Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default can you help me develope a routine?

I'm trying to formulate a sound plan to achieve a couple goals. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I've got;
    Schedule
    work full time M-F 8-5
    Mon, Tue & Thu evenings 530-930 are EMT school (starting week after next). Currently just Tue night is out for VFD training nights.
    Wed evening is limited but I can find 30-60 minutes.
    Fri evening is open, as is most all day Sat & Sun.

Goals
    The biggest challenge is to run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes. Just started running again last night and my time was 17:30. My first mile was 11:00. I'm not out of shape, just not in shape. I've never been much of a runner. I was able to run about half of that time.

Next up is the dummy drag. I picked up a duffle from the AN store yesterday to put sand bags in for practice.

I've got a step machine & bench in my garage. Bench also has leg extension, preacher curl and pull down.

So, with recovery time factored in, how do I make the most of my schedule? I might be able to pull of running during my lunch hour, but I'd also figured on using that time for study.

Sounds like you really do have your hands full.... Just curious what is your nutrition/diet intake like? As for a regimen, one thing I can suggest is run if at all possible on a hard surface like asphalt, trail, etc. I found this routine that I am currently following. I know that for me, one problem I had was starting out way to hard/fast. This routine pretty much outlines everything you need to know as far as acing the CPAT.
    http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...e/cpatprep.pdf

Forum Member

Thanks ZEUS, I'll look over that link.

Diet is pretty good, no pop or overly processed stuff. Only grab fast food in a pinch and honestly I hate eating that crap. Never have been able to eat much of breakfast but I'm working on that. Try to at least eat a couple hard boiled eggs or apples & cheese at my desk in the morning.

I've been running every other night, which is only twice since I wrote the original post. Friday I ran 17:00 and last night was 16:15, so definitely seeing some improvement. Trying not to go too hard/fast (thanks for reminding me) as injury is the last thing I need right now.

Yeah fast food and soda are killer to a diet.... Since you lead a pretty busy schedule I would definitely invest in some tupperware and a good sized mini cooler. Most lunch boxes are too small to carry a full days worth of food. Keeping a cooler with everything in tupperware pretty much gives you access to a plethora of good food. Additionally, it bars you from having a big mac attack before your night classes. Try and cook food for 3-4 day intervals on your days off. Keeping everything portioned and stored makes sticking to a nutritionally sound diet a thousand times easier. Every week allow yourself like two cheat meals (not days) so that you don't go crazy eating chicken breast and veggies. Also look into those rotisserie chickens at the supermarket. They are great for a quick meal and if u take off the skin, they are decently good for you. Seriously, I would buy these all the time with some tortillas, lettuce, and tomatoes and make some serious chicken soft tacos that were better than anything I had seen on the Food Network.

As far as running definitely start off nice and easy. Trust me, the last thing you want is to sustain a chin splint and befriend icy hot and epsom salt baths. The key to building your cardiovascular system is consistency. It wont do you any good if you go hard one week but totally skip out the next. Try going on your non workout days for a good jog/run. Once you build up your leg muscles and some lung power you can increase your run times and distance.

Just noticed how I wrote chin instead of shin...but I'm sure the message still resonates

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Just noticed how I wrote chin instead of shin...but I'm sure the message still resonates
    There is an edit feature you can use.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information