Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Same problem here, our dispatch(county wide FD, EMS, LE) is run by the City PD in the largest town in the county. They always dispatch LE first. We have complained many times to no avail so we've just learned to live with it, it's not going to change until the current PD Chief retires and they get new management. I will say, as is the case with us, it's probably not the dispatchers fault. They are just doing what their told from the higher ups, right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Same problem here, our dispatch(county wide FD, EMS, LE) is run by the City PD in the largest town in the county. They always dispatch LE first. We have complained many times to no avail so we've just learned to live with it, it's not going to change until the current PD Chief retires and they get new management. I will say, as is the case with us, it's probably not the dispatchers fault. They are just doing what their told from the higher ups, right or wrong.
    Im sure that our dispatchers are doing what they are told to and I can't fault them for following orders. I do however know for a FACT that the dispatchers they hire are put in LEO dispatch and if they can't handle dispatching LEO they are moved to Fire Rescue dispatch and we just have to deal with it. Because of the starting salary offered to dispatchers, they seldom get quality applicants. Sending them to dispatch training never guarantees a good dispatcher. I just wish they had some sort of screening test to weed out the ones who can't chew gum and pat their bellies at the same time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedan525 View Post
    Im sure that our dispatchers are doing what they are told to and I can't fault them for following orders. I do however know for a FACT that the dispatchers they hire are put in LEO dispatch and if they can't handle dispatching LEO they are moved to Fire Rescue dispatch and we just have to deal with it. Because of the starting salary offered to dispatchers, they seldom get quality applicants. Sending them to dispatch training never guarantees a good dispatcher. I just wish they had some sort of screening test to weed out the ones who can't chew gum and pat their bellies at the same time.
    I can see where that would could cause some issues and we're lucky we don't have that problem. We do have good dispatchers, just a messed up way of dispatching. Good luck to you, I hope you're able to find a solution!

To make the hiring list our dispatcher wannabes have to pass a typing test (important, given CAD, etc), plus the usual civil service stuff. Occasionally we'll have someone with emergency services experience get hired there, but many of our new dispatchers come on the job not knowing a scanner from a TFT from a pulse ox when they first start.

We'd love to get them out in the field, but they're perennially short-handed and pulling someone off a desk would usually mean overtime to cover the position.

I suggested that we issue the new dispatchers scanners programmed for our frequencies, as well as surrounding counties, but that word "overtime" came up again. I figured if they could hear how others were doing it, they might learn from what they heard.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information