Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By FF-Andy

Thread: Should I volunteer?

Forum Member

Default Should I volunteer?

My future career goals is to be a firefighter/paramedic.

The volunteer fire department 10 miles away from my house is recruiting volunteer firefighters, no experience necessary, which is good for me because I've never taken any fire classes. I have EMT experience which is desired - basically meet most/all of the desired qualifications: college courses, bilingual, etc.

Basically, if I get my fitness up, there is a very high chance that I will be able to get in. If I do get it, they'll put me in a 4 month fire academy in Feburary, and I am subject to start volunteering for a whole year after that.

Thing is, training is two times a month, on a Wednesday, and I don't know the amount of shifts you need to do a month. Or if it's "on-call." If it is on-call, I'm out. I need a set schedule, and no one really has all that free time to get moving within <1 hour.

OR, I also plan to going to Paramedic school after I finish my 960 hours of EMT experience, currently at ~700ish. Medic school is 3 times a day, Tuesday Wed and Thurs. After about 9 months or so, I have my internship. I REALLY want to go this route, that's if I get in the program to begin with. Apps end on May 1st of next year, and I'll fill it out after my hours, paperwork, supervisor approval, etc. My college courses are set: finished all A&P, chem, math, etc. I also have a high chance of getting in. Could be better, work more work experience. Basically, work >1.5 years and your chances improve by 30%-40%, since it's based on a point system.

Point is, I have a good chance of volunteering, and I have an okay/good chance of getting into a paramedic program at my CC. What are your thoughts? If I can do both, trust me I'd jump on that opportunity already. Plus I'll also be planning to work during any of these choices.

In b4 I get rejected from both.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by patzyboi View Post
    My future career goals is to be a firefighter/paramedic.

The volunteer fire department 10 miles away from my house is recruiting volunteer firefighters, no experience necessary, which is good for me because I've never taken any fire classes. I have EMT experience which is desired - basically meet most/all of the desired qualifications: college courses, bilingual, etc.

Basically, if I get my fitness up, there is a very high chance that I will be able to get in. If I do get it, they'll put me in a 4 month fire academy in Feburary, and I am subject to start volunteering for a whole year after that.

Honestly, and I apologize for my brutal bluntness here, if your physical condition is so poor that you need to get in shape to volunteer I would focus 100% of your efforts on that goal before you worried about anything else.

Thing is, training is two times a month, on a Wednesday, and I don't know the amount of shifts you need to do a month. Or if it's "on-call." If it is on-call, I'm out. I need a set schedule, and no one really has all that free time to get moving within <1 hour.

Um, the majority of volunteer fire departments in my area are On-Call. It is rare to the point of almost non-existence to have scheduled shifts for volunteers here. If you believe you need an hour to get the tones on your pager and drive 10 miles to the station I don't think you understand the concept of volunteer fire departments. I live 3/4 of a mile from one department I am on and 5 miles from the other, when the tones drop it is never more than a couple minutes before I am out the door and many times far less than that. It is rare I don't make second or third truck at the FD 5 miles away and a majority of times I make the first truck for the one 3/4 of a mile away.

Again, I think the concept of what a volunteer fire department is and how they operate is something you simply have no real world knowledge of.

OR, I also plan to going to Paramedic school after I finish my 960 hours of EMT experience, currently at ~700ish. Medic school is 3 times a day, Tuesday Wed and Thurs. After about 9 months or so, I have my internship. I REALLY want to go this route, that's if I get in the program to begin with. Apps end on May 1st of next year, and I'll fill it out after my hours, paperwork, supervisor approval, etc. My college courses are set: finished all A&P, chem, math, etc. I also have a high chance of getting in. Could be better, work more work experience. Basically, work >1.5 years and your chances improve by 30%-40%, since it's based on a point system.

The 2 really don't have anything to do with each other unless the fire academy interferes with the paramedic course schedule wise. If your intent is to be a full time firefighter I would strongly suggest you take the paramedic course. In the mean time you could learn how fire departments operate.

Point is, I have a good chance of volunteering, and I have an okay/good chance of getting into a paramedic program at my CC. What are your thoughts? If I can do both, trust me I'd jump on that opportunity already. Plus I'll also be planning to work during any of these choices.

Paramedic school. Um, you wll have to work if you become a volunteer firefighter because it for sure isn'tgoing to pay your bills.

In b4 I get rejected from both.

Decisions are part of being an adult. Make one.
    Whichever way you go you rally should educate yourself about how the fire service works.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

The fire service probably aint for you if you seriously chose a screenname ending in "BOI"

Thread Information