Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: FDNY and military discharge ?

Forum Member

Default FDNY and military discharge ?

Im in kind of a weird spot right now. I was in the Army for 2 years and got an early discharge for cocaine. The one and only time I have ever done it and surprise **** test 27 hours later. I got a general under honorable conditions discharge. Reason for separation was misconduct (drug abuse) . My question is would this be an automatic dq. Cause I am 20 years old right now and need to figure out my future career considering my last one ended so regretfully. Should I just go to school and get my 60 credit and apply or go the fdny ems route cause I already plan on getting my cert for emt. Would they be more willing to look past the military history if I i can prove myself via ems . Thanks for your time .

Forum Member

Does not really say

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...s_080106.shtml

Call see if it is a disqualifier maybe not use your name

How can I get more information?
    Answer: For more information please call (718) 999-FDNY, or dial 311 and ask about jobs at the FDNY.

Forum Member

More than likely if going against someone equal background except for the military thing, you will lose.

also, would not limit yourself to one department test anywhere and everywhere.

Also check different dept web sites, sometimes the put the disqualifiers on them.

Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks for the answers !

Forum Member

Kid I went through probie school with had the EXACT same issues as you.

He still received veterans credit and currently works as a fireman...

Forum Member

Wow thats awesome ! Im gonna try my hardest and just hope for the best .

Yeah, no offense, but I certainly hope you don't get it. Maybe in another 10 years when you have proven yourself, but coke history and putting you in EMS? Thats BS.

If its what you want go ahead and apply. You made a mistake, own up to it and be honest when it comes up. Worst they can tell you is no. As other have said test anywhere and everywhere, if the FDNY has a problem with your discharge other departments may not.

Hell, who knows the FDNY may not even care about it, just look at the quality of recruits that came out of their last class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snarff View Post
    If its what you want go ahead and apply. You made a mistake, own up to it and be honest when it comes up. Worst they can tell you is no. As other have said test anywhere and everywhere, if the FDNY has a problem with your discharge other departments may not.

Hell, who knows the FDNY may not even care about it, just look at the quality of recruits that came out of their last class.
    The quality of the last FDNY class hasn't been fully decided yet. We'll see what we can do with them. Some will be dogs. Most have a shot to be good. if they really want to.

The FDNY cares. ALOT.

There's a federal judge making decisions for us who does not care. Or he's incompetent. Or both.

Forum Member

I know where your coming from. But I personally think the worst Soldier is still usually more disciplined and dedicated then a large majority of civilians. And I was on both sides of that spectrum. I was considered what some would say a good Soldier. And then instanly was deemed a ****bag. And while i was getting out I was with a bunch of other "**** bags" for most of the day. And they were still more motivated and disciplined then any civilian I have encountered in my short life. And also you would be surprised the number of military personal that do drugs. Some once like myself , some are addicts. And a lot of them are still serving . They time it out better then I did obviously . A couple of years ago you would have to **** hot 3 times and or get 4 dui to get even a slap on the wrist. Now if your late for formation 3 times in a year they try booting your ***. Its going back to a garrison army. The war is over . No need for so many people.

Forum Member

Hey I appreciate the info. I called that number and they bounced me around to like 7 different indiviuals only to get bounced back to who I orginally called lol. But thanks anyway !

Forum Member

Thanks for your service to our country Joe! Good luck in your career!!

So you snort some coke and magically and mysteriously you get snagged for a urine test a day later? Wow. Talk about your all time coincidences.......

............Or maybe.....perhaps it really wasn't your first time????
    LVFD301 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    So you snort some coke and magically and mysteriously you get snagged for a urine test a day later? Wow. Talk about your all time coincidences.......

............Or maybe.....perhaps it really wasn't your first time????
    Maybe someone dropped a dime on him.

i have nothing against experimental drug use.. i thin it has nothing to do with the individual, yes its a "pre-disposition" if you wanna call it that.. but there's research to suggest smarter people are more prone to experimentation

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...use-more-drugs

not sure if a suitable source, i found multiple articles by "snopes" mentioning them , but nothing saying they are a super biased source of info
    Last edited by ladder9volley; 12-21-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Forum Member

No it was my first time . Problem was it was the last day of the first four day in about 5 months .. Bad timing.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    Thanks for your service to our country Joe! Good luck in your career!!
    Thanks for you service? Career?
    The kid did cocaine while in the military. What kind of c r a p is that??? I wouldn't want him by me when I was in. And I really don't want him by me now.

27 hours after you did it for your very first and only time? Too coincidental.

All that said, you might be able to get it upgraded to a "general discharge". I think you have to contact your local VA within 6 months of separation.

If you can truly keep your nose clean (no pun...no. I take it back. pun intended), you have a long road ahead of you.
    FWDbuff likes this.

Forum Member

No question, Joe f*cked up. But at one point he did write a blank check to the American people in an amount up through and including his life if necessary. Therefore I thanked him and wished him well. Big deal.

How many of you all stars tried dope once or twice and didn't get caught? How many of you were "weekend warriors", smoking a little herb or doing a little blow at weeks end and didn't get your tit in a wringer? Before the fire service? During?
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    How many of you all stars tried dope once or twice and didn't get caught? How many of you were "weekend warriors", smoking a little herb or doing a little blow at weeks end and didn't get your tit in a wringer? Before the fire service? During?
    I agree the whole-holier-than-thou attitude is ridiculous. I freely admit to past experimenting with drugs when I was younger.

Looking back being older now I think man I was stupid and lucky at the same time. I also don't regret it either, although I may if I would have been caught. That is the only difference he got caught and I didn't.

Thread Information