Forum Member

Default Gwinnett County, GA

I applied to Gwinnett at the beginning of December and am now slated to go in for an interview next week. I'm looking for anyone who might have a little insight into the Gwinnett interview process or just the department in general. I'm not new to the fire service, I started out as a junior firefighter years ago in a small volunteer department in south GA. I'm just lookin for some insight from anyone who can help! Thanks!

Forum Member

The process is laid out very nicely on their website. It is divided into Phase I and Phase II. I don't know much about how quickly they are looking to hire or how many. I too am interviewing next week.

Forum Member

I applied 12/13 but no word

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    The process is laid out very nicely on their website. It is divided into Phase I and Phase II. I don't know much about how quickly they are looking to hire or how many. I too am interviewing next week.
    Congratulations on getting an interview and good luck to you. Mine is early Tuesday afternoon, so if I go before you I'll try to give you a heads up on what to expect

Forum Member

They usually do a panel interview with a group of FFs asking you questions from a list, they write down all if your responses and forward it to HR afterwards.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EC512 View Post
    They usually do a panel interview with a group of FFs asking you questions from a list, they write down all if your responses and forward it to HR afterwards.
    Any ideas on the type of questions? Just anything that you can give me would help

MembersZone Subscriber

It's a pretty straight forward and laid back interview. You are in a room of 5 people, they can be firefighters, secretaries, or other county workers. They ask about 5 questions each. Just make sure you have any paperwork they may have asked for with you.

Forum Member

I thought it was pretty straight forward as well. Pretty casual and informal compared to some.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerpyro318 View Post
    It's a pretty straight forward and laid back interview. You are in a room of 5 people, they can be firefighters, secretaries, or other county workers. They ask about 5 questions each. Just make sure you have any paperwork they may have asked for with you.
    I thought it was pretty straight forward as well. Pretty casual and informal compared to some.
    I thought the interview went very smoothly. Had three interviewers sitting around a table and they took turns asking 10 or 12 questions each. Got stumped a few times when they asked for me to give specific examples of times where certain things happened, like disagreeing with your supervisor. But I'm glad I did a little research on the department for the first question. Y'all let me know when you hear back from them, and good luck to you!

Forum Member

Same to you brother! Did you apply at Hall County

Forum Member

Same to you brother! Did you apply at Hall County
    No I didn't apply with Hall County, didn't know they were hiring. I'll look into it though. I received an email this morning letting me know I had passed the interview and had been put on the applicant register. Y'all keep and eye out, you should be getting one soon as well.

Forum Member

Good job! I too got an email saying i passed. I've heard a possible spring class but also informed that depends on budget. I was informed by HR that the reason this job was posted so long and was then reposted was to build a qualified applicant pool. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Forum Member

Good job! I too got an email saying i passed. I've heard a possible spring class but also informed that depends on budget. I was informed by HR that the reason this job was posted so long and was then reposted was to build a qualified applicant pool. I will let you know if I hear anything.
    Great job to you as well! Let me know if you hear anything else and I'll be sure to do the same!

Forum Member

Do you know any idea of the number of people who applied or the size of the potential class or anything?

Forum Member

I don't know the number of applicants. If you recall, this posting was up for a long time. It was also reposted after they took it down. HR stated ( I did not ask) that they wanted to build a pool of qualified applicants and that's why it was posted so long. The interview panel fielded questions after the interview so I asked 'how many' and 'when.' To this they responded it depends on budget. He did say they were aiming at a spring class but did not comment on preliminary numbers. I believe last years budget was adopted in early January so I'm not sure where they stand for 2014. I'm from out of state so I don't hear the rumors, but I'll certainly advise if I hear anything. Are you in te ATL area?

Forum Member

I don't know the number of applicants. If you recall, this posting was up for a long time. It was also reposted after they took it down. HR stated ( I did not ask) that they wanted to build a pool of qualified applicants and that's why it was posted so long. The interview panel fielded questions after the interview so I asked 'how many' and 'when.' To this they responded it depends on budget. He did say they were aiming at a spring class but did not comment on preliminary numbers. I believe last years budget was adopted in early January so I'm not sure where they stand for 2014. I'm from out of state so I don't hear the rumors, but I'll certainly advise if I hear anything. Are you in te ATL area?
    I am in state but not the ATL area. I'm from down around Savannah, bout 4 hours away from ATL. I don't hear anything from up around that area, but like you said, I'll be happy to share anything I do find out.

Not sure if you'd be interested, but Savannah Fire and Emergency Services is gonna be hiring quite a few people soon because they are going to all 4 man trucks and building around 4 or 5 more stations in the next few years. I know a batt chief out there and I could pass along some information to you if you're interested. Just let me know.

Forum Member

I think I read Gwinnett is putting two more ambulances in service this year. That just means more people. Thats about it on the news front as to what I know. Thank you for the info you passed along about Savannah. If you could pass along the information you have, I'd appreciate it. Beautiful city and area. Feel free to private message me or post on here.

Forum Member

I think I read Gwinnett is putting two more ambulances in service this year. That just means more people. Thats about it on the news front as to what I know. Thank you for the info you passed along about Savannah. If you could pass along the information you have, I'd appreciate it. Beautiful city and area. Feel free to private message me or post on here.
    Hey man, just wanted to let you know. I got the call around 4:30 today with the conditional job offer. I have to call the fire headquarters tomorrow to setup the physical test and such. Hope you got one too!

Forum Member

Congratulations! I know getting the call my first go around was an amazing feeling and something I won't forget. On my end it has been a rough week. Not hearing back from Hall and not making the cut at Gwinnett is extremely disapointing. Gwinnett was a fair process and that is all I can ask for. Best of luck the rest of they way!

Forum Member

Congratulations! I know getting the call my first go around was an amazing feeling and something I won't forget. On my end it has been a rough week. Not hearing back from Hall and not making the cut at Gwinnett is extremely disapointing. Gwinnett was a fair process and that is all I can ask for. Best of luck the rest of they way!
    Very sorry to hear you didn't get the call from Gwinnett or Hall. I definitely was not expecting to get one, especially in the middle of my college semester, so I have a few hard decisions ahead of me. I haven't forgotten about getting you that info on Savannah Fire and I'll PM you when I talk to my Batt Chief friend later this week. I know they are on a continuous hire right now for firefighters, but they are only accepting applications on the first 5 days of every month. The link is: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sav...FwddxPacket%3E. Ill PM you later this week when I find out more

Thread Information