+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2013 AFG Watering Hole

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Barkeep, a round of top shelf for everyone on me. Just got the call that daddy's little girl got into the top rated Charter School in the region, and boy gets to go next year automatically. And doesn't cost me any more money since the school taxes we already pay cover it!

Congrats Brian, I know how hard it is to get them into those schools. Got a granddaughter we do that with.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thats almost better than getting a new tower truck funded Brian Congrats.
    McCallens for me please barkeep

Forum Member

Thanks y'all. School admin told the Mrs today that it took until 8th grade for her daughter to get in, and she worked there before she had kids. Complete lottery system, 2500 applications last year and they took 85 kids across 1st-12th grades. Much better than winning Powerball, since when she makes it into a great college and gets a great job she can support me in my old age. Probably by picking my discount nursing home....

Forum Member

If anyone else is heading up to FRI, drop on by Booth 3253. Sly is already there, think LFDmichael will be there too. Then maybe we can have a real drink instead of virtual ones.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wish I could have made it this year but, too much going on at once here professionally and some family related issues I am dealing with. Next year for sure! You guys have one for me while up there.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Tequila round on me. I feel like partying. We will be on today's awards list. 13 new air packs and face pieces for each member. Great group of guys and I'm glad we can get them into the equipment they so badly needed.

Forum Member

I really wanted to post this a little over a week ago when we received our 1199 but we wanted to keep it quiet. BUT Doing the happy dance! $790,600 Regional Radio Grant for Marshall County WV! in the past 12 months the County has received both this grant and a new Safety trailer.
    islandfire03 likes this.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Cool Another round please

Kind of quiet at the bar on a Friday

MembersZone Subscriber

That because we all left the virtual one and headed for the real one!
    McMechen VFD likes this.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

McMechen,

Congrats on your big regional comm grant.
    Now the fun & hard work begins.
    A regional like that is kind of like herding cats to get everyone to play together in the sandbox.
    Been there done that

Forum Member

Congrats McMechen Heed to what Island just said, I got my first Regional com. grant 2 years ago and Islands advise was the same. Getting awarded is the easy part, working the grant is the hard part. Good luck and congrats.
    islandfire03 likes this.
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey folks, quick heads up . We are moving our corporate headquarters from NC to SC over the next couple of weeks so we will be having some technical issues here and there including that our normal corporate phone number is being changed and as of now is no longer in service. Everyone trying to reach us should use 863-551-9598 to get to me as my numbers are not changing. New address for us will be First Responder Grants, 237 E. Brooks St., Manning, SC 29102. Thanks
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Since I have had no luck the last few years I'm wandering since we are a private non profit organization does this hurt me for the federal monies. I know for me to get the Ohio grants I have to write the grants threw one of the municipalities we contract with do I need to be doing something like this for federal money. I even had a mentor this year and we both seemed to think it was a decent grant. I'm still trying for the same thing again next year (Rescue Tools) or is this just not high enough on the needs list. I really want to take one of the Grant classes you guys put on but they don't ever seem to be close enough to me and its hard for me to travel away because I have kids that I have on the weekends. I know I'm by no means the guy who should be writing grants because I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm the only one who has taken the time to write them.
    Robert Vickery
    Andover VFD
    Chief 100

Forum Member

Most volunteer companies are private non-profits and we get funded quite often. What mentoring program were you using this year?

I (or several others here) are always willing to take a look and see if something glaring sticks out to see why you are not being funded. Sometimes even the best applications are passed up; but if you are continuing to fail each and every year, you probably need to take a step back and have someone look at your work.

You can e-mail me through the website here.

Forum Member

andover110, you are in the right place to get help. Apart from contacts with several grantwriting services, you can get all kinds of free advice here as well.

On the non-profit side, Sly is right. That makes no difference. Certain funders will only give money to units of government--for example, Community Development Block Grants through HUD--but AFG is wide open.

Rescue tools are high enough on the list, but the other component is your status on tools right now. Do you already have tools? If not, it's considered a new mission, which is a lower priority. If you already do have tools, how old are they? If somebody has older tools than you do, they will be funded first.

