Forum Member

Default San Francisco H2 Firefighter Academy Question

Hi All,

I am trying to get some information about the H2 Firefighter Academy in January. I am hoping to get in touch with some recruits from recent academies or anyone who might have infor pertinent to the SFFD.

I will be grateful for any and all information. Can you guys help me with some of the following questions?
    (I did a station visit but I only saw the firefighters briefly before they got a call)

1. What is the PT (physical training) like?
    a. Is it more running or Crossfit or FF agility type of PT?
    b. If running- how many miles on average?

2. Where is most of the academy held Treasure Island or Folsom+17th Facility?

3. How tough is the testing and skillls? And how bad is their attrition/dropout rate? What do most people struggle with?

4. What is the daily schedule like? And how many weeks is the academy?

5. What training modules are taught in the academy (SCBA, ladders, hose, RIC, Auto Ex, HazMat, etc.)?

6. I know they have wood ladders. What types and size wood ladders do they have and how stringent are you tested?

7. How fast does the academy move? Meaning do you get a good amount of practice time with skills before you are tested or no?

8. Is the academy more like a basic firefighter academy for guys with limited experience/no experience or more of a lateral academy where everyone has basically already been a full-time firefighter?

9. Does City College Fire Academy follow SFFD's curriculum and if so, can anyone who has been to City College's Academy shed some light?

10. Lastly I was moving from Southern California and contemplating living in Walnut Creek. How long does it take in traffic to get from Walnut Creek to San Francisco via the Freeway. Is there a better alternative to moving to Walnut Creek? I am trying to find a safe, pleasant area for my wife and I.

Anyhow, I know these are alot of questions and some might even be silly.. however, thank you for any and all the help you can provide.

Forum Member

do not know anything about sf, but have you read through this , may have some answers::

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t104209-25/ (San Francisco FD question.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CostaMesaFFCandidate27 View Post
    Hi All,

I am trying to get some information about the H2 Firefighter Academy in January. I am hoping to get in touch with some recruits from recent academies or anyone who might have infor pertinent to the SFFD.

I will be grateful for any and all information. Can you guys help me with some of the following questions?
    (I did a station visit but I only saw the firefighters briefly before they got a call)

3. How tough is the testing and skillls? And how bad is their attrition/dropout rate? What do most people struggle with?

5. What training modules are taught in the academy (SCBA, ladders, hose, RIC, Auto Ex, HazMat, etc.)?

6. I know they have wood ladders. What types and size wood ladders do they have and how stringent are you tested?

7. How fast does the academy move? Meaning do you get a good amount of practice time with skills before you are tested or no?

8. Is the academy more like a basic firefighter academy for guys with limited experience/no experience or more of a lateral academy where everyone has basically already been a full-time firefighter?

9. Does City College Fire Academy follow SFFD's curriculum and if so, can anyone who has been to City College's Academy shed some light?

10. Lastly I was moving from Southern California and contemplating living in Walnut Creek. How long does it take in traffic to get from Walnut Creek to San Francisco via the Freeway. Is there a better alternative to moving to Walnut Creek? I am trying to find a safe, pleasant area for my wife and I.

Anyhow, I know these are alot of questions and some might even be silly.. however, thank you for any and all the help you can provide.

Glad to help. However, I'm not a recruit but I know several and have had training staff tell me how it is.

Depends on who you have for PT that day.
    5 miles. Train running up hill with weights cause that's how they'll run you.

19TH and folsom and Treasure island.

Most academies are tough. You shouldn't think you can slack on anything. Just think with that mindset. I think around 3-5 people drop out per class. People struggle with Ladders and testing. Testing is ongoing.

17 weeks i believe. You can look it up on their website.

5. What training modules are taught in the academy.
    Basic

6. Testing is very crucial. They have a bunch of different ladders. You can just look online. 50 ext, 35ext, 24 straight, 22 straight...etc.

7. They show you something twice and you can be tested on it.

8. Some with and without any experience.

9. CCSF teaches IFSTA/ some SFFD (just to share)...depending on the instructors. . SFFD teaches the SFFD way.

10. Not long without traffic. 30 minutes. Depends on what time. With heavy traffic could take up to 1 1/2 hours. You can take bart too.

Forum Member

All ca dept questions should do to californiafirefighter.com. Great site!

Thread Information