Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What Tools Would You Want Your Probie To Carry?

Hey guys, I have been reading threads here for a while and they have been very helpful preparing me and helping me make a good first impression. I just started as a cadet with my local department. Around here cadets are people that have already graduated from a FF1 academy and can do everything the crew does except for interior attack on a structure fire.

I am starting 24hr shifts on the engine and truck this week and I was wondering. What would you guys as firefighters want me to carry with me in my turnouts to make your life easier and make me as useful as I can be? Or current probies or cadets, what did you have that your captain or other firefighters liked?

P.S. I have already memorized the location of all the tools on the Truck and Engine, we have to get tested on it before we can go on calls.
    Last edited by cadet752; 01-30-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Forum Member

An open mind and a shut mouth, unless there is a question about something..

So when are you able to do interior???

Forum Member

I won't in this program because of insurance reasons. I would have to get hired before I can do interior.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Since you won't be going interior that changes dramatically what I would suggest.

1) A couple of folding spanner wrenches.
    2) If you are in a cold climate a pair of leather chopper mitts with removable wool liners.
    3) EMS gloves and anti-bacterial hand cleaner.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

A flashlight if it's not already SOP to carry one.

A Gerber tool

A separate folding knife of semi-decent quality (does not have to be Buck Knife quality) with a serrated blade.

One of those allen wrench sets- either on a key ring or that fold into a holder like a folding knife.

15' length of rope- 9mm cord works great.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

No disrespect to the brothers who answered previously because they were good suggestions, but why come on a forum and ask these questions. Wouldn't it be better directed toward the people you will be working with?

We see this over and over and I never understand it.

captnjak,

Generic answers to a question. It is that simple to me. With no interior work I see no need for the usual "Tools" that I would carry for interior work.

Why do people ask? Because quite simply on my career FD all they gave us to put in our pocket was wedges and carrying more than that, especially on a smaller, minimally staffed, made life much easier on scene.

On my own, and from my personal experiences, I carried more than that. And I could explain and/or justify everything I carried. YES, it changed over the years, things got added, things got removed, and some left my pockets and ended up in a ditty bag on the rig.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I asked because I hadn't done my first full shift yet and I thought if there was something that you guys said would help a lot I would get it before my first shift so that I would be a step ahead. I had my first shift and talked to the guys about it and they gave me some stuff to carry. They also said that what I should carry to be of the most use to my crew would come with some experience and I was hoping I could borrow some of the experience here on the forum
    Last edited by cadet752; 02-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cadet752 View Post
    I asked because I hadn't done my first full shift yet and I thought if there was something that you guys said would help a lot I would get it before my first shift so that I would be a step ahead. I had my first shift and talked to the guys about it and they gave me some stuff to carry. They also said that what I should carry to be of the most use to my crew would come with some experience and I was hoping I could borrow some of the experience here on the forum
    Exactly my point. But if you are not going interior you do not need to add things that would most likely only be used interior.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Exactly my point. But if you are not going interior you do not need to add things that would most likely only be used interior.
    I agree, I was thinking more along the lines of EMS (I am an EMT), extrication, overhaul, or utitlites.

Forum Member

If you are only allowed to be an exterior firefighter, I would suggest some modified channel locks, a shove knife, webbing, leather gloves, a multi-tool leatherman, and a flashlight. I'm not quite sure how your situation works, but if you are really trying to be useful to your department, I would suggest refining your exterior skills (i.e forcible entry, ladders, and hose management). Anyway you can help the interior crews will help.

Forum Member

My mentor always reminds me not to be a walking toolbox. I think everyone should have a folding spanner, wire cutter / plier combo with insulated grip, webbing, 6 bit screwdriver, and chocks.

I learned from my father with 30+ years on the job that you need to ready for anything. Heres what I carry.

2 Brass Folding spanners
    4 Wooden wedges
    20' Rope
    10' Webbing w/Caribiner (Rolled up in glove)
    Tin snips (for getting out of duct wire)
    1 Screwdriver (Multiple Bits with allen key taped to handle)
    1 Extremely sharp rescue knife
    1 Pelican super-saber flashlight
    1 Hose and Ladder tool

Forum Member

Interchangeable tipped screwdriver
    20' webbing loop with a biner
    Quality flashlight
    pair of door wedges/chocks
    Shove knife
    electrical tape

At least one quality pair of pliers dependent on the needs of your first due. They should be capable of cutting wire/cable at a minimum, and if you need it the following should be considered; gas shut off, prying capability, anchor point capable, through the lock set up, slip joint to work as a wrench when needed.

Buy the best you can afford and take care of them.
    www.whatsinyourpockets.com

Your source for Quality, handmade Firefighter pocket tools

Forum Member

I am also curious on the subject, my department fights so few fires and even less interior that the guys on the department don't really have that much experience, time yes, experience no so any further advice besides a bunch of medical gloves and a flashlight on my jacket would be welcome.

Thread Information