Forum Member

Default A fire truck for Christmas: Help a small VFD?

The River Volunteer Fire Department next door to us--and of which I'm not a member!--is having a serious apparatus crisis.

They run four vehicles, a 1988 light rescue, a 1969 mini-pumper, a 1982 pumper, and a homemade 1986 tanker.

The pumper recently had a major repair involving deep pump repairs. The tanker has no third gear and is just flat-out dangerous.

These guys are working hard to improve the department. I have been able to help them get some grants, but the truck thing just hasn't happened yet (AFG for tanker submitted Friday. Fingers crossed!)

Anyhow, if anyone has a lead on a safe, reliable rig for a bargain price, PM me. At the risk of being a choosy beggar, they would need to stick with a two-door commercial cab because their station is too shallow for anything bigger.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

There are a couple of DoD programs to get no cost or reduced cost trucks. We've used FPP, FEPP, and the state facilities commission for most of our equipment. We do the work on the vehicles ourselves, then we are just out the cost of materials. Most of the trucks are ex-military, but they make great tankers and brush trucks. The newer ones we have been getting have power steering and automatic transmissions. Sometimes tankers can be had that are already equipped. The only problem is they might be a little long.

Almost every truck we have at the station came from those programs. They work great for departments on a very limited budget. We just finished building our foam truck, and have built two new brush trucks and a 5,000 gallon tanker in the last couple of years. The trucks aren't new, but they are new to us and are good, reliable trucks.

Forum Member

Check with your state firefighters association, mutual aid associations, fire chiefs association and firefighter training associations and ask them to send out emails to their members, requesting the whereabouts of used apparatus, that is for giveaway or sale. This method may dig up some possible available apparatus.

Also, find out what departments in your state that have recently obtained new apparatus or have apparatus on order. These FD's that have recieved or will recieve new apparatus, may have used apparatus that will need a home.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    Check with your state firefighters association, mutual aid associations, fire chiefs association and firefighter training associations and ask them to send out emails to their members, requesting the whereabouts of used apparatus, that is for giveaway or sale. This method may dig up some possible available apparatus.

Also, find out what departments in your state that have recently obtained new apparatus or have apparatus on order. These FD's that have recieved or will receive new apparatus, may have used apparatus that will need a home.
    I know of several departments in an area south of me that have disposed of older apparatus fairly recently. One was because the brakes failed and they didn't want to fix them, but that might not be an issue with a department willing to make necessary repairs.

I think all of the trucks I've seen as such have found new owners now, but it does reinforce what Fire117 says. In addition, many of the trucks being retired are at a point that they're almost worth more as scrap than as a fire truck, but they may still have some life in them. Owning departments may be very receptive to making a donation, or selling at a token price. Many times these smaller departments may not have the money, but they have the talent to turn a near-junker into a useful piece of apparatus.

It can't hurt to check with local apparatus dealers. Many times they know who's getting rid of what and can arrange for the parties to meet. And sometimes a rig is beyond trade-in value, which means it will be sold for what they can get for it.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information