Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fire49

Thread: Can I Become a Firefighter?

Forum Member

Default Can I Become a Firefighter?

Hey guys,

Ever since I was 2 years old, I had really bad eye problems. My left and right eyes would drift off everywhere. Anyways, I'm fifteen now and plan to become a junior and then career firefighter, and after a few surgeries as a kid, my eyes got better. I just visited my eye doctor and he told me that my vision was perfect, which I was expecting because all my life he told me that vision wasn't my problem. He told me I didn't need to wear glasses anymore. But, after that, he also told me that I don't have depth perception whatsoever! I was shocked when he told me, but he said I can see fine and still drive a car because my eyes had adapted to seeing without it. I play football, basketball, and baseball and I'm pretty good at them. He told me it shouldn't stop me from becoming a firefighter but told me that he doesn't know what they test you on. What do you guys think? Did you guys ever had to take a depth perception test? Thanks!

Forum Member

Good question, sorry do not have an answer

Seems like if you can function with no added help should be a or to make it

When you say doctor regular doctor or eye doctor??

Might go to eye doctor and let them do depth perception test to see what happens

Forum Member

He's an eye doctor. He gave me a test and then told me I have no depth perception.
    Last edited by Fireman1624; 01-28-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Forum Member

Are you going to be able to get a driver's license??

This is what NFPA 1582 says:::

6.4 Eyes and Vision.

6.4.1 Category A medical conditions shall include the following:

(1)*
    Far visual acuity less than 20/40 binocular, corrected with contact lenses or spectacles, or far visual acuity less than 20/100 binocular for wearers of hard contacts or spectacles, uncorrected

(2)*
    Color perception — monochromatic vision resulting in inability to use imaging devices such as thermal imaging cameras

(3)*
    Monocular vision

(4)
    Any eye condition that results in the candidate not being able to safely perform one or more of the essential job tasks

6.4.2 Category B medical conditions shall include the following:

(1)*
    Diseases of the eye such as retinal detachment, progressive retinopathy, or optic neuritis

(2)*
    Ophthalmological procedures such as radial keratotomy, Lasik procedure, or repair of retinal detachment

(3)
    Peripheral vision in the horizontal meridian of less than 110 degrees in the better eye or any condition that significantly affects peripheral vision in both eyes

AND:::: sorry do not know what 9.12.3 says or means:::::

9.12.3 Disorders of the Eyes or Vision.

9.12.3.1* Physician Evaluation. Disorders of the eyes or vision including the following might compromise the member's ability to safely perform essential job tasks 6, 8, 10, and 11, and after further evaluation and a final medical determination of the member's condition, the physician shall report any applicable job limitations to the fire department:

(1)*
    Far visual acuity worse than 20/40 binocular corrected with contact lens or spectacles, and far visual acuity uncorrected worse than 20/100 binocular for wearers of hard contacts or spectacles, compromises a member's ability to safely perform essential job tasks 6, 8, 10, and 11. Successful soft contact lens wearers shall not be subject to the uncorrected standard.

(2)*
    Monocular vision, stereopsis without fusional capacity, inadequate depth perception, or loss of peripheral vision (greater than 110 degrees on confrontation) compromises the member's ability to safely perform essential job task 10.

(3)
    Peripheral vision in the horizontal meridian of less than 110 degrees in the better eye or any condition that significantly affects peripheral vision in both eyes.

9.12.3.2 Physician Guidance. The physician shall consider that new monocular vision requires a minimum of 6 months for depth perception accommodation in order to safely perform other essential job tasks.

A.9.12.3.1

A.9.12.3.1 Diseases of the eye such as retinal detachment, progressive retinopathy, optic neuritis (severe or progressive), macular degeneration, cataracts, and glaucoma can result in the failure to read placards and street signs or to see and respond to imminently hazardous situations. Evaluation of visual acuity and visual fields with consultation by an ophthalmologist is suggested.
    Ophthalmological procedures such as radial keratotomy and repair of retinal detachment require sufficient time (approximately 2 weeks for radial keratotomy and Lasik-type surgery and 3 months for retinal detachment) to allow stabilization of visual acuity and to ensure that there are no post-surgical complications. Members should be cleared for duty by the ophthalmologic surgeon who understands the essential job tasks associated with fire fighting. These ophthalmological procedures can result in the failure to be able to read placards and street signs or to see and respond to imminently hazardous situations.
    The fire service physician should also consider any color vision deficiency of the member in view of the color vision requirements of the member's specific job in a given fire department.

You might go by a few local fire departments and sit down and see what thier policy is

Forum Member

Thank you for the information! I'm still going to try to become a junior firefighter this summer! Oh, and my doctor told me I can drive because he said my eyes have adapted to seeing without depth perception (he just told me to watch out when parallel parking!).

Edit: Yes, I can see perfect and see all of the colors, but what I can't do is a depth perception test. Or at least last visit I couldn't. My eye doctor told me that it might come to me or might not, but he said my eyes have adapted to seeing without it, which is kind of weird. I never bump into things or have trouble seeing how far something is. I really hope this doesn't affect my chances of becoming a firefighter.
    Last edited by Fireman1624; 01-28-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Forum Member

Yes, there will likely be a depth perception test. I have difficulty with it myself. I have terrible depth perception. It's not an issue in my everyday life as I have learned to deal with it. I can tell you that when I was a line firefighter I noticed it when I was trying to judge the tip of a ladder going into a window. I had to spend more time in the academy learning spots on the ground and getting the "feel" of a ladder.

Today, I have a challenge when judging the front fender of my car when I park it. I probably back up my truck when maneuvering to park in a tight spot than most. I just deal with it.

I also tow a 25 foot boat 1000 miles down a two lane highway in Baja California (so I guess I am ok driving??).
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information