Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Commuting to a job, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Have you considered flying?

We have had a few guys that do.
    Themselves I mean. You can get a small, private prop plane for about the same as a auto.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

So I can definitely identify with that kind of commute. Worked as an engineer for 5 years making a 2.5 hr commute one way out here in CA. It's definitely tough and there are pros and cons, but it comes down to how bad you want the job. There is something to be said for making that kind of a sacrifice, but there are a lot of things to think about. The effect on your days off and family, first and foremost. I am married and have a 2 year old and was making my drive during my wifes' pregnancy and the first year and a half of my sons life. Kinda scary to think that there was a good chance that I could have missed my son being born, or if there had been any emergencies during the pregnancy i was 3 hours away during peak driving times.

As far as the shift schedule, talk to some of the guys that work at the department already. Ask them if anyone currently working there is making a similar commute and how they handle it. I'm sure they will be happy to fill you in, it may also help you out to see that you are looking at it as to how the decision will effect your personal life. It is a big decision after all.

Forum Member

When I first got hired on 12 years or so ago I was living in the city I work for. (we had to in order to be hired due to the pesky residence requirement). While the five minute commute to the station was wonderful, the occasional drive-by up the street or ever present drunkard passed out on my building stairs made my young bride at the time a little uneasy about our living conditions seeing that we were both born and bred in a small jersey shore resort town of about 1200 people. After a little over two years of living the "hood life" I finally was at my length of service requirement to move out of city. The first house we bought was about 98 miles to the south in the New Jersey State Pine Barrens, while I loved the area, the 2.5 hour minimum commute to North Jersey was killing me, a year and half later we split the difference sold the house and settled about 45 miles south of my work in the town we both grew up in. But hey, it is Jersey so that 45 miles still takes a good hour and a half to hour and 45. Stay safe!

Thread Information