Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Loudoun County, VA is hiring FF/EMT's. Closes 1/13/14

insert witty title here

Default Loudoun County, VA is hiring FF/EMT's. Closes 1/13/14

Class will start July 2014 with around 25 recruits. 42 hour work week. 3 different schedules depending on the station (24/72, 7/12 and 5/12)

https://www.jobaps.com/ldn/sup/BulPr...R2=F136&R3=592

FIREFIGHTER/EMT

Recruitment #14-F136-592

Date Opened: 1/3/2014 8:00:00 AM
    Closing Date: 1/13/2014 5:00:00 PM
    Hiring Range: $40,925
    Department: FIRE, RESCUE AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
    Job Type: Open and Competitive
    Full/Part-Time: Full-Time
    Eligible For: Full Benefits
    Reg/Temp: Regular
    Go Back Apply View Benefits
    INTRODUCTION

The Loudoun County Department of Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management is a growing organization that serves a large and diverse county and population located 30 miles northwest of Washington, DC. As a highly respected organization, we offer superior emergency and non-emergency services to 340,000 citizens within a 520 square mile area.

The Department of Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management is a combination career/volunteer organization comprised of over 500 employees and 800+ active operational and administrative volunteers. Operationally, we are responsible for staffing 19 Fire/Rescue stations, and an increased demand on Fire, Rescue, and EMS services necessitate the continued expansion of our ranks. We seek to hire a highly motivated, effective, and diverse workforce to meet the needs of the County’s citizens, work force, and visitors that are willing to operate within the organization’s core values of Teamwork, Integrity, Professionalism, and Service.

We can offer a meaningful career, competitive salary and benefits and an abundance of learning and promotional opportunities to the right men and women who wish to proudly serve the Loudoun County community. Additional information about the Department can be found at www.loudoun.gov/fire

JOB DESCRIPTION

The Department of Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management is currently seeking qualified applicants to establish an eligibility pool for the position of Firefighter/EMT. Selected candidates are expected to provide skilled emergency and non-emergency related services, including, but not limited to: fire suppression, basic and advanced pre-hospital emergency medical care, hazardous materials incident response, technical rescue operations, life safety and public education program delivery, and other duties, as assigned.

We are especially seeking Advanced Life Support (ALS) Providers. ALS certified providers may become eligible for a stipend once locally authorized. All candidates will be required to successfully complete a Fire-Rescue Recruit School before being assigned to a County fire and rescue station.

Loudoun County, VA Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Management is a State Approving Agency for Veterans Education and Training.

JOB REQUIREMENTS

Candidates must be at least age 18 or older on the day of ad closure and possess a High School Diploma or GED. A valid driver’s license is required at the time of hire. As part of the selection process, applicants may be disqualified for use of drugs, certain driving violations, or other factors based on selection criteria.

Successful candidates must be tobacco-free and nicotine-free, both on and off duty, at the time of appointment and remain tobacco and nicotine free for the duration of their employment with Loudoun County Fire & Rescue. If you need additional information, contact Lt. Collins-Bliss at (703)737-8219.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS

Preferences will be given to those candidates possessing one or more of the following: VA EMT-I, VA EMT-P, or National Registry EMT-Intermediate/Paramedic, Loudoun County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Experience and/or Military Experience.

To be considered, applicants must submit the following: 1.) a Loudoun County Employment Application via the County's electronic application system; and 2.) the included APPLICANT SCREENING QUESTIONNAIRE - click here to retrieve. The Applicant Screening Questionnaire must be printed, completed, and hard copy submitted via US Mail or hand-delivery to the included address.

POST CONDITIONAL OFFER CONTINGENCIES

The select process may take up to nine (9) months and includes the successful completion of: a Comprehensive Written Examination, Physical Ability Test, Polygraph Examination, comprehensive background check, to include NCIC/VCIN criminal history check, fingerprinting, a driving record check, NFPA 1582 Medical Examination/Substance Abuse and Nicotine Screening, and an in-person interview to be placed in the eligibility pool. The number of candidates selected to move through the process will be based on the number of available vacancies.
    Last edited by jeremymader; 01-03-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Forum Member

Awesome! Thanks!
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

insert witty title here

Closes Monday

Forum Member

Is anyone else on here going through the process? I took my polygraph a few weeks ago.
    northstar1 likes this.

Forum Member

In the same boat. @njlegion

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by northstar1 View Post
    In the same boat. @njlegion
    I'm pretty sure that they're still doing background checks. Also I remember hearing that if you get disqualified for some reason you'll get a "thanks but no thanks" letter.

I'll just keep checking the mailbox and hope for a call.

Forum Member

I applied too and took the test, physical, and polygraph. I haven't heard anything since then

Forum Member

just wondering if anyone heard anything yet about interviews and how many they plan on interviewing or how many they are looking to hire?

Forum Member

Did any of you guys ever hear anything?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by b_stevens View Post
    just wondering if anyone heard anything yet about interviews and how many they plan on interviewing or how many they are looking to hire?
    From looking through the county's new budget available on their website, I count about 25 full time equivalents being created for Fire and Rescue by either new positions or promotions, take that as you will. If that means 25 new entry level spots or not I don't know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrow148 View Post
    Did any of you guys ever hear anything?
    Turn on private messages on your profile

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by njlegion View Post
    Turn on private messages on your profile
    Alright, just turned on my private messaging

insert witty title here

If anyone is looking for a room to rent in Loudoun, I'll have one available starting in June in Sterling. PM for details.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymader View Post
    If anyone is looking for a room to rent in Loudoun, I'll have one available starting in June in Sterling. PM for details.
    When do you expect they'll start making their final selections?

insert witty title here

When do you expect they'll start making their final selections?
    Not sure. You done with the whole process? I haven't run into the HR Lt. In a while so I don't know the time frame. I do know that it sounds like there will be back to back classes. One of the volunteer stations just went to 24 hour coverage and they are going to start building a new station this year on top of the 25+ holes we have. Great time to be getting hired. The dept is growing quick.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymader View Post
    Not sure. You done with the whole process? I haven't run into the HR Lt. In a while so I don't know the time frame. I do know that it sounds like there will be back to back classes. One of the volunteer stations just went to 24 hour coverage and they are going to start building a new station this year on top of the 25+ holes we have. Great time to be getting hired. The dept is growing quick.
    That's great news. I'm just waiting on results from the medical

Forum Member

That's great news. I'm just waiting on results from the medical
    Have you already taken your medical? I have my date but it's at the end of this month.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiss0830 View Post
    Have you already taken your medical? I have my date but it's at the end of this month.
    When was your interview?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rleb23 View Post
    When was your interview?
    April 23rd

Forum Member

April 23rd
    turn on your PM

Forum Member

It should be on

Forum Member

It should be on
    Its not, I interviewed and have not heard back yet. When did you find out?

Forum Member

Hey guys, I'm new to this site but see there's a lot of helpful info going around. I just had my interview this passed Friday 5/9 any ideas how long it takes for them to contact us? Or what the next steps are? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mangj178 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to this site but see there's a lot of helpful info going around. I just had my interview this passed Friday 5/9 any ideas how long it takes for them to contact us? Or what the next steps are? Thanks
    Lt. Collins said to expect to wait 4-5 weeks after the interview to hear about a medical exam, which is the next step.

Forum Member

Thanks, I don't know if they're running ahead of schedule or not but I got an email this morning with my medical date. Which is only 4 days after my interview. Any word on what comes after the medical, or when the academy is supposed to start?

Thread Information