Forum Member

Default Should I seal cribbing and step chocks?

I am going to build some step chocks for my department and was wondering if I should seal them or leave the natural?

Forum Member

I would't bother brother. Just use pressure treated lumber.

Forum Member

I was told you lose strength when you use pressure treated lumber.

Forum Member

We made our engines cribbing set out of pressure treated 4x4's and 6x6's about 10 years ago. We have used that cribbing tons of times and never had a problem. We have both poly and wooden stacked 2x2 step cribbing and both have held up great. Im not a lumber expert but having it being pressure treated will help it stand up to rot and decay. We use cribbing in rain, snow, and all sorts of environments and using treated lumber will help it stand up.

Forum Member

I made some ground pads and wheel chocks for my POC dept. and I put on a couple of coats of sealer and some enamel paint with sand in it for grip. The paint will help prevent absorption of water and fluids, and I painted them yellow for visibility. Not that they are fancy or anything, but it makes them last a little longer. I also sand all surfaces and round the corners to prevent splinters.
    Here's the thread on the wheel chocks;
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t125839/ (Cheap and easy wheel chocks)
    There's no need to paint cribbing, except for identification of the truck it belongs to.

MembersZone Subscriber

1st We were taught not to paint or seal wood cribbing as it made it more susptible to slide. @n pressure treated lumber is not recommended for cribbing as it will not give you any warning of failure. What is meant by this is non pressure treated would will have audible cracking sounds prior to complete failure most of the time. This sint a big issue in normal automobile extrications. But if you use your cribbing for anything else such as large vehicles or structural collapse you shouldnt use pressure treated lumber.

MembersZone Subscriber

Both treated and non-treated wood may be used for cribbing. Treated has no degradation in strength vs. non-treated, and both will indicate failure indicated by checks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by riverdiver View Post
    1st We were taught not to paint or seal wood cribbing as it made it more susptible to slide. @n pressure treated lumber is not recommended for cribbing as it will not give you any warning of failure. What is meant by this is non pressure treated would will have audible cracking sounds prior to complete failure most of the time. This sint a big issue in normal automobile extrications. But if you use your cribbing for anything else such as large vehicles or structural collapse you shouldnt use pressure treated lumber.
    I don't know where you got that info, but it's not correct. Just try and find large dimentional lumber that ISN'T treated. Treated wood with a lot of moisture may not make much noise, but you will see moisture seeping out of parts under pressure. If it is dry you WILL hear cracking. If you PROPERLY use cribbing, treated wood is NOT a problem. If you're going to shore up an Egyptian Pyramid or something you might want to use Oak, but 99.9% of the time, treated is ok for shoring in a USAR setting. It's more important to look at the individual piece of lumber for knots, cracks, and other defects. Unless you go out and amass a stockpile a boatload of custom cut clear Oak for cribbing, you're gonna be using treated wood.

Thread Information