Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Here and there
  • 1 Post By Here and there

Thread: US Forest Service Region 5 (California) 2014 Hiring

Forum Member

Default US Forest Service Region 5 (California) 2014 Hiring

If you were planning on applying for a job with the USFS in California this year, we are not using the open continuous announcement that was put out a couple of months ago. Region 5 is getting an announcement specific to the region which should be out now. You will be allowed to apply to as many locations as you like but there is no anywhere choice this year, you have to select each location you are interested in. It will only be open for 14 days from Jan 30.

List of the announcements and additional details here. Following the link below will open a .pdf with the information. Towards the end it provides the application locations for each forest as well as contact information.

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/201...letin_docx.pdf

Happy to answer any questions if I can

Forum Member

I noticed there's temp gs05 spots open, does r5 plan on hiring any seasonals at the 05 level?

Forum Member

Hiring GS5s for field fire positions is not something I've seen in a long time, but I won't say it doesn't happen. It hasn't come up in any of our hiring meetings.

It seems like the rules change every year, maybe somebody has recognized we have long term seasonals who are essentially doing this job of a 5, maybe they are finally going to recognize that.

GS5 requires FFT1 advanced firefighter / squad boss, and at least a year as a GS4. If you qualify might as well apply and see what happens.
    Hottel89 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Hiring GS5s for field fire positions is not something I've seen in a long time, but I won't say it doesn't happen. It hasn't come up in any of our hiring meetings.

It seems like the rules change every year, maybe somebody has recognized we have long term seasonals who are essentially doing this job of a 5, maybe they are finally going to recognize that.

GS5 requires FFT1 advanced firefighter / squad boss, and at least a year as a GS4. If you qualify might as well apply and see what happens.
    Any updates on R5 temp hiring? Also, do you know if the 2014 fire hire timeline is pretty accurate? Looks like there are a lot of apprenticeships this year in R5!

Forum Member

So on the GS-5 thing apparently we will be allowed to hire GS-5s if they meet the quals (1 year as GS-4, FFT1 and S290), and we have a need. So a module with less than the maximum of career GS-5s could hire a seasonal GS-5 (we can have up to 2 GS-5s and 2 apprentices on a Type 3 engine to the best of my knowledge, seems like this changes every year though so could be off, I've never had the max to test the system). I think Hotshot crews can have 4-6 GS-5s, no idea on other module types.

I am hearing rumors that this may be a big year for apprentice hiring, but nothing reliable just gossip. Not saying it won't be, just no information I would consider solid.

Permanent Fire Hire does usually stay fairly close to the schedule as planning for fire season expects people in place by late May. Why we don't do permanent hiring in the fall so people can get settled in a bit before jumping into fire season continues to baffle me.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

That's good news, we'll see how many get picked up as seasonal 5's... I'm guessing not many. Regional vacancies on famcat.us are showing the amount of open WFAP spots, I know it's accurate for my Forest (from what they're telling us at least) and if it is for the others it looks like quite a few.. Hopefully they pick up a mix of vets and those of us that meet the target grade as GS05 eligible

Forum Member

Any news on the R5 front? Got a call asking if I was interested in (x) position..pretty much just to process my application. Any other news or information anyone can furnish?

Forum Member

I'm in So Cal and I know my Forest is hiring gs04's this week and next, Possibly even later.

Forum Member

Cool..well hopefully I get some action on the phone..like I said I have received interest calls from The Angeles and San Bernardino forests..just wishing amd waiting..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DullChainz View Post
    I'm in So Cal and I know my Forest is hiring gs04's this week and next, Possibly even later.
    By the way, what forest are you with?

Thread Information