Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Front Bumper Hose Load

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I guess I should explain that our 2-200 foot 2 inch bumper preconnects are our primary attack lines. They are set up exactly the same as over the pump crosslays would be.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Typically we have a 100' of 1.75" in flat loaded into a cube. Nothing fancy as in most cases its used for trash fires, vehicles, and/or maybe a model T garage. With that, it's one guy on the nozzle/line and the other to flake it out and do whatever else is needed.
    "model T garage"???

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    "model T garage"???
    My district has a bunch of homes from the late 1800's to early 1900's, when the car first became the rage, a great many of these homes built basically a large shed to house the new family car, which in many cases was a Ford Model T. Many of them are still around, even in their original form; man door door and single window(maybe) on the back wall, double swing door on the front, alley, side, just large enough for the car.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Thanks for the response.

That's what I was picturing, just never heard the term.

Forum Member

http://priorityfirefighting.blogspot...loads.html?m=1

Here's a blog I wrote about the scorpion load...

MembersZone Subscriber

Name:  IMG_2662 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views: 504
Size:  37.6 KB

Here's a shot of one of our bumper rolls (50, 100, 150 or 200 ft.) All fit in nearly the same space as most bumper troughs of 100 ft. As previously noted, if a line needs to be extended beyond the 200 ft up to a max of 400 ft, you merely connect it to the load on the opposite side of the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    My district has a bunch of homes from the late 1800's to early 1900's, when the car first became the rage, a great many of these homes built basically a large shed to house the new family car, which in many cases was a Ford Model T. Many of them are still around, even in their original form; man door door and single window(maybe) on the back wall, double swing door on the front, alley, side, just large enough for the car.
    We have similar neighborhoods. They are detached garages where exposures are not usually an issue. They are well built with rough cut redwood that hold up well to fire. Too bad structures aren't built like that anymore.
    IAFF

Forum Member

My car barely fits in my model T garage, need the garage to be empty and even then its a tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    My car barely fits in my model T garage, need the garage to be empty and even then its a tight fit.
    Back when the ex was still here, we both drove compacts - those two 3/4 size cars both fit in our 1.5 car garage...

Back to the regular programming...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarff View Post
    This is the load we use except our tray is center of the bumper and a little larger. Pretty simple grab the nozzel with one hand and the two ears with the other and and go. Ours is 100 feet pre-connect of 1 3/4" with a donut roll of 50ft sitting behind dead incase you need to had another section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSb9V2dAbgs
    I saw this and loaded it into our bumper line. LOVE IT. I got all the guys and showed them how to pull it.
    Thanks for the post.

We had a 100' high rise pack in the front bumper of our heavy rescue with a CAFS, but quit using it because people kept pulling the wrong lever on the cafs system and charging the line in the compartment versus the booster line that was supposed to be used. A;ways made a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by lvfd2167 View Post
    I have a quick question, what are you all using in a front bumper hose load that is easy to deploy? We are currently using an accordion load that is a little difficult to deploy quickly and possibly one day will get charged in the tray. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    We had a 100' high rise pack in the front bumper of our heavy rescue with a CAFS, but quit using it because people kept pulling the wrong lever on the cafs system and charging the line in the compartment versus the booster line that was supposed to be used. A;ways made a big mess.
    So, because of a training issue you stopped using a pre-connected line on your rig? How about better training, or at least better labeling of the discharges?
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

Forum Member

we currently use the same load. We have not had many issues with it loaded this way. It has become charged in the tray one time but that was due to a pin coming out of the pump panel operating lever. Was an easily corrected issue.

We triple load our speedlays and the front bumper. Works awesome for stopping short on vehicle fires.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

My volunteer department used to use a regular flat load in the front box, but we recently switched to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvyOufEUo8

It works great and is much easier to deploy with low man power. We run 100' of 1.75'' line with a combination nozzle.

Forum Member

Double Post

Forum Member

Our bumper line is 1 1/2" rubber hose, used for trash and car fires, so there's no need for any big rush. If it gets charged in the bed, that's the fault of the engineer...

100' 1 3/4" double donut and 25' 5" flat. But we have a pretty big front bumber compartment with Discharge inside for what we call a "trash line".
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

This is our front bumper set-up on our newest engine. The way we load it has changed since this picture was taken. This sytem works very well for us, easy and fast to unload, and even easier and faster to reload.

Name:  819.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  32.1 KB

My house was just using a flat load. We tried the scorpion out today and really like it. Comes out easy and flakes nicely. Now we have to see if the other shifts will cooperate. I'm sure they will once they try it.

Thread Information