Forum Member

Default What to do after Fire academy and Paramedic school

I'm 24 y/o finished my paramedic program back in January and Fire Academy in April but I don't know what to do next some people tell me to volunteer others tell me to get a degree in emergency management and some others tell me to get the fire inspector cert , I don't know what to do. I completed my Paramedic program and I still have to take the Florida State Exam I know that that's first on the list but then what should be my next step? , should I start learning special skills like diving or rope tech . Just need your advice on how to be more "hireable" when in the process. Hope you can help me.
    Note: Any tips for the Florida Paramedic State Test would be appreciated , Thank you.

Forum Member

Test anywhere and everywhere

With paramedic maybe work in a hospital

Would not get into any courses unless they are short ones

If you want to start in a place with less competition come to tx. With paramedic a lot less competition.

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

Forum Member

Would stay away from an emergency management degree.... Get educated in something else.
    You have an academy and a medic cert. You're looking good. I would go work in a hospital, find a gig on a 911 ambulance, volunteer at a fire department or find yourself a job in some other line of work that you actually enjoy while pursuing a job in the fire service.
    It looks good if you have a legitimate career as opposed to a "job". Maybe try and get employed by the city you'd like to work for even if it's in the water or sanitation department or something.
    Study up on testing and interviews.
    Also, I wouldn't bother going out and getting hazmat, USAR, Swift water on your own. I know lots of guys that have been hired over the years and I don't think a single one of them has done that.

Forum Member

Appreciate the inpute guys , as far as college degrees what would you recommend ? And please don't say nursing I work for Narional Helth Transport as an EMT and I have learn to hate that profession ? Any ideas ?

Forum Member

I would go for something kinda broad. Communications, business, education.... The chances of having an emergency management degree actually help/further your career are pretty slim. And I am not saying a degree in any of the other fields I mentioned are going to help you further your career either, however, what if this career doesn't work out? You don't like it or you get an injury that no longer allows you to do the job....? Also, I think departments appreciate a well rounded candidate.

Fire academy
    EMT
    Fire science AA/BA
    Emergency management BA
    EMT experience
    Paramedic school

I know tons of guys with that exact resume that are still hunting for jobs.
    I'd say try doing something a bit different.

Forum Member

Fire inspection/ safety related

Fire investigation

Fire protection engineer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Fire inspection/ safety related

Fire investigation

Fire protection engineer
    Definitely an option. I am just saying I know lots of guys that have every fire certification under the sun and are still out looking for jobs. I also know lots of well rounded guys that have the minimum when it comes to fire certs but who are well rounded candidates who have been on the job for a few years now....
    Putting all your eggs in the fire basket isn't the best idea, IMO.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say get your paramedic license and start applying to departments. As for the degrees I have so to go with something you like. You will be more motivated to finish and what they are really looking for is that you take learning seriously and can stick with it.
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upallday View Post
    Would stay away from an emergency management degree.... Get educated in something else.
    You have an academy and a medic cert. You're looking good. I would go work in a hospital, find a gig on a 911 ambulance, volunteer at a fire department or find yourself a job in some other line of work that you actually enjoy while pursuing a job in the fire service.
    It looks good if you have a legitimate career as opposed to a "job". Maybe try and get employed by the city you'd like to work for even if it's in the water or sanitation department or something.
    Study up on testing and interviews.
    Also, I wouldn't bother going out and getting hazmat, USAR, Swift water on your own. I know lots of guys that have been hired over the years and I don't think a single one of them has done that.
    Why are you against an Emergency Management degree? I would think that after retiring from a good medium to large sized fire department, an EM degree would be useful in looking for a second career working across different jurisdictions and departments, in a supervisory position. By contrast, a degree in Public Health would be most useful for a single jurisdiction management position in fire/EMS, and Public Health would be the same, but EMS only or hospital based.

Forum Member

Hey here's a really dumb suggestion but why don't you contact the jurisdictions that you are interested in working for and find out what their employment requirements are? Some have many, some have none at all. Some require college credits in Fire-Service oriented courses, some don't care if you have a Doctorate in Animal Husbandry as long as you have "X" amount of credits. Don't come on here (a virtual firehouse kitchen table) and ask a loaded question- because that's exactly what you get- loaded answers.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by O501 View Post
    Why are you against an Emergency Management degree? I would think that after retiring from a good medium to large sized fire department, an EM degree would be useful in looking for a second career working across different jurisdictions and departments, in a supervisory position. By contrast, a degree in Public Health would be most useful for a single jurisdiction management position in fire/EMS, and Public Health would be the same, but EMS only or hospital based.
    Agree 100%.
    However we are discussing what to do after your fire academy. I know tons of guys with EM degrees still looking for a job....
    I really think fire departments are a little hesitant to hire people who know nothing besides fire/emergency. They are looking for well rounded and diverse candidates. And the reality of it is that an EM degree won't help you as a FF. it may when you promote. A degree in education or communications may help you a bit more just starting out.
    Just my thoughts. Not saying they are right or wrong.
    Everyone's path is a bit different obviously.

Forum Member

I would say get what degree you want and thank would get you a first or second job

Yes em jobs are still there just not as important for some reason

Best advice wait till you get hired and work on a degree

Some cities will pay the tuition

Forum Member

unless you plan on staying in FLA get your national registry certification for Paramedic. It makes your license much more transferrable across state lines.
    . Not every state requires Nat Reg, currently, but in the future they will as a nationwide competency minimum.
    Also look to get some street experience under your belt as a medic.
    Getting hired as a dual hatter will be easier in many places.

Forum Member

First and foremost, congratulations on finishing the fire academy and paramedic school. Follow through and get your state licensure (finish what you start). The next thing to do is to get a job as a paramedic. Any department that hires you is going to expect you to be a competent paramedic.

One of my neighboring departments hires new medics and puts them through a 10 shift internship. At the end of 10 shifts if they are not a competent paramedic they are terminated. While this may not be what they do in your area, you need to be a competent paramedic.

In addition to being a competent paramedic, you need to get a job as a reserve or volunteer firefighter. This will help you maintain and use the skills you learned in the fire academy. These skills are perishable. In other words, the more time that elapses since you attended the academy, the weaker they become.
    Lastly, earn a degree in something that interests YOU.

You are going to be very busy if you heed my advice above. Look into online classes. They make it much easier for a working professional to go back to school. I went back to school at age 39 as a probationary Battalion Chief. I was 9 classes short of an AS degree. In a 4 year time frame I earned an AS, a Bachelors, and a Masters degree. Thank god for online classes.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information