Forum Member

Default How long before you went to firefighter 1

I have been volunteering at a local fire department for a little over a year now but they have still not sent me to firefighter 1 yet. From what I gather the classes are usually offered in January and June but for one reason or another it never works out and they say next time, which is discouraging because I want to get this out of my way then get my emt certification after. How long did it take you guys before they sent you to Firefighter 1 and also how long does an emt course take to complete? Are they only offered at certain times like ff1 or should I be looking at that in the meantime waiting for ff1? Thanks ahead of time for the imput.

Forum Member

What state are you in

What is the reason for them not sending you

Is anyone else going

Who pays for it and can you pay for it yourself if you want to go

Forum Member

I am in New Jersey. The first time they said that the class was filled, the second time I was signed up but they never gave me a reason as to why I wasn't going they just said in June. There was another person who joined around the same time as me who went to the last class but had to call the chief and find out the schedules for ff1 on his own last minute but I couldn't go to that one because of conflicting work schedules and the one that I could attend already started. I was under the assumption that I was signed up for the class that just started but last minute they said I wasn't going. The company pays for it since I am volunteering there, haven't thought about paying for it myself. Any idea on prices?

MembersZone Subscriber

They usually run two classes a year in our county (in NY). You want to be on the phone with the "office" almost as soon as they are announced, as they fill up faster than a rock concert.

This can make it tough to get folks in, as oftimes you need to ensure they'll be available, and by the time you get in touch with them, it's too late to get in.

Even a third class per year fills up immediately.

I was already 20+ years in by the time they got around to actually giving "Firefighter I" in this state, but I've had most of the components in the form of other classes offered over time.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFuentes View Post
    I am in New Jersey. The first time they said that the class was filled, the second time I was signed up but they never gave me a reason as to why I wasn't going they just said in June. There was another person who joined around the same time as me who went to the last class but had to call the chief and find out the schedules for ff1 on his own last minute but I couldn't go to that one because of conflicting work schedules and the one that I could attend already started. I was under the assumption that I was signed up for the class that just started but last minute they said I wasn't going. The company pays for it since I am volunteering there, haven't thought about paying for it myself. Any idea on prices?

Call the school on your own

You do not have to Id yourself or dept you are working for to find the price and dates

May have a web site with the info

Forum Member

thanks guys. i will definitely work on my own more to get into the next class. does anyone know what information i need to sign up for a class on my own, or is that something a captain has to do that i should stay on top of him with?

Forum Member

Typically the dept. should get you in as soon as possible but if you have conflicting schedule sometimes things just don't work out. The first 2 FF1 classes that came out in my area i could not do because of conflicting schedule so it took me a few months, close to a year to get it. During the time i did not take the class i got my own training in my firehouse, nothing crazy just some basics on hitting a hydrant etc. In my area, there is a website that posts the classes as they come out and i check it a couple times a week to ensure i do not miss the class i want to take because as tree68 said, they close quickly. See if you can get your hands on a website or possibly a phone number that you can find out about the classes. When the ones that you want come out, go straight to your officer that is in charge of the training classes and tell him you want in. That's what i did. Goodluck

Forum Member

does the school have a web site???

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in NY, if it's a state-run course (at least one requiring SCBA), you'll need the written OK of your chief to participate. Can't speak for NJ, but you may have a similar requirement.

Our local community college offers a fire science curriculum that includes FF1 (and possibly FF2, I haven't checked), but that's at normal community college prices.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Starting another one next week if you can make it.

Forum Member

i started 2 months after joining

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    I was already 20+ years in by the time they got around to actually giving "Firefighter I" in this state, but I've had most of the components in the form of other classes offered over time.
    When I joined the volunteer fire service, it was 1975 and there was no FF 1 classes in those days; in fact we didn't have a county fire training center at the time. I took the Essentials of Fire Fighting Class, which I recall was a 39 hour course taught at our fire headquarters by a state instructor. LIke you I took the various components offered over the years.

Of course its all changed now and the county has a completely equipted fire training center along with paid fire dispatchers! The volunteer fire dispatchers went out years ago.

I think anyone who goes out and gets training for FD related courses should have the dept pay for it; if for nothing else, so that you are covered by Dept insurance.
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

Thread Information