Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2013 AFG Watering Hole

all the more reason why I choose to live in Florida

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

bump bump...

-9 below this morning with somewhere around a foot of new snow and the winds are still howlin.
    Day 3 of retirement :-}

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    -9 below this morning with somewhere around a foot of new snow and the winds are still howlin.
    Day 3 of retirement :-}
    Retirement? You really retired Ed?
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Yep ::: As of 12-31 . It's been really nice not getting woke up in the middle of the night to go out in the cold.
    hinesfire likes this.

Just wanted to drop this tidbit out there for the folks that are more medically oriented. This Bill, H.R.1791 - Medical Preparedness Allowable Use Act, is working it's way through the system. It will move some grant money around to expand funding on the medical side of things.

MembersZone Subscriber CordovaFire's Avatar

Warren, can you elaborate on that subject?

Forum Member

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr1791

Medical Preparedness Allowable Use Act - Amends the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to authorize the use of Urban Area Security Initiative and State Homeland Security Grant Program funding for enhancing medical preparedness, medical surge capacity, and mass prophylaxis capabilities, including the development and maintenance of an initial pharmaceutical stockpile, including medical kits, and diagnostics sufficient to protect first responders, their families, immediate victims, and vulnerable populations from a chemical or biological event.

They did a lot of this around here post 9/11 but almost all of the drugs in the stockpile expired, got tossed, and weren't replaced. Otherwise the training, detection equipment, response plans, and other fun stuff is pretty much together. Hard to buy stuff that expires since the hope is that it does expire and not get used.

Looks like things at PR are moving quickly. Already had a client get called by a FPS today and the questions asked appear to be Tech Review type questions.
    Kurt Bradley

What Brain said. How much snow and ice you got today?

Part of the problems encountered with all those homeland security disaster trailer cache's of medical supplies & equipment is that there was no mechanism to fund replacing the expired gear , so now there are dozens or hundreds of them around the country, full of out of date supplies and equipment past safe use dates.

Anyone want a bunch of expired 2 PAM auto injectors that have turned to jello?
    I'd wager a bet that millions of dollars spent on them is basically just junk now.
    Hardly even worth sending to third world nations.

We only got a little over a foot of snow out of todays storm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Yep ::: As of 12-31 . It's been really nice not getting woke up in the middle of the night to go out in the cold.
    Congrats on your retirement! Same day as mine but I went to another state to work some more!
    Mark

Forum Member

Sure, just rub that retirement thing in front of the rest of us middle-aged folks. 4weeks and 1 day and I join the distinguished club of those in their 40s......only 25.5 more years until retirement eligible. Although not sure the boss will let me stop then, such is the hazard of being self-employed, boss still is a hard-nose....

Quote Originally Posted by mwtetreault View Post
    Congrats on your retirement! Same day as mine but I went to another state to work some more!
    Mark
    You mean you left beautiful Nude hampster to become a Mass hole :::: -]

If I knew that I would have waved as we went by today.. had to run down to burlington and back home to safety today
    Last edited by islandfire03; 02-16-2014 at 12:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Inquiring minds want to know! Anyone have any updates? First, are all peer reviews done now on AFG? When do you think awards will start? When do you think the computer DJs will go out for AFG? When do you think SAFER R & R grants will be announced for volunteer FDs? Just wondering and hoping for informed answers. THANKS!
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know! Anyone have any updates? First, are all peer reviews done now on AFG? When do you think awards will start? When do you think the computer DJs will go out for AFG? When do you think SAFER R & R grants will be announced for volunteer FDs? Just wondering and hoping for informed answers. THANKS!
    Lets see if I can satisfy that "inquiring mind". LOL

1.) Peer review for 2013 AFG is now complete for the most part, It was done during the week of February 18th. I believe there are a few more to grade which will be accomplished when they do the FP&S peer review but that should not slow them down on their schedule to start releasing awards.

2.) We should start seeing 1199a updates in early March and actual awards by 1st of April. They have stated that they want all awards out before end of May hopefully, at least that is what they are shooting for right now.

3.) SAFER R&R grants for the VFDs have now been being awarded for about a month now and are still continuing every Friday.They should be about done with awards pretty soon.

Hope that helps!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

If they request a 1199a update, is that a good indication that you would be funded?

Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

Is that an 1199a update or a profile update?

Steve you must have been reading my mind as I was going to ask the same question. Of course if it is an 1199a update then that would be a good sign.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Lets see if I can satisfy that "inquiring mind". LOL

1.) Peer review for 2013 AFG is now complete for the most part, It was done during the week of February 18th. I believe there are a few more to grade which will be accomplished when they do the FP&S peer review but that should not slow them down on their schedule to start releasing awards.

2.) We should start seeing 1199a updates in early March and actual awards by 1st of April. They have stated that they want all awards out before end of May hopefully, at least that is what they are shooting for right now.

3.) SAFER R&R grants for the VFDs have now been being awarded for about a month now and are still continuing every Friday.They should be about done with awards pretty soon.

Hope that helps!
    I have been working with a grant administrater in D.C to reallicate some training funds we recieved in 2012. I asked him about the current status of AFG 2013 and he told me, most have been through peer review the week of the Feb 18 the rest are being reviewed this week. When I asked when they would start the awards process he laughed and said "soon but you know how that goes". He also told me that being reviewed in the second group is not a reflection of you computer scoring it just is where your grant was in the stack. Hope this help everyone and goodluck.

Thread Information