Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By firedan525
  • 1 Post By DeputyChiefGonzo

Thread: Firefighting helmets

Forum Member

Default Firefighting helmets

Anybody using the new helmets? Like the Bullard Magma. http://www.bullard.com/V3/products/f...uctural/Magma/ . I know they are used in Europe, but what about in the states.

I'm 6'9" and walking through a house doing overhaul, etc... with a traditional helmet on I often bang into things. I can't even walk through a normal door opening without ducking.

And yes, I do crawl when doing interior attack. I'm FFI, FFII, Fire Instructor I and so on.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

A quick look at the site shows that they do not report meeting NFPA. The only European style helmet I know of that does is the Rosenbauer Heros XT. I have never personally used one, but there are some out and being used. I just don't know who has them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter9202 View Post
    I'm 6'9" and walking through a house doing overhaul, etc... with a traditional helmet on I often bang into things. I can't even walk through a normal door opening without ducking.
    A standard residential door opening is 6' 8", so you have to duck without any kind of helmet.

Just felt like bringing up a ridiculous helmet?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

They do look low profile.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

If you want one, and your FD will let you use it, then buy it. Personally I wouldn't because to me it looks goofy as hell, but I won't be wearing it you will.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Looks like an aviators helmet. Brother get yourself a Leather and quit wondering bout any other helmet. Thats of course my opinion, hell my dad wore a dang Bullard turtle shell and swore by it. That just go to show parents can be wrong too lol.
    Ctuttle3d likes this.

Forum Member

His first post and he wanting to know about helmets. Plus one that isn't approved.
    I'm going to the bunker and slip some Markers, as the flack flies in.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Sorry that I touched a nerve. We now wear Bullard UST traditional helmets and many of the guys complain about the bulk and weight. I didn't realize that the Bullard that I linked wasn't NFPA. I did look at the Rosenbauer and it looks like a nice helmet.

We, as a department, are just looking for other options and aren't stuck in the 19th century.

How many on here have ever gotten their helmet, because of the big leather shield and size caught when doing an entanglement drill???

I guess some of the smart replies are the same ones that the first guys to go away from long coats and hip boots got back in the day.

Now I see why this forum isn't used a lot..... People are afraid to ask questions because the "regulars" will act like your stupid.

Forum Member

The last sentence of your tirade... Lol. Just... Lol. Reread it. You'll see the irony.

And no, I've never gotten my helmet hung up on anything in a real fire with wires dangling, much less in a drill. Let me know how that fancy space helmet works out when it channels hot water and embers down your back.

I've also never worn 3/4 boots, but I'd love to go back to them.

Forum Member

Hang in there guy. You still have that new member smell, therefore your skin density must be tested. Join in more discussions. I'm betting that you have more to offer than just a helmet thread.
    A few words of advice.
    1. Use the search function. There are literally thousands of threads about helmets, types of helmets, snagging a helmet, dropping a helmet, painting a helmet, polishing a helmet ( heehee).
    2. Never complain about someone's opinion right after you've asked for it. We are firefighters so you're going to get the whole enchilada, like it or not. Pick the replies you like, round file the ones you don't.
    3. Don't take yourself too serious. It'll cut a lot of stress out of your life, plus...this is the interwebs, a facsimile of the kitchen table, not the real deal.

Okay, here's the weenie.
    The shell and impact cap are most likely the same thickness on whatever NFPA approved lid you buy, so it's probably a wash there. As for the entanglement issue, sure a traditional will get snagged in an entanglement drill, so will your mask, bottle, and whatever crap you have hanging out of your pockets. That's the reason for the drill, to entrap you so you can figure out how to escape. If a guy has door chocks, nails, goggles, and a light rigged to his helmet, that stuff will snag, no matter the style.
    You're 6'9"? You present your own set of issues just because of your size, helmet notwithstanding. ( pun not intended). I can slip through an entanglement prop a whole lot easier than you. It's science.

If you want that particular type of helmet, knock yourself out. I hope it works for you. I can foresee problems with the face shield getting scratched up, and fogging issues. Not for me.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter9202 View Post
    Sorry that I touched a nerve. We now wear Bullard UST traditional helmets and many of the guys complain about the bulk and weight. I didn't realize that the Bullard that I linked wasn't NFPA. I did look at the Rosenbauer and it looks like a nice helmet.

