Forum Member

Default Washington D.C. single role paramedic

I have applied for a single role paramedic position. Has anyone else applied and know what the process is from here? The job announcement has a wide pay range, do they pay for experience? I would love to hear any information about the dept. that can be provided, I know they are short on paramedics so you will be busy but how is it to work for DCFD?

Forum Member

I would apply to but they say you need 1 year of experience which I don't. I would assume they are very busy though.

Forum Member

Myself and three other paramedics applied for single role around july of last year. None of us heard anything back all of us had at least a year of exp. Every time one of us called HR it was like they lost our applications, gave us the run around and never returned calls.

Being in VA I keep up with the news surrounding the DC fire department and none of it is good. Unfortunately until the current administration is out it will not be a good place to work.
    Last edited by Snarff; 01-08-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Forum Member

Thats interesting information. I have been a paramedic for 10 years and have read some of the stories about the staffing shortage and other issues. I hope they follow up with my application, I think I have plenty of good, quality experience so we will see what happens.

Thanks for the replies!

Forum Member

Hey folks,

Let me try and help you all out. Yes we are hiring Nationally Registered Paramedics. And yes it is based on experience. The current Public Announcement is strictly for experienced Paramedics. There is Paramedic which is experienced and Paramedic-Basic which in a newer Paramedic. Currently we have a class of Paramedics at the Training Academy.

@Snarff. You should reapply because the time frame that you are talking about was prior to the final approval that the department received. They needed an approval to hire single-role medics. So reapply and be aggressive with DCHR. We do need more Paramedics and they should open up for several more classes.

Single-role Paramedics are going to be given the option to cross over to the fire side according to our fire chief. The more medics we get the better our system will become. So I encourage everyone to apply. It really is a good job and a great department, despite what some people may tell you these days. Paramedics get lots of experience here and once the process for crossing over is finalized it will offer you the chance to become a dual-role firefighter/medic assigned to a Paramedic Engine Company.

Go to www.dchr.dc.gov then to Search Current Job Openings. Paramedic is still there as of right now. But be aggressive with HR and the departments recruiting officer, who can be reached at the main number. It is probably a good idea to contact him anyway and introduce yourself and he can make sure DCHR processes you quickly.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
    I would apply to but they say you need 1 year of experience which I don't. I would assume they are very busy though.
    This is not the case for Paramedic-Basic. You do not have to be super experienced to be hired. Call Recruitment at the main number listed on www.fems.dc.gov

Forum Member

Thank you for the information. I will start trying to make contact with HR and the recruiting officer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will980 View Post
    Thank you for the information. I will start trying to make contact with HR and the recruiting officer.
    To start the process you need to apply to our Public Announcement. Once you apply then call Recruiting.

Forum Member

I applied on De. 31 and have 10 years of urban 911 experience, so I am little surprised I haven't heard from them yet, considering there needs but I will call them and see what they have to say!

Thanks again.

Forum Member

I applied on De. 31 and have 10 years of urban 911 experience, so I am little surprised I haven't heard from them yet, considering there needs but I will call them and see what they have to say!

Thanks again.
    DCHR can get quite backed up as you can imagine. I believe they have resolved and defined the hiring needs. The needs are not as bad as you might think. It is more of a change in structure of EMS delivery. Call Recruitment ASAP and he will be more than happy to assist you. The Recruitment Lieutenant is a very nice guy.

Forum Member

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions. I will try to help you out as much as possible.

Forum Member

How long do you have to be a single roll paramedic before being able to cross over?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjkfirefighter19 View Post
    How long do you have to be a single roll paramedic before being able to cross over?
    That question rests with the Fire Chief. They are still in the process of figuring out how they want to supplement the ALS Transport Units with the Paramedic Engines. I believe their goal is to continue to hire Single-Role Medics and cross them over as they expand the PECs. The department is still very committed to the Dual-Role concept, but is hiring Single-Role to get medics on the street quicker. You will not see any regular firefighter hiring anytime soon, unless it is our Cadet Program. So as is stands the only way to be a firefighter here now is to start out as a Single-Role Paramedic.

Forum Member

Any idea if there will be a paramedic basic class anytime soon? I don't have any experience I just finished school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
    Any idea if there will be a paramedic basic class anytime soon? I don't have any experience I just finished school.
    Call Recruitment at our main line. www.fems.dc.gov and search for the main number then ask them to transfer you to Recruiting. They could very well hire you even if the announcement isn't out. They have been hiring a mix of people lately.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard back yet that applied? I put in an application the other day.

Forum Member

I applied on 12/31/13 for a paramedic position and I haven't heard anything back yet, I called them twice last week and was told she would look into it and call me back, but that didn't happen.

Forum Member

Nice that doesn't sound promising.

Forum Member

I applied on 12/31/13 for a paramedic position and I haven't heard anything back yet, I called them twice last week and was told she would look into it and call me back, but that didn't happen.
    DCHR is extremely disorganized. Call them everyday and ask what is the status of your application. Also call recruiting because he can talk to DCHR as well.

Forum Member

I wil keep calling them, the first time I called the main number and asked for recruiting and they transferred me to HR, I didn't realize that is who I was speaking with until I called the HR number the next time and received the same lady. Do you have a name of someone specific I could ask for next time in recruiting?

Thread Information