Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: aerial ladders

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by markyc View Post
    If you look at my orignal msg, it was a genuine query, not to make myself superior.
    I know many friends in US Fire Dept, none have gone off on 1 for suggesting different ways of doing things.
    Here's why I think you came off poorly here:

1) Ok, just comparing Europe to US like i said, we do tend to many things wiser and safer over here.
    2) It s good to see more European ideas being adopted in the US.:-)
    3) It may be different to US ideas, remember when US engines were open cab and men were hanging on back steps, look at the change now.

Your messages were derogatory and attacking methods and equipment in the US. That is plain and simple. Maybe it comes across that way because English isn't your first laguage, I don't know.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

The only seats needed on a apparatus are in the cab to get the crew to the scene safely. A seat for a aerial engineer is like a arm chair fire fighter,useless ! Fire ground operations are fluid, not some video game! Do not give me the line European firefighters are better and are more safe ,the job is the same all over the world and not one country is better! Firefighters from all countries risk life daily trying to keep the red dragon from consuming life and property.

I'm gonna have to agree with a lot of the guys here. Seats for Aerial Ladder operators here in the US have no real place. Of all the times I've operated our Ladder at the scene of a working fire, I cannot think of a single time that I've just stayed put behind the controls and watched my guy up on the tip work. If I'm not helping to co-ordinate fire suppression from where I'm standing on the turn table. I'm on the ground helping throw ground ladders, or helping getting the next truck company set up in a good position.

I understand that there are different methods and technologies over across the pond in Europe. And hey thats cool! Those are things you folks have developed over hundreds and hundreds of years fighting fire. But remember, we've also had hundreds of hundreds of years to develop our OWN methods and Technologies to fight fire over here in the United States. There are some huge differences over here that dictate why we do the way we do things. To try and list them all would take forever.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

How does a seat restrict you from doing any of those activities?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim54 View Post
    How does a seat restrict you from doing any of those activities?
    How does a seat HELP you do any of those activities?
    CaptOldTimer and FyredUp like this.

It doesn't so much restrict anyone from doing that, as much as it just leaves it useless or impractical. If I'm not gonna have the time to sit down, then why even have a seat in the first place? Its not a matter of what the seat will or will not allow you to do, its a matter of even needed it in the first place.
    CaptOldTimer and FyredUp like this.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by markyc View Post
    It seems some people are not too keen on positive change, the best 2 aerial ladder manufrs both have seats. What i meant to explain is your seated you can still have a good view, it wasn t meant as criticism of US Aerials, Metz is slowly gaining sales in N America.
    We are not operating cranes or shovels, with drag lines, which have seats for their operators. We are in fact operating fire apparatus aerial equipment, which is a tool that needs not to be taken lightly. A good aerial operator needs to be able to watch what they are doing and moved freely about on the turn table. Having been a firefighter as well as an officer in a truck company, I never had a chance or need to sit. I had always kept busy watching the aerial, the tip, the fly pipe, the members on the aerial, the building, overhead wires and any thing else that was near my truck and aerial. If I did want to rest a bit, I usually had the chance to learn up against the cab of the truck while on the turntable.

The USA is very advanced in firefighting. Some thing you guys overseas will never be seen in the USA departments.

I did by the way try out a truck with a seat by the aerial at a display, but to told the salesman, that I prefer to stand and know what I was doing and not to sit.
    SuperFire123 likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information