Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default change crews or not

Just looking for opinions for pros and cons regarding staying with your crew and/or station until Promotions OR changing crews and/or stations every year or so. Thanks!

Forum Member

ob1027, I just recently changed crews for the 2nd time in 2 years. My first change was a difficult one, due to the fact that it was the same station just a different shift, but it was best for me at the time, and the guys understood that, and there was no bad blood. This last change was a different shift, station and apparatus. again my former crew, all being very good friends, whom I loved working with understood. prior to this I was with same crew, station and captain for 4 years. I base my decisions on enjoying walking into the station everyday and the experience gained by being in a certain area/station or on a certain truck, crew continuity grows considerably when you are with the same group of guys for an extended period, thats my opinion and my opinion only. Maybe just do whats best for you your family and career, no one can fault you for that.

Forum Member

Making a change in anticipation of a promotion is a good idea. You'll get some different experiences once you make the change. Could help you be a better officer.

Forum Member

Thanks for your input! Anyone work at for a department where you have no choice but to swap crews and or stations? If so does that seem to work for you guys or would you rather stick with the same guys for as long as possible? I like the continuity aspect if staying together and I agree, do what's best for you and yours.

Forum Member

I have always liked change. Seeing different parts of the City and running on a different clientele always kept the job interesting for me. Before you bid into a new station make sure you call the crew first to make sure you're welcome there (it's not required, but it's nice to do). Also, make sure you have a talk with your crew so they don't hear about it through the grapevine.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

This is ancient history like from 1972 or so. Any personnel could bid for a specific company and stay there indefinitely based upon seniority in grade. The only exception was that if you were "passed" for acting in a higher capacity you were placed on "the acting list" and could and did see activity district wide acting out of grade. No extra $pay$ then. You could refuse acting time only once.

Twice and you would see your career go up in smoke as you would never be promoted ever. This suited a small minority just dandy as they did not want promotion or to be bounced around; however most considered "acting time" to be a test of character and ability and a positive as everything back then was based upon experience and merit. Quite a difference today. HB of CJ (old coot)
    Last edited by HBofCJ; 02-28-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: speeeling

Generally speaking, no forced swaps or shake up's - why would you want to?

If you're doing it right, it could take several years to learn your territory.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

We'll transfer people based on their qualifications (ALS, truck operator, etc) and the department's needs. If I had to average, I'd say most people stay in their assignments from 5-8 years before being moved. We do have the option to put in for transfers at anytime, but you may or may not get your wish.

I work at a very busy, highly desirable station, and the average tenure of the firefighters is about 8 years and the officers are about 3 years.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information