Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By asner85

Thread: Iamresponding or Active911?

Forum Member

Default Iamresponding or Active911?

Just wondering which one is better, my department is looking at getting a software like this and I was just curious as to which was better.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know nothing of the other, but we've used Iamresponding for 6 or 8 years and have been very pleased with the service. So much so the county regional comm center just began to use it for all Fire and EMS agencies in represented. Since the beginning the price has not changed, but the services grow all the time. We went from a responder notification system to the host of features now including dispatch information pushed to apps and texts that is faster than the radio (still not allowed as a primary dispatch tool) and direct links from these messages to Google maps. The system allows members to mass text or email messages for department business (meetings, drills, scheduling, etc) and tracking expiration of certs and licensures.

Edit: just looked at Active 911's site and am somewhat interested in hearing from users as well. The number of features seems less than IAR, but the active mapping of regional incidents and the price are particularly interesting.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 01-24-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

Let's talk fire trucks!

We've also used IAR for over 5 years, and are fairly pleased with it. I actually recently put a question out to my Facebook friends about this very topic, and I got MANY responses back. Most folks replied that they're using Active911, I'm going to look into that myself soon and do some comparisons.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

We've used IAR for 3 years, and we as well are pleased with the system as a whole.

However, the issue we have is that our members don't embrace the full capacity of the system. The messaging for dispatch is really what most of them use it for. For some reason they do not call into the system to let people know they are coming to the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker1-24 View Post
    We've used IAR for 3 years, and we as well are pleased with the system as a whole.

However, the issue we have is that our members don't embrace the full capacity of the system. The messaging for dispatch is really what most of them use it for. For some reason they do not call into the system to let people know they are coming to the station.
    We have the same problem. At least one member feels he'd be delaying his response by taking the time to call - and he lives about a minute from the station, so he's got something of a point.

On the other hand, there is a default response for call ins, which is "to the station." I'll call in and just let it go. The station monitor always shows me responding to the station by the time I get there.

I also use CadPage, which allows for the programming of buttons when a text page is received. Especially at night I hit the button I labelled "FD Response" my cell phone dials in while I'm getting dressed. Works good.

IAR has an app for smart phones. On responses, I find the dial-in is better (as noted above), but if I'm out of town and haven't logged myself as such on IAR (possible through the App), it's easier to read the options and select one than to remember which number I want to use.

I'd love to see folks log in and put themselves "in the area" for days/times when they might not otherwise be available. Then even if they didn't call in, we'd have an idea they might well be on their way.

Overall we've been pleased with it. I should note that I have no experience with Active911, and haven't researched it.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry to veer this from the original question (though it appears we have few Active 911 users?). Are people successfully using the CAD interface with IAR so they get texts/App pushes/email for every incident? Furthermore, has anyone used the "parsing tool" to eliminate the number of incidents that come through? Our small FD has no need for 80% of the calls to go out to everyone, but would like those that require off duty/call personnel responses to get to all users. Our dispatch center s just starting to use the Spillman CAD interface with IAR so users are getting either all or nothing.

Forum Member

We have been using Active911 at my department for around 6 months. We are all quite pleased with it. The push buttons for response options are nice and from my phone I can see who else is coming.

Also, to answer RFD's question, from an active911 standpoint. We get the notifications for every run, but also have the parsing. For example, I have Active911 ignore calls for our first out medic unit as out on duty crews will always handle that. We had some issues with parsing at first, but those are due to our dispatch center doing some weird things.
    RFDACM02 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've been using Active911 for about 9 months and so far, it's working great. We will at times get the page before the tones are finished dropping. It will take you to to a map of the incident location and your location. It will also show the location of others responding.

We have been able to add overlays of hydrant and dry hydrant location to the maps.

The only issue we had at one point was on our dispatch end. We were sending out text messages as well as the active911 alert. Since there was limited bandwidth and the active911 was at the end of the list, it took a while to get the alert. We have since done away with the text messages and the active911 comes out very quickly.

Forum Member

Default Hazardous Materials

Just wondering which one is better, my department is looking at getting a software Hazardous Materials like this and I was just curious as to which was better.
    Last edited by sulmanfarooq; 01-28-2014 at 01:31 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use Active 911 a little more than a year. We have added our hydrants, pre plans, FDC locations, LZ's etc to the map and it has worked really well. Also use the web view at the station so you can see previous calls as well as the incidents your currently on. As a Chief Officer I also have my neighboring depot's in my phone but we installed filters so I only get paged on their structure fires. Works great and the price is right

Forum Member

the department I was in the last 6 years has used IAR for about 5 years.... It has a lot of nice features.... As a Chief officer it was really nice to open an App on my phone and know who I had on the way and whether I needed to call for additional man power..... whether you get your texts/alerts before or after the tones drop and how much information is in them, will depend on your communication center.... In the county I was in, Broome County, NY, we almost always got the texts and alerts 15 to 30 seconds before tones dropped and they more often than not had MORE information than the radio dispatch...... In the county I'm in the process of moving to Susquehanna County, PA, the texts/ alerts come well after the tones and radio dispatch and contain very very little information..... But the software works well and goes down very little..... I'd recommend it....

MembersZone Subscriber

For those using IAR, can you tell me which CAD software your dispatch uses? We're having some growing pains associated with how Spillman integrates, which very well be a local IT/Spillman issue. Right now we received the original push/text when the CAD assigns the call to an agency, then another for every unit assigned to the call in the CAD. This part of the IAR is brand new to us, so we're likely working through issues others have overcome.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    For those using IAR, can you tell me which CAD software your dispatch uses? We're having some growing pains associated with how Spillman integrates, which very well be a local IT/Spillman issue. Right now we received the original push/text when the CAD assigns the call to an agency, then another for every unit assigned to the call in the CAD. This part of the IAR is brand new to us, so we're likely working through issues others have overcome.
    Our dispatch uses Spillman, and we did have that problem for a while - a big call could generate 10 or more pages as more departments were added.

I believe it was a fairly simple fix, but I don't know what it was. Some "switch" (logical/digital) was set wrong, I think. Your communications people should be able to get an answer from Spillman.

The issue is not IAR - which is simply passing each text on as it receives it.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Default Choice made?

Done a little investigating and it seems like we might go with active911. Number 1 reason is price. Paying only per device and no initial software to purchase.
    Am i wrong with these facts?

Forum Member

We are using Active 911 very pleased.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome".........
    Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

I.A.C.O.J.

E.S.A.D.

NYS SFI

Thread Information