Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By captnjak

Thread: EVO Personal Liability

Forum Member

Default EVO Personal Liability

Ladies and Gents,
    I had a question that I was hoping you could perhaps answer for me. I am putting this in the Probie house as opposed to the other forum simply because this is really a probie question.

I am nearing the end of my training in EVO and I was wondering about my personal liability. Now I have been taught from the get-go that driving the speed limit is impractical, and that stopping in response to a civvy doing something stupid isn't going to happen on a dime; that we are not bound to primia facia but rather due regard, but in an accident we will always be found at fault.

Now with that said, when driving an EV, am I driving 'on my license' or the departments? What I mean is that, should John Q Public decide to slam on his brakes or pull out in front of me, and I end up in an accident, does that go on my driving record? And should he end up with some mysterious *** pain, can he come after me personally?

I am asking not because I intend to get in any accidents, but I figure I should ask! Apparently people around here are notorious for pulling out in front of you and slamming on their brakes.

Perhaps one of you could explain this to me.

Forum Member

In my state it does

Need to check where you are

Forum Member

Alright thanks. Where would I look this info up?

Thanks again!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    Alright thanks. Where would I look this info up?

Thanks again!
    Call where you get your drivers license

Forum Member

I believe people will come after you personally regardless of your location. Lots of lawyers out there. Your best defense is following ALL rules of the department you work for and the state you live in. If someone slams on the brakes in front of you, there should be room to stop or you were too close. You must drive defensively. People will do goofy things when confronted with emergency responders with lights and sirens/air horns. Our goal is to protect life and property. Getting in accidents does not accomplish that and also keeps us from arriving at the original emergency.

Having said that, personal liability just might be a topic that you don't want to put in the hands of a bunch of anonymous out of state strangers on the internet.

Forum Member

Very, very true... not to insult anyone's legal expertise, but I definitely wasn't taking anyone's word for God, but rather just to get a feel for it how things are. And I definitely get what you're saying about protecting life and property; the way I was approaching this was: you get life insurance in case you die; you inquire about liability in case bad things happen-- both things you try to avoid!

Alright Fire49. I wasn't sure if there was a better location, since around here if you call the DMV, you generally die of old age before someone with half a brain answers the phone! lol
    Last edited by Highschoolvolunteer; 12-30-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Clarification

Forum Member

It varies from state to state I'll bet but here is the New Jersey answer. First you are always driving on your license but your department's insurance. IF there is an accident AND you are found to have been operating in negligent manner then you might be held responsible. Second, the law in NJ is no speeding even with lights and siren. Not everyone obeys the strict letter of the law but when someone manages to have a wreck the question always comes up. "Were they speeding?".

The best advice I can give you is to not drive beyond your abilities. You wreck and you aren't going to make it to the call anyway. And learn to look way down the road. If you see a corner half a mile down the road that someone could pull out of, be prepared to brake or go to the left. Hitting a minivan full of nuns is going to get you talked about and not in a good way. Ask advice from the other drivers and watch what they do. Be safe.
    Demons run when good men go to war.

Forum Member

If you are on a paid city dept most hr depts know the answer

Forum Member

...Now I have been taught from the get-go that driving the speed limit is impractical...
    Not sure that's a statement you want on the internet and associated with your name.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Very, very true... not to insult anyone's legal expertise, but I definitely wasn't taking anyone's word for God, but rather just to get a feel for it how things are. And I definitely get what you're saying about protecting life and property; the way I was approaching this was: you get life insurance in case you die; you inquire about liability in case bad things happen-- both things you try to avoid!

Alright Fire49. I wasn't sure if there was a better location, since around here if you call the DMV, you generally die of old age before someone with half a brain answers the phone! lol
    Do you want to say what state you are in and someone from that state may have the answer

Thread Information