Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rpbravest29fd

Thread: E-One Metro 100' Ladder Truck

Forum Member

Default E-One Metro 100' Ladder Truck

Hey folks,

I know its been awhile since E-One announced their Metro 100' Ladder. But honestly I haven't heard much more about it since then. I know the demo has been making its rounds at conventions around the country. But I haven't seen any departments take delivery of one of these units, or any orders. I figured with how insanely popular the old single rear axle 100' E-One ladders used to be, especially with larger municipalities and cities (Such as Boston) That these newer style rigs would be selling like hot cakes.

Anybody have any word on them? They still in development or are departments just turning the other cheek to em?
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

One come in soon in western Canada. Lot of market to come. Rosenbauer and pierce have similar product on devlopment

Forum Member

I recently demo'd one. Heres some observations:
    -it certainly is manueverable and easy to operate. wherever you can put most top mount pumpers you can put one of these.
    -i felt the tip was really wobbly and bouncy being a lighter duty aerial.
    -The waterway is limited to 600 gpm.
    -For those depts that like wicked ladder complements, this will be lacking some.
    -there are some limits to capacities depending on elevation and extention and if water is flowing or not that would remind some folks who've been around a while what you needed to remember when using 200 or 250lb ladders. it feels like one when climbing.
    -its not a replacement for a tiller
    -no place for a stokes or RIT basket or long tools other than 6 hooks.
    -the jack spread was good as is typical with e-one aerials

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    -For those depts that like wicked ladder complements, this will be lacking some.

Are they not allowing any other configuration of the body? As I recall Boston's all had lowside compartments with ladders mounted "on the flat" (one or both sides?)

I'd think many larger FD's that are looking for ladder companies with aerial access would not have an issue with a 600 gpm restriction (use Towers MS ops)? The tip load isn't lower than most many FD's had for many decades, but any backward movement might be seen as a concern. But on the other end: maneuverable, and easy to place are two pretty significant features. One would assume it's relatively "fast" to get up as opposed to many of the new aerials with a greater stabilization footprint?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Are they not allowing any other configuration of the body? As I recall Boston's all had lowside compartments with ladders mounted "on the flat" (one or both sides?)

I'd think many larger FD's that are looking for ladder companies with aerial access would not have an issue with a 600 gpm restriction (use Towers MS ops)? The tip load isn't lower than most many FD's had for many decades, but any backward movement might be seen as a concern. But on the other end: maneuverable, and easy to place are two pretty significant features. One would assume it's relatively "fast" to get up as opposed to many of the new aerials with a greater stabilization footprint?
    The guy said there will be other body configurations coming out, theres only one configuration now. As far as speed to set up im used to a tiller...and they are pretty quick to set up, quicker than what we demo'd. As far as the 600 gpm and using towers....we only have tillers so the 1000+ gpm was good to have. Due to our environment, its common in alot of places to use lower elevation and a bit longer extention to reach roofs and getting under obstructions, and theres lower weight restrictions than what we're used to, and like i said when we tried it, it was pretty wobbly up there. More so than we're used to.

I agree about the tip loads of what depts used in the past...we had them too. We have a whole new generation working who are used to 500 lb+ ladders and going back would be a concern as you have indicated.

It certainly has its place however.

Forum Member

Flowing is 1000GPM at 80'
    Rescue Style configuration is available (the truck for BC have it with full rool-up doors)
    load tip is 250LBs + 75lbs …quipments at 2.5 to 1

Forum Member

the label i read on the truck says its 600gpm.

Forum Member

Default Do Tell??

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddnb View Post
    One come in soon in western Canada. Lot of market to come. Rosenbauer and pierce have similar product on devlopment
    Well you seem to be in the know care to elaborate more? Rosenbauer already has their Raptor and haven't seen anything from Pierce and they sure didn't do anything with Bronto in 3 years... Maybe they will use the same Engineer they hired for the design of their aluminum ladders whom also did E One's ...

Forum Member

Pierce offer is medium duty ladder on a single axle, but a think no truck was built at this Time. I see a spec but the picture on the cover is a photoshoped 75' (pierce very perform with Photoshop)
    Rosenbauer is able to built a 100' on single axle but the truck dont meet height restriction. (and i think the weight!!!)
    Local builder meet with a spartan low profile chassis and RK ladder.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it. Seems that maybe these rigs just haven't caught on yet, it'll be interesting to see what happens with them in the future. For now we're happy with our 94' E-One 110'.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

This might be the first on delivered.

http://www.1strespondernews.com/webp...d-273f481f023f
    HBofCJ likes this.

Forum Member

that delivery is the demo unit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    I recently demo'd one. Heres some observations:
    -it certainly is manueverable and easy to operate. wherever you can put most top mount pumpers you can put one of these.
    -i felt the tip was really wobbly and bouncy being a lighter duty aerial.
    -The waterway is limited to 600 gpm.
    -there are some limits to capacities depending on elevation and extention and if water is flowing or not that would remind some folks who've been around a while what you needed to remember when using 200 or 250lb ladders. it feels like one when climbing.
    -its not a replacement for a tiller
    -the jack spread was good as is typical with e-one aerials
    i.e. light duty ladder.

Of course, they would never put that on literature or ads. Neither would I for that matter so I can't really fault them for that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rosenbauer has a rear mount 100' just looking to see when it is going to be shown.

Thread Information