Forum Member

Default Rural fire dept. Need advice

Hey,
    I need some help and to get some insight on what others in my same position are doing or if there is any advice out there from experts.
    PROBLEM
    As of last year I have been put over all computer functions at my volunteer fd. During that time I have introduced Firehouse software to my department. We still use hard copy incident reports and I enter them into firehouse too. I am a career Firefighter also and sometimes I use there techniques but I am also aware that they are a larger department with different needs. My volley department runs roughly 250 a year. I am the only firefighter that enters reports there as of right now. This, as most know, takes a lot of time when its done once a month. I have spent countless hours entering 20 plus reports in one day. And over the last year I have built firehouse from the ground up for my department with some much information. We have a new computer that is about 6 months old that is kept locked up in the office area. I am one of a few with a key. The chiefs really do not want to move the computer to be accessible for other vollys and it is understandable. I have numerous Volunteers that are willing to help enter these reports.
    My solution
    Take the old computer (that still runs on Windows xp) and put in the meeting room. Then remote access the new computer. The new computer is using windows 7. I cant seem to get them to access each other. I can probably get a new computer just to remote access but I am not sure if that is necessary. I need some advice.

Forum Member

Minor comment on Firehouse software as we've gone down that road with very similar situation....and found its way too expensive and way to cumbersome for a 250 call a year FD operation.

We switched to Fire Station Software (firestationsoftware.com) and I recommend you take a look at it. Found it to offer just about everything we needed in our small Department.

As to the remote access.....www.logmein.com is your friend. You can use a free version to remotely access just about any computer that exists. That is, assuming the computer is linked to the internet. If you are not linked to the internet and it's only an internal network....Remote Desktop Client will allow you to do what you need.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Do you have to have a license for each computer???

Forum Member

Approach a computer company or geek that lived in the city, and ask for some pro bono work??

Forum Member

Default Thanks

I will look at other programs but I went with firehouse with the intent on looking towards the future. I understand firehouse but you are right it does offer more than we need but more is better than less. I currently use log me in . Com but it takes to long and has to many steps for what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help ill be looking at other programs.
    Firehouse standard only has one license.
    I wish I could find a computer nerd.

Forum Member

We have web access firehouse software. There is very little on the host computer as it is all on the host server from firehouse. This way, all they would need is internet access. Each user can be defined with roles and what they are allowed to access or do. I must say that we have had difficulties with the new web access and are considering switching software.

Forum Member

I would be looking at a "splitter" setup for dual monitors and an extra keyboard and mouse. email me if you would like help with equipment needed for this. kevin dot n2zpy at gmail dot com

Kevin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion View Post
    Honestly - if I were you, I'd look into GoToMyPC.com.

I've been using GoToMyPC.com for years. It's fantastic, only cost about $25.00 a month. You install it on the computer you need to work on (the one in the locked office).

Then, as long as you have access to the internet, you can log into the locked up computer.

I use GoToMyPC.com to remote into my own computers when I'm out of the office, or traveling. Some of my clients also have GoToMyPC.com on their computers and they can invite me to their computers so we can have interactive screen-sharing work sessions. It really is the quick and affordable way to remote into another computer.

Michelle
    1st Contact Databases

No need to spend this much on software if they are both on the same network. Gotomypc allows you access without a static IP address from anywhere. You can use a one time license like Radmin since you should be able to set up a static IP on the LAN for the locked PC. No monthly charges incurred.

Kevin

Thread Information