My kid wears a Bullard UST and he loves it. Different strokes for different strokes. Like I said above, if your FD will let you buy and wear a Buck Roger's space helmet go ahead and do it. It is no skin off my A Z Z. I just wouldn't wear one unless mandated by my FD.

We, as a department, are just looking for other options and aren't stuck in the 19th century.

Ah, when cornered and not liking the opinions of others slam them for being stuck in the 19th century. The fact is sonny, both of the FDs I am on are very progressive and the fact that one issues traditional helmets, because that's what the firefighters wanted, and the other issues Cairns 660's and allows firefighters to buy traditionals if they want the speaks volumes. If you like to compare progressive ideas let me know I would love to take you on in that category.

How many on here have ever gotten their helmet, because of the big leather shield and size caught when doing an entanglement drill???

37 years wearing all sorts of helmets and never gotten stuck one time ever that I couldn't get out of the entanglement. Funny thing is, the worst I was ever caught was using a Cairns 660 with a flashlight held on by a bracket. The flashlight got wrapped up in wires and I had to back up and reach up and untangle myself.

I guess some of the smart replies are the same ones that the first guys to go away from long coats and hip boots got back in the day.

Hated hip boots, was the first on my FD to buy my own bunker pants and lead the charge to buy bunkers for everybody. The long coat was miserabe too, I prefer one that is 35 inches or less.

Now I see why this forum isn't used a lot..... People are afraid to ask questions because the "regulars" will act like your stupid.

Now I see why you are butt hurt. You have a thin skin, and should probably just go back down in your mom's basement, turn on the latest version of the xBox you bought with your paper route money and yell at your mom to bring you some chocolate chip cookies.
    I'll type this real slow for you so you maybe will comprehend it this time. If you like the helmet BUY IT, WEAR IT WITH PRIDE, but be prepared to take a ration of crap about it. It is that simple. maybe you will be a trend setter for your FD. Who knows, who cares? Either way it doesn't affect me.

By the way, if you think you got attacked in this topic this isn't anything compared to what some people get on here. banter, bashing, and giving each other grief is a part of the fire service. At my career FD we used to say if you aren't getting picked on your aren't liked. But maybe you are the exception to that!

Have a nice day and enjoy the helmet.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-28-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    The last sentence of your tirade... Lol. Just... Lol. Reread it. You'll see the irony.

Pretty funny wasn't it?

And no, I've never gotten my helmet hung up on anything in a real fire with wires dangling, much less in a drill. Let me know how that fancy space helmet works out when it channels hot water and embers down your back.

Most of them have what I call the Godzilla drape on the back, either made of some fire resistive material or rubber to run stufff away from your collar.

I've also never worn 3/4 boots, but I'd love to go back to them.

No you wouldn't. Count me as one of those that hated them, bought my own bunker pants before my FD did. Hot water, embers, the thigh part not staying up, and no protection for your nuts, yeah they were the greatest. I did like them for when we were working in deeper water, but not enough to give up my bunker pants to go back to them.
    Different strokes Brother. I'll keep my new gear with my traditional helmet!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I wear a Phenix TL2 leather and will from now on, but a department near by uses the Phenix 1500 http://phenixfirehelmets.com/products_1500.html

I have wore these and they can sit pretty low on your head and they are NFPA plus they are really light. So If you dont want a traditional I would suggest this helmet.
    Last edited by Snarff; 01-28-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Forum Member

Name:  tin-snips.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  10.9 KB

Solution to your entanglement issue. I got an extra pair if ya need em.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Different strokes Brother. I'll keep my new gear with my traditional helmet!
    Indeed! I'd like to do it once just to say I did it and go from there. A pair would have been wonderful two weeks ago when wading through knee deep water in a basement... Brr!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Indeed! I'd like to do it once just to say I did it and go from there. A pair would have been wonderful two weeks ago when wading through knee deep water in a basement... Brr!

Like I said, to me that is the only place they are better.

I like having the bunkers cover my nuts and my ***. I would hate to see either roasted.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Like I said, to me that is the only place they are better.

I like having the bunkers cover my nuts and my ***. I would hate to see either roasted.
    While the "Rules of 9's" for assessing burn injuries only count the" family jewels" for 1%, it is a very important 1%.
    Ctuttle3d likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    While the "Rules of 9's" for assessing burn injuries only count the" family jewels" for 1%, it is a very important 1%.
    Can I get an AMEN to that Brother!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information