Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EastKyFF

Thread: Parades: do they help or hurt the fire service

Forum Member

Talking Parades: do they help or hurt the fire service

I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic and i hope that this does not turn into a huge argument, but i want to know what you all think about parades. i personally think that parades are a good thing for a few reasons. one being to show off equipment to the tax payers and two being that they are good social functions to get to know some of the members of other departments and catch up with old friends , but there is one point against
    parades and that is that alcohol is served at the end of some parades and some members that cannot hold their alcohol and end up embarrass their departments. now that you know what i think please share your thoughts about parades

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

The use of alcohol at parades is more of a regional thing. There are several annual parades in our area where the judges will kick you out of the parade and ban you from attending the following year if any alcohol is found on the fire apparatus. I've been going to parades for two decades and have yet to see any problems arise from alcohol - but I have heard a lot of stories out of NY, NJ, and other areas from both parades and wetdowns.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

just to clarify in my neck of the woods alcohol is not on any apparatus but is served at the end of the parade which is where most incidents occur, although i do know of a department who allegedly marched drunk in a parade and still took away top honors so...

Since you can participate in a parade without using alcohol, this thread is pointless. You obviously have people with an alcohol problem who need to be removed from your department.
    Chenzo likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

they are not part of my department

Parades and musters are a welcome event in this area. In recent years there has been a movement to limit and/or eliminate alcohol entirely from the end of these events. This has received an overwhelming welcome response by the majority, as well as very vocal disapproval from a few- and these are usually the ones who cause problems at the events. When there is no alcohol at a parade, they usually dont show up, and quite honestly, no one misses them.

As for the events that still have alcohol, many departments (my own included) have enacted bylaws/SOP's that basically state that if you are on duty, in department uniform or riding on dept apparatus or otherwise are on Dept time, you may not consume alcohol. Solves many issues.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

firemanmatt1,

I'm unclear if you are referring to a fire apparatus pure parade or just your run of the mill (homecoming, Veterans Day, etc.) parade.

In Kearney we have parades for the college homecoming and Veteran's Day. We have apparatus in each. After a welcome home parade for one of our Guard units our department purchased a 20'x30' flag which we suspend from our aerials. This is also hung during the parades. One of our past members stated "The flag goes up, the camera's come out". In this respect I think that the parade helps the departments image. Mind you, there is no alcohol at all, fire department or otherwise.

Just my thoughts,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Anyone who needs alcohol to get through the day has a serious problem that doesn't need to be involved in the fire service.

End of discussion

Belmar St Patricks day parade today. Many firetrucks there. Every bar along the way was packed. Pretty sure the people in those bars didn't care if you came in with an Irish shirt on, a fire uniform, or anywhere between.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Belmar St Patricks day parade today. Many firetrucks there. Every bar along the way was packed. Pretty sure the people in those bars didn't care if you came in with an Irish shirt on, a fire uniform, or anywhere between.
    And as much as I disagree with the practice, I've long ago accepted that if you live in areas of PA, NY, and NJ, nobody cares if you mix alcohol and the fire service. Not sure why folks in that area just shrug at the idea, but as long as they don't try to bring that nonsense in my firehouse, so be it.

Related: Suit Filed by PA Firefighter Injured in OUI Tanker Roll Over
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Probably because the majority of us have realized....no response after drinking. At the parades, trucks and crews are out of service. Driver....no drink.

Yes, there are a few bad apples that are issues. There are bad apples with just about everything in life. We have had more issues with another "professional" paid agency and alcohol than any FD in the area by a long stretch.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information