Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default It's time to quit dipping...

Hello my names Dan, I'm a 12 year career Firefighter/EMT. I will be honest, Ive tried to quit smokeless tobacco countless times. Ive used the patch, gum, lozenges, hypnosis, and tried cold turkey as well. The only thing I really never had was a good support group, and being new to this forum but knowing how us firemen are, Im looking to my fellow brothers for support. I'd use the guys at my station but all of them dip so.... But Im not going to be deterred by them because I have 3 kids, and a wife that need me around a bit.

Im going to check in everyday for a month in this thread to let yall know how I'm doing. This is it. Its starts tomorrow 12-14-13. Thanks Brothers!

No dip so far, just a ton of BS calls that make me want one. Errrrrrr Hanging in.

The fact that you have a wife, three kids and that tobacco is a known cancer-causing agent that you use while are already exposed to enough other schit that causes cancer isn't enough to motivate you to quit????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Keep it up Dan! I've quit just for the sake of spending money on something pointless. It's hard at first, but when you get past the first couple weeks, I told my coworkers hey 12 weeks, and they'd tell me I'm a... you know the rest. But for me, it wasn't so much to rub it in their faces, more to know that hey, I can quit and I'm alright with that.
    Keep it up!
    "Being a firefighter is like being on a professional sports team, but better." - Sean K.

Thanks guys. So far so good. Im ready to climb the walls though.

@FWDbuff - Your right bro, the only person that hasn't died in my family tree of cancer was my great uncle (a Corpman) whom died on Normandy Beach on D-Day of a mortar round. So the genetics already are screwed up then add 200+ structure fires worth of carcinogens is motivation enough. I don't know if you ever experienced nicotine addiction but when I explain it to people with no clue I tell them to hold their breath as long as they can. Eventually they gasp. Thats what nicotine does to you. It sucks but i'm gonna do it this time.

@Matt_W_Evans - Thanks bro, and your totally right. The cost is defiantly a big motivator too. I appreciate your support. Day at a time.

Forum Member

Hey,
    I'm also a career FF/EMT and I have been quit for 5 weeks now. I understand what you are going through very well. I still have the same problem. I get angry very quick and the best taste ever was grizzly straight or winter green after a call. As you know its not easy and the first three weeks it gets worse. But It seemed to get easier after that. I am engaged to a beautiful woman and the last thing I wanted was to get married missing my jaw. I have a few tips that works for me.
    1. To keep you motivated and to stay strong about wanting to quit, just google image mouth cancer every time. IT WORKS!!!!
    2. Sounds crazy but black coffee through out the day works ok.
    3. Nicorette works good too. For me it seems to slowly take the urge away. ( 4mg.)
    4. Smoky Mountain Chew Tobacco free snuff is ok. Winter green flavor is the strongest. (no nicotine)
    http://www.smokeysnuff.com/product.html
    5. A cigar in the evening is also a good replacement.
    7. Make a bet with your wife. My buddy's promised him a rifle.
    6. Straight will power too. It doesn't own you. I just had to find another hobby or routine.

This doesn't happen over night. Just stick to and keep your eyes on the prize.
    I hope this helped. Keep me updated.

Thanks brother. I am doing good so far but the whole get angry quick thing is so true. Well had 3 medical past midnight so I am gonna try to take a nap. Thanks for everyones support!

Forum Member

Brother I don't know if this will be any help to ya or not; but it really boils down to not pinching a dip and putting it in your lip...no matter what. I had my last dip in January of 09 and I could slip right back to a can per day. I STILL crave it. But I'm not putting that **** in my face ever again. I cant.

@FF-Andy - I agree brother, Congrats on your success. I just think of my kids. Hell im losing my hair, don't want to lose my jaw too. Hard when everyone at my station dips like mad. Hell my LT goes through 2 cans a shift or close to it. Thanks brother for chiming in.

Forum Member

How are you holding up? I will tell you, I was a professional at dipping.... 2 cans everyday for 12 years. Went to bed every night with a dip and spit it out about 3 am. My last dip was 3 1/2 years ago. Cold Turkey, with lots of black coffee, tooth picks, chewing gum, peppermints, etc. The cravings never completely go away. Just now it is easier to fend off the cravings. Good luck and keep up the strong work!!

Thread Information