Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default PAE Antarctica Contract

Antarctica contract information is so jumbled between PAE and Raytheon experiences on the other threads. PLEASE if you have been to Antarctica recently on the PAE contract, fill us in on pay, shift schedules, life on the ice, etc. If you have been on the old Raytheon contract, please contribute comments on living there and what to expect.

I'm a civilian Firefighter/Paramedic working on a military base and they are about to shut our base department down due to losing our planes and budget cuts. This is part of my backup plan to buy some time afterwards. Not looking to make a career out of it or make a fortune. From what I hear the days of making six digits on contracts are soon coming to an end. Just want to do it for the experience and the travel. I would like information on pay, if there is a pay bump for Paramedics what it is, what life is like living there, shift schedules, FD station life, what the process is before leaving (recruiter interaction, training, New Zealand, etc)....anything that could be of assistance. Please help a brother out. Thanks

Forum Member

Just an update for those that are facing similar difficulties...I found that a fella from here actually had a blog going for a while when he was on the ice. He wasn't there on the PAE contract for the duration of the blog it appears, but it gives a lot of insight into what life is like there and what to expect throughout the whole process. Check it out at http://philfirerescue.blogspot.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey FireMedic, I was on the same boat as you. I worked for DOD at Fort Monmouth in NJ and put in for PAE/Antarctica Fire Dept to buy me some time. What a hell of an experience it was. The pay was great, the cost to me was NOTHING except booze and souvenirs and what not. I would highly recommend.

Rogo

Forum Member

Thanks Rogo!

Forum Member

Can you elaborate on pay? and when you talk about pay per year... are you talking about for a season or for literally a whole calendar year?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic View Post
    Just an update for those that are facing similar difficulties...I found that a fella from here actually had a blog going for a while when he was on the ice. He wasn't there on the PAE contract for the duration of the blog it appears, but it gives a lot of insight into what life is like there and what to expect throughout the whole process. Check it out at http://philfirerescue.blogspot.com
    Someone talkin' about my blog?

While I was down there before PAE took over; I still have a couple friends down there now, so maybe I can answer some questions.

On a side note: I heard the pay is lower this season, as they hired more people than when they first took over the contract. I'll see if I can track down the actual numbers of per week pay. I also heard they changed their bonus system as well this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry for showing up late to this party. I emailed my friends down there on the ice with your questions and I included a link of this post to them.

I'll update/post when they hit me back.

I do agree with ROGO43's post. I spent money on booze and souvenirs. What was really nice (when I went down) was that you could travel around NZ or that area and Raytheon would delay your return ticket home. I enjoyed ice life, I would love to go back but my full time job here won't allow leave of absences. I'm glad randomly logged into firehouse.com tonight while it was slow here at the station.

Forum Member

Thank you so much for checking it out and being willing to help out with information PhilFireRescue! If you would please ask for the information for a Firefighter+Paramedic as well as that is what I've applied for. I would imagine there is a little pay bump for being a Paramedic. I applied last week and to the best of my knowledge have submitted anything I needed to submit, but I have not heard anything from PAE. I called them to confirm that I have done everything correctly and that they have recieved the application but nobody answers the phone and nobody listens to messages and returns calls either apparently, lol!

Once again thank you SO MUCH for checking out the post and doing what you can to help. It's much appreciated brother!

The blog is locked down now, only invited guests can read, any way to get an invite?

MembersZone Subscriber

FireMedic, I sent a message to my buddy who is a Captain down there and the other is the Deputy Chief, I'm waiting for them to hit me back right now. They are wrapping up the "summer season" right now, so I'm hoping they are able to find some time to send me some info. I also included the link for this thread there as well, so they could post directly here if they have the chance.

LVFD301, You should be good to go on the blog now.
    Last edited by philfirerescue; 02-11-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: EDIT: LVFD301's message.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philfirerescue View Post
    FireMedic, I sent a message to my buddy who is a Captain down there and the other is the Deputy Chief, I'm waiting for them to hit me back right now. They are wrapping up the "summer season" right now, so I'm hoping they are able to find some time to send me some info. I also included the link for this thread there as well, so they could post directly here if they have the chance.
    Were you able to get any information from your brothers down there? I still haven't heard a peep from PAE one way or the other. Does is typically take a couple months for them to respond or is that a sign I need to forget about it?

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't heard anything from them. I know that one of them just left the ice for the "winter" and the other is wintering over. I'm still waiting for them to reply. It does take a while for them to get back to people. Have you tired calling them? Whose the contact person? They just finished up summer, so they maybe playing catchup with the whole HR side of things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philfirerescue View Post
    I haven't heard anything from them. I know that one of them just left the ice for the "winter" and the other is wintering over. I'm still waiting for them to reply. It does take a while for them to get back to people. Have you tired calling them? Whose the contact person? They just finished up summer, so they maybe playing catchup with the whole HR side of things.
    *UPDATE* PAE contacted me yesterday by email informing me that " based on the qualifications listed on your resume, we would like to consider you further for a contract position with the United States Antarctic Program". Soon after I spoke with a PAE recruiter over the phone.

Thanks for the info and your help Phil, looks like I'm in the pool getting considered by the FD hiring supervisors. We'll see where it goes from here.
    Last edited by FireMedic; 03-25-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Updated Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Awesome! Thats great. You'll have a really good time down there. New Zealand is amazing, do your best to do some post ice traveling there. And Have fun, I wish I could take time from my full time dept to go back down there. They have a couple new trucks down there that I am jealous of.

Thread Information