non-classified type info you could share. It seems from the past I have heard that the process can move pretty quickly if you actually get a background interview and move forward from there. I know all all cities are different, so I would just in case I am one of the fortunate this year I would appreciate any feedback anyone could share so my family and I could prepare for what to expect. Feel free to PM if you want. Thank you!

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything yet? I have heard rumors that they have started calling people to come in for background interviews already but all of that info has been second and third hand whereas in years past I usually heard it directly from the people who got the calls themselves. With that being said it's hard to tell if it's just rumors circulating or if they are in fact interviewing already.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingTut99 View Post
    Anyone hear anything yet? I have heard rumors that they have started calling people to come in for background interviews already but all of that info has been second and third hand whereas in years past I usually heard it directly from the people who got the calls themselves. With that being said it's hard to tell if it's just rumors circulating or if they are in fact interviewing already.
    I, along with 2 others that I know, was contacted last week to come in for interviews this week. I wouldn't take this as "better luck next year" yet, going through past threads it seems that they have sporadic periods of phone calls spanning over a few weeks. Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

Yep, spoke to a few more guys last night and it seems like they may be going in alphabetical order as it seems not many past "L" have been contacted.

Forum Member

Man that kind of sucks for those of us with names towards the end of the alphabet....Does it matter if you have your interview early on vs later for anyone whose been through the process before?

Forum Member

Anybody have any updates?

Forum Member

None yet on my end

Thread Information