Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Prankin da Probie

Forum Member

Default Prankin da Probie

I'm sure this isn't anything new here but I would love to hear some stories about how you guys prank your probies in hopes of finding some new pranks. I will start this off by giving you a few of my favorites. Have fun with them!

1. K-12 jumpstart - I like to get less mechanically inclined newbies with this one. You have to ease into this carefully but if they fall for it its priceless. You tell them "What do you do if your K-12 won't start but you know there is plenty of fuel?". Then you explain that you can pop the clutch by holding the K-12 up and putting the blade on the ground and run really fast to get the blade spinning then it will fire up. Oh my god I had a probie try 10 minutes before our laughter gave it away.

2. Stack tip challenge - Take the stacked tips off your master stream then SHOW them how its done by sticking the stack in your pants largest diameter up. Tilt your head back with quarter on your forehead and arms outward. Explain that you close your eyes and tilt your head forward to drop quarter into the stack. Practice so you prove it can be done. When they try take that ice cold glass of water out of hiding and pour it down the stack down into their pants. LOL good stuff.

3. We are currently hazing a 20 year old guy. LOL he can only drink from his Batman sippy cup for an entire year. LOL its hilarious. NO EXCEPTIONS. Funny to see a grown man drinking from a cup my baby boy drinks from.

4. We sometimes take the lift bags off the reserve truck and put them under the probies bed while they are out on a call and after they have made their bed (so its easily concealed). Once the go to bed its just a quick stealthy connect to the system. LOL UP ON BLUE LOL. One side goes up, and probie goes THUNK lol.

I could go on and on but I really want to hear yours. Please share! Thanks.
    RFDACM02 and RangerJake72 like this.

Forum Member

Those are GREAT!! More please!

Forum Member

My dad told me how he pranked a probie years ago that about made me fall over. He told this new kid that he had to fill up the water fountain in the bay. He told him to get the 5 gallon bucket and fill it up with the tap and dump it in the drain to fill it up. He said after 30 minutes the probie asked how would he know when its full. LOL

5. I got this one guy by taking a 1000 ML saline bag and a bunch of extensions and hooking them all together. I took and hung the bag in the drop ceiling. I ran the line to the next bunk over and poked a super small hole in tile directly above the victims pillow and put the end of the line in the hole. HAHA. once they go to be you just crack your line so that it drips like once every two minutes. LOL So funny to watch.

Forum Member

Be careful.
    ruffneck likes this.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

MembersZone Subscriber

The days of hazing and pranking are pretty much over in my area, unless you want to laugh yourself into the unemployment line. I think the airbag prank is pretty funny though. Funny until the guy falls and fractures an arm and can't go on the fire that's being toned out. Hate to have to explain that to the boss LOL. We can still bust each others chops though, so thick skin is a requirement.

Forum Member

we've had to retire the ole' bromstick because of those pencil pushers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruffneck View Post
    The days of hazing and pranking are pretty much over in my area, unless you want to laugh yourself into the unemployment line. I think the airbag prank is pretty funny though. Funny until the guy falls and fractures an arm and can't go on the fire that's being toned out. Hate to have to explain that to the boss LOL. We can still bust each others chops though, so thick skin is a requirement.
    Just had a discussion at the table last night about the old days and the pranks. Overwhelming feeling was the camaraderie it created is something that can not be replaced, but the idea that some agencies went too far is not lost on most of the "old timers". Fine line to walk there though, careful brothers, don't be that agency on the news.

Forum Member

Proby's bed: replace the bolts that secure the head/footboard to the rails with pencils. Proby climbs into bed, bed collapses.

When Proby is in the shower, steal towel and clothes. Lock his bunkroom door (if you have individual bunkrooms....) Proby has to strut through station in his bday suit to get master key from Captain or Lt.

Black shoe polish around the seal of his facepiece.
    firedan525 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

At my Department we are a VERY close knit family. You want to become one of us, you go through what we had to. The fire service is RICH in tradition. I myself am a fifth generation firefighter and HATE to see what the fire service is becoming. My crew along with my Department has decided to keep tradition ALIVE. We do not hire people based on what demographic we need to fill to be a diverse department. We hire the person who can DO THE JOB. I think we have escaped most of the trouble other departments face because its easier to hire a person that can do the job, than fire someone who can't. Hazing is just what CATruckie81 stated, Its a way to make them feel apart of something bigger than themselves. Yes we have a laugh at their expense but we always let them know that we have been there. Tradition BONDS US, we can't lose that. Now lets hear so more pranks!
    Last edited by firedan525; 01-04-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw a video posted on Facebook the other day. The guys were sitting around the table and a snake was thrown onto one of them. It was pretty funny watching him leap from the chair and run. Then he realized it was real, that's when it got even funnier.
    I was glad it wasn't from my fire district, or there would be investigations going on.
    I has a Lt. that would always say "Know your audience" when we'd joke around or say inappropriate things to one another.
    It's fun hearing about these pranks, I want to see video or picture of them. Just, don't post them on Facebook or anywhere else for that matter. I thought it was common sense not to post anything you wouldn't want your mother or chief to see online. Looks like I was wrong on that one. Feel free to send your pranking videos directly to me though. I enjoy watching the probies' bed collapse with him on it as much as the next guy, hell, maybe even more!
    Stay safe!
    RangerJake72 likes this.

