Like Tree8Likes

Thread: NJ Ticket While Using Blue Lights - Help!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Blue light permits are not statewide. They are signed by the executive officer (usually Mayor) of the town they are applied for. They have zero value outside of that town.

Your Mayor can't give you permission to use a blue light in any town other than his.

Pay your fine and move on.
    This is so false.

Forum Member

professional courtesy has to be earned by your actions It is much the same as respect from your peers.. It can not be demanded from anyone.

Wacking through someone else's town with illegal freak show lights WILL NOT earn you courtesy.

Originally Posted by tarek.hassan204

As far as being special thats not what my 3rd grade teacher told me. And stop calling me young, I may be young but im more mature than you will ever know.

What your 3rd grade teacher was implying is you are so special you should be in the institution at rahway

I'm pretty sure that your mommy & daddy were still trying to figure out how to play hide the sausage in jr high school when I started in EMS my young spanker.

Damn, did you really call the state? Why woul....LOL. Real quick, ask me if I care. You know where your phone call will go?

Yes : i made a call to an old friend who served in the Navy with me back in the 70's.
    look over your shoulder >>>>>> :-}

MembersZone Subscriber

Child, grow up.

You had that SOA card, but NOT your DL? I know, I know, you carry the SOA card in the glove compartment. Too much cash in your wallet. The card makes it bulge out too much.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

What is it lately with the number of wise a z z young people coming on here and stirring up s h i t storms?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by doc13mets View Post
    Technically, Police Cars, Fire Truck and Ambulances also do not receive any special privileges.
    If that is the case, why can they overtake intersections, while a blue-lighter can't?

39:4-91 Right of way of emergency vehicles; liability of drivers.

39:4-91. a. The driver of a vehicle upon a highway shall yield the right of way to any authorized emergency vehicle when it is operated on official business, or in the exercise of the driver's profession or calling, in response to an emergency call or in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law and when an audible signal by bell, siren, exhaust whistle or other means is sounded from the authorized emergency vehicle and when the authorized emergency vehicle, except a police vehicle, is equipped with at least one lighted lamp displaying a red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front of the vehicle.

Notice it says RED light, which is only permitted to the chiefs...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

In NJ Fire, Police and Ambulance all have red lights and sirens and may go through red lights. At least for Fire and Ambulance must come to a complete stop before proceeding through a red light. I am not a cop so I don't know for sure but I would guess they are supposed to stop too.

Blue lights are for personally owned vehicles which don't have sirens.
    Demons run when good men go to war.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by RBFunk View Post
    In NJ Fire, Police and Ambulance all have red lights and sirens and may go through red lights. At least for Fire and Ambulance must come to a complete stop before proceeding through a red light. I am not a cop so I don't know for sure but I would guess they are supposed to stop too.

Blue lights are for personally owned vehicles which don't have sirens.
    Which proves my point. POV's aren't emergency vehicles in NJ, even if the public is supposed to grant right-of-way. Doc13met's post was inaccurate.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Let us not forget the little spanker has a siren installed in his 6 yr old fusion which he shows off in his video. How many illegal things does he figure the cop is going to look the other way on.

I bet in his real part time job , he's a security guard at the mall.

people actually take out a loan to buy a 6 yr old beater???
    I don't take out loans to buy new vehicles,

But then again I'm not successful in life. :-}

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    If that is the case, why can they overtake intersections, while a blue-lighter can't?

39:4-91 Right of way of emergency vehicles; liability of drivers.

39:4-91. a. The driver of a vehicle upon a highway shall yield the right of way to any authorized emergency vehicle when it is operated on official business, or in the exercise of the driver's profession or calling, in response to an emergency call or in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law and when an audible signal by bell, siren, exhaust whistle or other means is sounded from the authorized emergency vehicle and when the authorized emergency vehicle, except a police vehicle, is equipped with at least one lighted lamp displaying a red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front of the vehicle.

Notice it says RED light, which is only permitted to the chiefs...
    Check the verbiage for the red light law in NJ, it's written EXACTLY the same as the blue light law.

No where in the NJ state statue does it give permission for Police, Fire or Ambulance to "take" the intersection. I'm just speaking to the letter of the law here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Which proves my point. POV's aren't emergency vehicles in NJ, even if the public is supposed to grant right-of-way. Doc13met's post was inaccurate.
    Read the citation from the law that you posted yourself.

Blue light law for volunteers:

6.Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members operating emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State including R.S.39:4-81, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management operating emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S.39:4-92.

Then refer to R.S. 39:4-92 since they are granted those privileges

N.J.S.A. 39:4-92 says that when an authorized emergency vehicle with an audible signal, and equipped, is immediately approaching:
    a) The drivers of every vehicle on the road must drive as near as possible and parallel to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, and out of intersections, and stop and remain there until the authorized vehicle has passed.
    b) The driver or person in control of a street car must immediately stop the car away from the intersection of the highway and keep it stopped until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.
    In addition, unless on official business, no driver of any vehicle may follow an authorized emergency vehicle, that’s traveling in response to an emergency, closer than 300 feet. No driver of any vehicle may driver nearer to, or park within 200 feet of, any fire department vehicle that has stopped in response to a fire alarm.

POV's are defined as emergency vehicles in NJ if you have all of the following, 1. The proper permit, 2. Emergency Lights and 3. Operating the vehicle with Emergency lights activated.

POV's operating under these conditions are granted the same provisions provided to emergency vehicles in R.S. 39:4-92

No where in NJ state will you find permission for any vehicle, emergency or not, to go through a red light. Although it is clearly not enforced and I don't believe it should be enforced while emergency vehicles are operating safely.

Forum Member

blowing through intersections or red lights is what gets members of emergency services KILLED.

FACT:
    The highest percentage of Emergency vehicle crashes happen at intersections whether controlled or not. Don't believe me check with your insurance company 's risk management dept.

followed by tanker trucks leaving the roadway and crashing.

followed by Volunteers crashing their pov's while en-route to a call. 3 in the past week alone.

Those stats tell us that blue light vollies driving beyond their ability & running on whacker adrenaline are more likely to kill them selves and others than any other causes of intentional death.

Forum Member

The Blue light in my department is a courtesy. We are able to have one light and use it to respond, but its not a law for the public to move out of the way. At intersections it causes confusion and makes it dangerous. In fact since we are required to follow all traffic laws using a blue at a light signal, especially red/stop is dumb.
    Honestly, the only time I use it is when I'm approaching a scene so fire police can identify me and direct me. Other than that it sometimes causes more incidents.
    fire49 and RBFunk like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    What is it lately with the number of wise a z z young people coming on here and stirring up s h i t storms?
    Sorry about that, I will behave now. LOL

Forum Member

FWIW I emailed NJ Motor Vehicle Commission on Friday about whether Blue Light Permits are valid state wide or only in the town that they are issued. I got an email back to call them but it was too late in the day. I will call on Monday and will report back.

Forum Member

I wonder why our young spanker hasn't come back to whine & argue ????

Maybe he's too busy looking over his shoulder to see who waiting to pull him over for illegal lighting and registration.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I wonder why our young spanker hasn't come back to whine & argue ????

Maybe he's too busy looking over his shoulder to see who waiting to pull him over for illegal lighting and registration.
    Looking for one red light so it looks like Rudolph

Forum Member

I called NJ MVC and your Blue Light permit is valid outside of your town BUT per my Department rules, if I am outside of town, I cannot use my blue light until I am inside the border.

Forum Member

Since our young spanker had to go to court 10 days ago, I wonder if the judge got smart & tossed his arrogant little arse in a cell for a while to learn a little respect for the law.

Thread Information