Like Tree16Likes

Thread: aerial ladders

Forum Member

Default aerial ladders

Hi, are there any Aerial Ladder manufacturers in the US that have seats for operator-control besides Rosenbauer?
    It s standard over in Europe.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Not to my knowledge

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Geezus, stand up. Why do you need to sit down to run an aerial? If the world turns to crap and stuff starts falling you will be able to run faster if you are already standing up. And YES, I am 100% serious.
    cpg113 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

AFAIK, it's only Rosenbauer.

Having operated one of the seat-equipped machines, I personally prefer to stand when operating the aerial. I can better judge placement and possible obstructions on the right side of the aerial when standing, and haven't ever had to operate an aerial so long that I had to rest my feet.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

does the seat have a cup holder ?
    ?

Forum Member

Ok, just comparing Europe to US like i said, we do tend to many things wiser and safer over here.
    To Fyredup, it s just easier and better for concerntration.
    You have some very good ladder manufacturers, just wondered why no seats.

Forum Member

Markyc....As someone who operated an aerial for over 12 years......there's no good reason to sit while doing your job. Standing while operating the controls is paramount and you can sit on your soft-***** back at the station.....and "I" am 100% serious like FyredUp .....REALLY??? A SEAT????
    cpg113 likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Hi Jay, i think some have misread my orignal question.
    I was just asking why US manufacturers had not offered seats, it s standard over here.
    Like i said, reasons are good.
    I ve met several US firemen who say it s a good idea to have seats when been over in UK.

Forum Member

Standing would seem to provide better sight lines and better mobility, which allows for even better sight lines.
    If you can't properly concentrate while standing, you are in the wrong line of work.

Forum Member

It seems some people are not too keen on positive change, the best 2 aerial ladder manufrs both have seats. What i meant to explain is your seated you can still have a good view, it wasn t meant as criticism of US Aerials, Metz is slowly gaining sales in N America.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by markyc View Post
    It seems some people are not too keen on positive change, the best 2 aerial ladder manufrs both have seats. What i meant to explain is your seated you can still have a good view, it wasn t meant as criticism of US Aerials, Metz is slowly gaining sales in N America.
    Okay, what makes a seat a positive change? Because you say so and because it is done in Europe? Sorry that isn't a good enough reason for me to say "Golly, you're right!"

Here the aerial operator may not stay at the pedestal for the entire fire, they may have other tasks to complete and I would find sitting down and having to get up to do things and then sit back down to run the aerial tedious and a waste of time.

If it works for you I say FANTASTIC. But the attitude "Ok, just comparing Europe to US like i said, we do tend to many things wiser and safer over here" is simply no way to have an open discussion on a topic when your base premise is your way is automatically better because it is your way.

Forum Member

Fyredup, i agree we do things differently, but given time things will go over to seating in the US.
    I met a Chief from Fairfax Co, he was all for seated operators but explained to me the builders were the obstacle.
    It s good to see more European ideas being adopted in the US.:-)

Forum Member

Fyredup, i agree we do things differently, but given time things will go over to seating in the US.
    I met a Chief from Fairfax Co, he was all for seated operators but explained to me the builders were the obstacle.
    It s good to see more European ideas being adopted in the US.:-)
    Maybe the chief was just being polite!

If they were to put a seat on aerials in my department, I guarantee they would all mysteriously "break" within a week.

As was mentioned above, the aerial operator is not a spectator. He may have tactical assignments other than positioning the stick.

Forum Member

Hi Captnjak, he had a good go on the said aerial!
    Be interested to hear from anyone on this forum who has Metz ladders.
    It may be different to US ideas, remember when US engines were open cab and men were hanging on back steps, look at the change now.
    That was positve and safe.

Forum Member

Hi Captnjak, he had a good go on the said aerial!
    Be interested to hear from anyone on this forum who has Metz ladders.
    It may be different to US ideas, remember when US engines were open cab and men were hanging on back steps, look at the change now.
    That was positve and safe.
    You know I don't think you want to discuss anything. I think you just wanted to come here and try to make yourself look all superior. Sorry, it didn't work.
    JayDudley likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I pee standing up -and I also fight fire standing up.
    FyredUp, ctxffman and JayDudley like this.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I pee standing up -and I also fight fire standing up.
    And I think that pretty much settles it!
    FyredUp and ctxffman like this.

Forum Member

If you look at my orignal msg, it was a genuine query, not to make myself superior.
    I know many friends in US Fire Dept, none have gone off on 1 for suggesting different ways of doing things.

Forum Member

If you look at my orignal msg, it was a genuine query, not to make myself superior.
    I know many friends in US Fire Dept, none have gone off on 1 for suggesting different ways of doing things.
    Here's why I think you came off poorly here:

1) Ok, just comparing Europe to US like i said, we do tend to many things wiser and safer over here.
    2) It s good to see more European ideas being adopted in the US.:-)
    3) It may be different to US ideas, remember when US engines were open cab and men were hanging on back steps, look at the change now.

Your messages were derogatory and attacking methods and equipment in the US. That is plain and simple. Maybe it comes across that way because English isn't your first laguage, I don't know.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Giving the benefit of the doubt, please suggest to us some of the positive attributes of a seated operators position? Sometimes change comes hard here, but mostly because we require reasons to change from what works to an unknown.

Forum Member

Here's why I think you came off poorly here:

1) Ok, just comparing Europe to US like i said, we do tend to many things wiser and safer over here.
    2) It s good to see more European ideas being adopted in the US.:-)
    3) It may be different to US ideas, remember when US engines were open cab and men were hanging on back steps, look at the change now.

Your messages were derogatory and attacking methods and equipment in the US. That is plain and simple. Maybe it comes across that way because English isn't your first laguage, I don't know.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

The only seats needed on a apparatus are in the cab to get the crew to the scene safely. A seat for a aerial engineer is like a arm chair fire fighter,useless ! Fire ground operations are fluid, not some video game! Do not give me the line European firefighters are better and are more safe ,the job is the same all over the world and not one country is better! Firefighters from all countries risk life daily trying to keep the red dragon from consuming life and property.

Forum Member

I'm gonna have to agree with a lot of the guys here. Seats for Aerial Ladder operators here in the US have no real place. Of all the times I've operated our Ladder at the scene of a working fire, I cannot think of a single time that I've just stayed put behind the controls and watched my guy up on the tip work. If I'm not helping to co-ordinate fire suppression from where I'm standing on the turn table. I'm on the ground helping throw ground ladders, or helping getting the next truck company set up in a good position.

I understand that there are different methods and technologies over across the pond in Europe. And hey thats cool! Those are things you folks have developed over hundreds and hundreds of years fighting fire. But remember, we've also had hundreds of hundreds of years to develop our OWN methods and Technologies to fight fire over here in the United States. There are some huge differences over here that dictate why we do the way we do things. To try and list them all would take forever.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

How does a seat restrict you from doing any of those activities?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim54 View Post
    How does a seat restrict you from doing any of those activities?
    How does a seat HELP you do any of those activities?
    CaptOldTimer and FyredUp like this.

Thread Information