Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New era Wigwag module

  1. #26
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    And the OP, who did his original post about this product, now is backed up by another poster, never posted before also, just became a new member, from the same state as the OP, and the company.

    And you folks don't think the OP was just a schill for the company????

  2. #27
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks for all of the replys guys. I have been diving into the laws for emergency vehicles in MI over the last few days. What I have discovered is VFD POVs are considered emergency vehicles in MI, the same as cops, firetrucks or even private ambulances. I also discovered there is law that says all emergency vehicles should have a rooftop mounted light (Blue and red for cops, red and white for all others). They do not address head light/tail light flashers whether that would be wigwags or strobes. They also do not address interior lights on the dash or rear deck.

    So I am not sure what to make of it. Technically a good majority of emergency vehicles around here are illegal, including the cops! I will have to continue my research.


    Oh, and here is a DVD set for LVFD301
    http://tinyurl.com/kdztr45

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    Conspiracy? Nah. Just misguided marketing. I normally sniff them out pretty quick, as a search of my messages shows. My BS detector is sharp.

    I noticed you don't deny it either.

  4. #29
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,257

    Default

    While you are at it installing the wig wags, lights and other good old related stuff, get an exhaust siren and a set of train horns have that installed as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  5. #30
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    While you are at it installing the wig wags, lights and other good old related stuff, get an exhaust siren and a set of train horns have that installed as well.
    Michigan volunteers were running RLAS in the 1950's. There are areas such as my old hometown that are rather built-up, making RLAS a necessity for a timely response to the station. FF's there are township employees (POC), so I'm sure the township has a say in what they run, too.

    That's not to say that there aren't some yahoos who get carried away, but in general I'd opine that things aren't as wild and wooly as some would like to assume.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  6. #31
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Lvfd301 your sniffers off
    As for a shill I don't shill for anyone. Yes it is my first post on here because I just joined but guys on my department do have the lights he was talking about figured I could help but guess not. But to anyone that does care the box Todd d is talking about is a good deal.

  7. #32
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddb View Post
    Thanks for all of the replys guys. I have been diving into the laws for emergency vehicles in MI over the last few days. What I have discovered is VFD POVs are considered emergency vehicles in MI, the same as cops, firetrucks or even private ambulances. I also discovered there is law that says all emergency vehicles should have a rooftop mounted light (Blue and red for cops, red and white for all others). They do not address head light/tail light flashers whether that would be wigwags or strobes. They also do not address interior lights on the dash or rear deck.

    So I am not sure what to make of it. Technically a good majority of emergency vehicles around here are illegal, including the cops! I will have to continue my research.

    l]
    Volunteer firefighters do not fall under the same category as law enforcement or ambulances.

    Another thing to check is ask your insurance company if they cover you for liability or collision if you have a crash while responding with aforementioned lights running emergency.
    Most won't cover you and will cancel your policy.

    Quite sure the leasing contract might be void also if the lease calls for personal use.

  8. #33
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Volunteer firefighters do not fall under the same category as law enforcement or ambulances.
    As noted, though - many of those MI "volunteers" are technically not volunteers - they're paid employees. Thus if their employer (typically a township or village) signs off on it, their vehicles do become emergency vehicles on a par with other emergency vehicles.

    I do believe NY considers a fire chief's vehicle, when displaying RLAS, a bona fide emergency vehicle.

    I recall that Dad had to tell the insurance company he had a light on his vehicle - albeit only a flashing red sealed beam mounted on the bumper. That was in MI in the 50's.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Closeout Module Status
    By chiefb1 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 12:26 AM
  2. Door Airbag Module Exposed
    By rmoore in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
  3. Closeout module for all grants,,closed
    By jam24u in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 01:13 PM
  4. Plague Training Module
    By SANDSTROMJM in forum Terrorism
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:02 AM
  5. Burns From Airbag Module
    By Fire1201 in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-1999, 06:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register