So your best shot at rescue tools--and this goes for everything--is that you already have the equipment, but it's old, breaks down a lot, requires obsolete parts, and so forth.

Stick around here, fella. You will learn a lot. No workshops necessary, but of course they help too.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

The tools we are currently using are older than me I think. They are original Hurst tools in need of some major replacement. Cutters barley cut at this point. I have gotten lots of great help from this forum so far but can't figure out what I'm missing when I see departments with budgets twice what mine is getting all kinds of equipment. don't get me wrong I have a hell of a department with great personal and most of our equipment in up to date but we have had such a tight budget the last few years we haven't been able to replace these tools our selves.
    Robert Vickery
    Andover VFD
    Chief 100

Forum Member

Financial need isn't the only thing that figures in. How many extrications do you have each year? How many hours do your personnel train on extrication? What have your Squad 51 tools cost you in maintenance and repairs lately? How long will it take other tools to arrive if your set breaks down during an incident? I looked you up on a map; I figure you get a lot of snow up there. How much time does that add to their response times? Are neighboring departments using incompatible tools (that is, pretty much anything but Hurst)?

In your overall department, where's the money going? Had any major expenses lately, like a blown apparatus pump or major work on the station? Has your funding been reduced in recent years? What other pressing needs are you spending money on, like PPE or apparatus?

Everybody has needs, and nobody has money. Just ask them. Your job in the narrative is to spell out why your needs and circumstances are unique, and why that justifies an investment by Uncle Sam.
    islandfire03 likes this.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by andover110 View Post
    The tools we are currently using are older than me I think. They are original Hurst tools in need of some major replacement. Cutters barley cut at this point. I have gotten lots of great help from this forum so far but can't figure out what I'm missing when I see departments with budgets twice what mine is getting all kinds of equipment. don't get me wrong I have a hell of a department with great personal and most of our equipment in up to date but we have had such a tight budget the last few years we haven't been able to replace these tools our selves.
    Chief I am guessing at this point but you must have received a "computer rejection notice" so that means nobody ever even read what was written. If you want to give me a call I can look over what you did and see if anything is glaring out at me that took you out of contention. There is no charge. 863-551-9598
    Last edited by ktb9780; 08-29-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I checked it out; he did make panels but found a few scoring issues that may have contributed to his demise. Not the worst I've seen by far.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK so if he paneled then how does he know he got rejected yet or is he just summarizing that at this stage all hope is lost?
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I think we can all summarize that all hope is lost at this point for untouched applications. There is barely enough time to get the applications with 1199As announced before funding expires in two weeks.

Forum Member

Yep:::::::: the fat lady is now standing in the wings warming up her song.
    Peer DJ's should be any day now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey just a heads up for everyone. Despite multiple layers of security my Gmail account at kbradley@firstrespondergrants.com was hacked and a SPAM email is floating out there from my email address that asks you to open a Google doc. That email is not from me. The link will not work as Google has apparently shut this down from multiple users who have been hacked. It is a sophisticated phishing scam trying to get your log-in credentials for Google when you try to log into Google docs. I don't use Google docs, EVER! Don't open it simply delete it. I am trying as hard as I can to recover the account but Google shuts down your account from sending anything after 500 emails a day go out so, I have to wait till later today or tomorrow before that account is reactivated and hopefully the "bot" is done with me and since my passwords have been reset , it will be over with. Until then I apologize if you got a scam email from me. In the meantime I can receive email normally but I will respond back to you using my aol.com account or simply call me. Once again sorry for this, I'd like to put a bounty on the idiots who do this. Makes life very, very aggravating to say the least.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    Hope it's not to early to start drinking again........
    I didn't know you ever stopped ! LOL

Forum Member

Barkeep, get ready to import a bunch of this: http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/j...tennessee-fire

Got the email today it will be here in TX in a couple of weeks, plus 4 other states. Hit TN, PA, and OR in April, next month here plus Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, South Carolina. Kurt looks like you'll have to make a road trip if one of your workshops isn't near one of these states.
    WJVaughn likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information