Forum Member

Default New here and new Hire

Hey guys/girls just stopping by to say hello and I am a new hire in my area my asst chief called me the other day an notified me that my hire on date will be Jan 27th and I am to report to drills starting in Feb. I am really excited and can not wait to start my schooling and get certified. Do you guys/girls have any tips to give to a newbie except to listen and take in EVERYTHING I am taught?

Forum Member

Congrats, I take it is paid

What state are you in?

Show up early, get in shape,

Stay out of any trouble, including a parking ticket

Forum Member

Yes it is a paid position. I am in Ohio. I don't have any schooling but they are sending me to school for FF l and basic EMT

Forum Member

Hello all... Just a quick question I know there is really no true answer to this but trying to get a decent know about of what to expect.. But what happens at some of the drills you guys have on your departments? Also I know I should contact my department and I will when time gets closer to get full details BUT when should you shave your beard? LOL I don't know if I should have it shaved for my first drill or before that.

Forum Member

So you have been on one drill already with a beard?

Is this with your department or ff1 school??

Forum Member

I have not started my drills yet.. I get hired in on Jan 27th and then I start my drills in Feb.. I will start my FF1 school soon also... My drills with be with my department

Forum Member

Surprised you did not shave for interviews

Surprised the department has not told you their grooming policy

Unless you see others with beards

You should check with the school to see what their policy is

Forum Member

I was told in my interview it will need to go.. I mean its not long or anything I shaved before I went I had it trimmed WAY down where you could barely see it but I knew I would have to shave it off and they told me that. But I wasnt sure if I had to before I started my drills or not

Forum Member

Suggest very highly
    You do not want to be an example of wrong the first day

Do a search of ff 1 and you will see some comments on what to expect

Good luck

Forum Member

My FF1 and FF2 instructors would make you drive shave with a single blade razor if you didn't show up clean shaved, or leave the class... and I mean to the skin! No shadow at all! I shaved in the morning before work, then went to class that night after work at 1800 and had the slightest stubble.. he still had me shave, and it wasn't even a practical night!

The way I look at it, you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to get hired in a field with little to no training, experience, or schooling. Not to mention that the fire service is a VERY competitive place to land a paid position. With that being said do not give them any reason to second guess giving you this opportunity.

Congrats on the hire!

Forum Member

If they have already told you to shave the beard and you have not done it yet, you are sending the right message. The fire department is a paramilitary organization where we follow orders. You are not sending the right message. Shave the beard YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Shave now if you haven't already. Next put in 150%, they gave you a shot over many people I assume so prove them you deserve it! Keep your ears open and your mouth shut. You do that and you'll have a great career! Congrats and good luck! Most importantly, Be Safe!

Forum Member

Thank you for all of the replies. I will shave the beard and all.. I also have to call the Asst Chief back and find out what station I will be going to work at and start my drills since I am right in the middle of 2 stations

Forum Member

I know I sound like a broken record. But once again I got a call from my Asst Chief this morning and he told me they did get all the paperwork back from the physical and all the doctors and everything is a go.. They will hire me in on Jan 27th and I will be starting my FFl classes on Feb 12th. Now just have to go to the station and get some paperwork filled out .. Really excited to start this

Thread Information