Forum Member

Default Birmingham area Fire Departments

My fiancee and I are looking to move to the Pelham/Hoover area after we get married in July. Currently in Florida and I am NREMT-B and just starting a FF1&2 academy.

Anyone have experience with career departments south of downtown Birmingham?As far as hiring process and your career so far. Not necessarily looking for the city FD. i.e. Hoover, Pelham, Mountain Brook, Homewood.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Wow, thanks FF_America. I just checked the Jefferson County Personnel website last week and the position wasn't listed.

Forum Member

No problem at all. I'm on their email list and it was just posted this afternoon.

Forum Member

I have two questions for anyone that can help me out:
    1.Can anyone comment on the financial troubles the city/county appear to be in?

2. Is Birmingham an attractive city for a single male as far as things to do?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    I have two questions for anyone that can help me out:
    1.Can anyone comment on the financial troubles the city/county appear to be in?

2. Is Birmingham an attractive city for a single male as far as things to do?
    1. Although Jefferson County faced solvency issues, the City of Birmingham was and still is financially stable. The collapse of the bond market in 2008 started the county debt woes. Jefferson County filed for bankruptcy in 2011 citing over $4 billion in debt. In about 2 years time, however, the county was able to get out from under its bankruptcy after selling over half a million dollars of debt that was taken out for sewer infrastructure. I am not sure how Jefferson County sewer rates have changed or affected county residents.

Birmingham's finances and Jefferson County's finances are completely separate. The biggest connection is probably the fact that Birmingham, as the county seat, faced higher interest rates for the bonds that it wanted to issue. They seem to have weathered the storm better than the 2011 and 2012 news reports may have suggested. I think Birmingham also received federal grant money to hire firefighters in recent years.

2. Birmingham is without a doubt the most populous and most cosmopolitan metro area in Alabama. If you're one to take initiative, there's plenty to do. I don't live in Birmingham, but I'm moderately familiar with the city. People are generally cool. If you're the type to go out and proactively seek what you want in life, there's probably a great chance that Birmingham has a space for you to thrive. With that being said, the best thing to do is visit and feel it out.

Forum Member

Thank you for posting that. I have heard good things about BFRS back when I lived in the Southeast. Do you have any info about the department regarding morale, reputation, etc?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    Thank you for posting that. I have heard good things about BFRS back when I lived in the Southeast. Do you have any info about the department regarding morale, reputation, etc?
    I do not have any special info on BFRS. I intend to learn more over the course of the year.

Thread Information