Forum Member

Oh well. I guess every one is having a good time.
    Not my kind of thing but to each his own.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

MembersZone Subscriber

The problem arises when everyone is having a good time at the victims' expense. Be cautious in this day and age, cameras are everywhere. Just because there laughing with you doesn't mean they find it funny.
    Like it or not, "hazing" and beer in the firehouse in 2014 opens up a huge can of liability worms. Team building does happen without pranking, it's just not as funny.

Fifth generation Firedan525? I'm sure you could right a book full of pranks! LOL
    On April 1, anything goes! Just keep in mind, the proby you have today, may end up being your boss tomorrow!
    Stay Safe!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Interesting thread. I don't see what good hazing a guy for a year with a sippy cup does, but to each his own.

We've got a ton of brotherhood and pride without the hazing in our department, but if your departments members and administration are good with it, rock on...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't dehydrate our probie, Give him a second sippy cup!
    Everything is fun and games until something goes wrong.
    I've never experienced the prank/haze thing, but I've talked to guys that have left departments that did. One guy told me "They bust your bals for 365 days and the next day you're their best friend" LOL
    Now I have to look up "pranking the probie" on u-tube and it's all this posts' fault!
    Like BoxAlarm says, Rock ON!
    Like I say "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll"

Forum Member

All it takes is for one prank to go wrong and the newb gets hurt.

Then your balls are on the carpet explaining why the department has to pay out a multi million $$$$$$ lawsuit. Kiss your job and your career goodbye

But it was just a prank

MembersZone Subscriber

I want that $$$ in my pocket LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

Then we grew up.

Forum Member

The kind of pranking that goes on now doesn't have a huge risk for bodily injury guys. Its just to see how deal with it and get a laugh. Plus its not we prank each other everyday. You need to be stealthy and unpredictable.

6. I like to tape the handle of the sink sprayer. Someone goes to the sink and turns on the water and immediately gets hit! Funny stuff.

Every probie thats gotten off probation is better for it. After a year we also take the probies awful yellow Bullard turtle shell and give them their black tradition helmet.
    Last edited by firedan525; 01-05-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruffneck View Post
    Fifth generation Firedan525?
    Yes sir! My great-great grandfather (pictured far left hand on wheel), great-grandfather, grandfather and my Dad all firemen! I have a son who reminds me a lot like how I was with my Dad. He love anthing fire related and wears his play firefighter helmet around where ever he goes! There might be a sixth generation in the making!

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  46.8 KB

I think this this just gave me an idea for my next thread.
    Last edited by firedan525; 01-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Then we grew up.
    I'm pushing 50 and worked in a house that you either had to stay on your toes, or suffer the wrath. It was like a war zone, nobody was exempt. Not a day went by that I didn't have to change out of wet clothes, or shower an extra time or two. I've been hit by flour bombs reaching for my towel that was dusted in flour. I gave as good as I got. I would draw back into that house in an instant but budget cuts and rig reassignments are preventing that right now. I don't think it's a matter of growing up or out of it so much as it's a crew that is tightly bonded. Plus, most volunteer departments don't understand because they're not living at the stations 1/3 of each month.

Try putting a teaspoon of AFFF in the dishwasher right before you get relieved. You don't want to be around when they run that thing that night.
    firedan525 likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Well said snowball. I love the AAAF idea, good stuff!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Proby's bed: replace the bolts that secure the head/footboard to the rails with pencils. Proby climbs into bed, bed collapses.

When Proby is in the shower, steal towel and clothes. Lock his bunkroom door (if you have individual bunkrooms....) Proby has to strut through station in his bday suit to get master key from Captain or Lt.

Black shoe polish around the seal of his facepiece.
    One of the best I have ever been involved in .....

Set up a box fan and 4 lbs of flour in front of the fan while the new guy was in the shower. As soon as he stepped out we started the fan.

Priceless.

One hall of a mess but it was worth it.
    firedan525 likes this.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

When we had medic units in the house we would coat the underside of the seatbelts in flour, they would get a crossing guard mark on their uniforms.
    firedan525 likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Send the probie around the fire house, asking the whereabouts of the lightbar wrench. Have everyone send the probie to the next guy. The probie could spend alot of time (and going in circles), looking for the non-existent wrench.

Tell the probie, they are to hang their clothes on the officers coat rack.
    firedan525 likes this.

Forum Member

We got this one probie at the fuel barn. While filling up the engine we told him to get the canuder valve we ordered from maintenance. LOL he walked up to the head mechanic and asked for a canuder valve. OH MY GOD that was priceless to see him do the walk of shame back to us while the mechanics were laughing.

Thread Information