Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Personal portable radios

Forum Member

Default Personal portable radios

Just wondering how many of the volunteer departments out there purchase their own radio equipment for personal and/or on the job use?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

If you mean how many members purchase their own I can answer that. On both of the POC FDs I am a member of only one uber wacker has bought his own radio, The rest are purchased by the FDs nd either assigned or kept on the rigs for FFs to use.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county assigned each department a number of radios based on their officer and apparatus allotment. Our current system already has more radios operating than originally planned. In addition, they own the FCC license, so they determine how many radios are allowed. Personal purchase of radios is not allowed.

As far as "personal" radios, only officers at Captain or above have portable radios assigned to them. All others are assigned to the apparatus.

At close to $2200 per unit, I can think of a lot better things to buy with my money. If my VFD wants me to have a radio, they can assign me one.
    BrianB35 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Anybody on a trunked system who buys their own radio has too much money on their hands. Let me send you my address.....

VHF-Low systems are getting rare, as is the equipment, although areas changing over from low band means that radios can be available.

VHF-High systems are getting to be a problem, however, as radios are available for under $40. They may not be Milspec, intrinsically safe, etc, and so on, but they'll transmit and receive. Our local communications coordinator tells me its becoming an issue here. Radios for the UHF band are similarly available, so I'd imagine there could be issues there, too.

If you do buy a trunked radio, odds are you'll have to get someone to put your radio on the system, which may be a real challenge unless you've got connections...

That said, I'm not sure anyone around here has their own fire radio. I have my own radio for the tourist railroad I volunteer with, and it's set up to hit a couple of the cross-band repeaters in this area, but that's another story. As I'm one of the folks around during the day, a past chief, and an EMT, I have a department radio issued to me.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

it was important that have your personal portable radio, i think it will need to have all firefighters
    http://chatwing.com/

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

We don't allow personally-owned radios. The county supplies a radio for each company chief, assistant chief, and senior captain, and a specific number per engine/tanker/rescue, etc.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

The dept I'm on..combination dept..radios are supplied to full time personnel..none supplied to part-time personnel..so we purchase our own for fire ground activities. I do believe that we are in the process of trying for a grant that would supply a radio for each seat in our trucks, which I think is great for those who dont have the funding to purchase one of their own

Forum Member

Our radios are supplied to us, but we run on an analog Motorola Trunked system soon to be a P25 system; radios are thousands.

Call me a cheap skate but there is simply no way I would spend my own money for a fire department radio.
    BrianB35 likes this.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Call me a cheap skate but there is simply no way I would spend my own money for a fire department radio.
    Since we do not get them provided for us..I kind of thought its on me to ensure my safety. There was a time where I had sold my portable to pay for an emergency that came up and the time I was without it was just weird feeling..I really didnt like the feeling of going in without a radio..or having to make sure I was always with someone that had one. Just my personal feelings but I can't hardly go without it now, just that "safe" feeling of having it I guess

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT3634 View Post
    Since we do not get them provided for us..I kind of thought its on me to ensure my safety. There was a time where I had sold my portable to pay for an emergency that came up and the time I was without it was just weird feeling..I really didnt like the feeling of going in without a radio..or having to make sure I was always with someone that had one. Just my personal feelings but I can't hardly go without it now, just that "safe" feeling of having it I guess
    Learn to stand up for your rights and safety. If you keep buying your own stuff (instead of demanding that the powers in charge provide you with basic, necessary equipment) they will eventually make you buy everything from bunker gear to fire trucks. We're not talking a flashlight or a small set of tools for your bunker coat...........Make THEM buy you or provide you with a radio!!!!

That's pretty much the only thing that isnt provided. Everything else from top to bottom is purchased including personal masks so I just go with the flow..I dont mind spending a little money and being able to tamper with it when I need to.

Sorry NO, and not only no, but HELL NO! it is not imperative that everyone have a radio. Is it safer? Yes it is, but operationally if at least one person on the crew has a radio there is contact with command if need be. I agree with FWDbuff the FD should be buying your radios, not you.

If you need it the FD should be supplying it.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Sorry NO, and not only no, but HELL NO! it is not imperative that everyone have a radio. Is it safer? Yes it is, but operationally if at least one person on the crew has a radio there is contact with command if need be. I agree with FWDbuff the FD should be buying your radios, not you.

If you need it the FD should be supplying it.
    The exact reason I have one..because the department does not supply them and there's not many that do have them...They do not supply them because our off duty personnel do not respond or use radio traffic while enroute to the station, we are to report directly to the station and stay off the radio unless you are a captain..

I hardly use my radio on the fire ground but I PERSONALLY want to know that if I NEED it..it's there, most of the time there are only about 2-3 out of a crew of 6 on the truck that actually have a radio.

I dont know why you guys are getting bent out of shape over the fact that my department doesnt supply portable radios...the original poster just wanted to know how many of us are purchasing personal radios.

I dont know why you guys are getting bent out of shape over the fact that my department doesnt supply portable radios...
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........because they SHOULD????

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    lol well I do agree..but I'm just a small fish in the big pond that is municipal firefighting

lol well I do agree..but I'm just a small fish in the big pond that is municipal firefighting
    Nope, you are alowing them not to buy needed equipment because YOU BUY IT FOR THEM. What's next?

If 2 or 3 out of 6 on a crew have a radio I would bet your FD is better off than many.

Sorry, I will NEVER agree with buying a portable radio that my FD should be supplying.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Time for another bake sale...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Time for another bake sale...
    And as Fyred has said before......When was the last time you saw the Cops or the Road Department having a bake sale when they needed a new cruiser, ammunition, a dump truck or some asphalt?
    BrianB35 likes this.

Thread Information