Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By captnjak
  • 1 Post By SPFDRum

Thread: In Recruit Academy - Having Trouble Advancing 1 3/4"

Forum Member

Default In Recruit Academy - Having Trouble Advancing 1 3/4"

This is my first post here. I'm 4 weeks into a 12 week academy. I had zero experience prior to this academy.

Last week we did a combat challenge/obstacle course that included paying out 150' of 5", taking a hydrant, masking up/going on air, advancing 1 3/4" line while flowing straight stream for 40', following 150' of hose through a tower while blacked out, raising a 20' straight ladder, search and rescue with dragging a dummy to a door, hoisting a 2 1/2 bundle to the 3rd floor, hooking up our buddy breather, tying a knot of instructor's choice, and answering a basic question about loading priorities.

I made it through to the end, but was completely out of gas and out of air, and I wasn't able to complete the last 6 feet of the 1 3/4". I know the instructors are concerned about my physical abilities, and I need to figure out how to get on par with my class asap. Mainly, I need to learn how to advance the 1 3/4" now.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 145 lbs. I'm in my mid 30's and in pretty good shape - spent 3 months prior to academy working on my cardio and strength training.

Any tips or tricks on advancing the 1 3/4" as well as general stamina etc will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    This is my first post here. I'm 4 weeks into a 12 week academy. I had zero experience prior to this academy.

Last week we did a combat challenge/obstacle course that included paying out 150' of 5", taking a hydrant, masking up/going on air, advancing 1 3/4" line while flowing straight stream for 40', following 150' of hose through a tower while blacked out, raising a 20' straight ladder, search and rescue with dragging a dummy to a door, hoisting a 2 1/2 bundle to the 3rd floor, hooking up our buddy breather, tying a knot of instructor's choice, and answering a basic question about loading priorities.

I made it through to the end, but was completely out of gas and out of air, and I wasn't able to complete the last 6 feet of the 1 3/4". I know the instructors are concerned about my physical abilities, and I need to figure out how to get on par with my class asap. Mainly, I need to learn how to advance the 1 3/4" now.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 145 lbs. I'm in my mid 30's and in pretty good shape - spent 3 months prior to academy working on my cardio and strength training.

Any tips or tricks on advancing the 1 3/4" as well as general stamina etc will be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like you've still got eight weeks to pick up the six feet. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. (Unless someone who counts tells you otherwise) Keep working hard and the repetition will get you there.

Forum Member

Ask the instructors if you can practice anytime except class hours

Ask fellow classmates who might have experience

Some of it is how and where you carry the hose

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. I've talked to some of the other recruits with more experience to get some pointers and next week we get to do two days of Nozzle Forward class. Looking forward to week six!

Truckie

Don't be afraid to ask your instructors. I know in our academy, if an individual asks for help, the instructors will stay late, come early, and do weekends.
    Better that then fail solo, aka freelancing.
    Best of luck to you!!

Forum Member

The instructors will always be there for you. Ask them like Rum said. Is the 1 3/4 flaked out? if it isnt, flake it so itll be A LOT easier to advance.

Forum Member

Thanks all for the advice. Unfortunately it didn't work out this time. Despite doing everything in power to succeed (talking to instructors as well as fellow recruits and doing what I was able to in my own time), the instructors were not happy with my progress in the academy and I had to resign. I didn't get to take the Nozzle Forward class so I didn't get another chance to put my hands on the hose line, but I'm pushing forward with finding options for volunteer opportunities that will help me get my hose and ladder skills up the next time I'm hired by a career department. Only took me 4 years to get this job, hoping the next one takes me half as long or less! Thanks again.

Forum Member

Sorry to hear

Was it it's the physical part

Or

Was it academics also

Forum Member

Just the physical part. I didn't have the muscle to overcome lack of technique. Out of 23 recruits (from 4 departments) I was number 4 academically overall and number 1 for my department with a cumulative 96%. I was told by all the instructors they were happy with my academics and how I worked in groups. They said they saw I had the drive to do it but that I "need to put on some muscle." They also said they wouldn't hold this against me if I make it back into their oral boards later this year. I'm really unhappy this didn't work out but I'm viewing it as a bump in the road. I know what I need to do for the next time I get hired and I'm better prepared for my next academy because I know where my strengths are too - I'm pretty good at blacked out search and rescue and can consistently don PPE in under 40 seconds and throw my SCBA in under 45. So, back to testing, preparing for oral boards, and doing everything in my power to get stronger!

Forum Member

I'm sorry things didn't work out in your first go round'. The reality is, 1 3/4" line should be a fairly easy line to move, regardless of size with proper technique. As someone mentioned, make sure your line is well flaked. In terms of advancing the line, if your training staff didn't give you much guidance on how to advance, nozzle forward is something you should look into. Just google nozzle forward techniques particularly the clamp slide. The clamp slide utilizes your larger muscles to advance charged lines. The nozzle forward techniques are also predicated on the idea of using "triangles" to form your base which makes for greater power and more efficient movement. Best of luck.

Forum Member

You might also find a volunteer fire dept to train at

or a cpat center that does training

Forum Member

I'm kind of surprised that you were let go at what appears to be less than half way through the program. (Unless there's more that we're not being told.) I would think you would get every opportunity to pick up that extra couple of feet in the hose advance drill. It seems overly strict to me to put you out of the program.

I'll ask the brothers: Is it just me? Is this the way most programs are run?
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Truckie

Academics, behavior or attitude will get you out early. But I agree, in most cased its the last third or even quarter of the academy is when you wash due to any physical issues.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Nothing I'm leaving out. I had three face-to-face assessments during my 5+ weeks in the academy and each time I signed a document that stated I was "meeting expectations" in 6 categories. They had a few small things they talked with me about that I was able to fix each time and they recognized during the next assessment that I had fixed those problems. There were two other recruits fired at the same time and one a week earlier, all for the same or similar. The academy seemed to move really quickly and it makes sense that of out of a class of 23, there were 6 recruits with no prior experience, and 4 of use were fired. Thankfully they gave me the option to resign instead of being terminated. I hired a sports dietician and joined a crossfit gym, and I already have an oral board setup with a volunteer department. It's a huge letdown to be this close to my dream and then lose it, but I'm pushing forward. I keep hearing that the 1 3/4" should be easy to move - hopefully gaining some muscle and some experience with a volunteer department will prove that to be true.

Truckie

Well it's tough for anyone to question your drive! that is a great asset to have...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Since you resigned vs being terminated, will that department give you a second shot?

If not, good luck to you. I hope you land a spot. You sound like someone I could work with!

Forum Member

captnjak - Yes, the Training Captain and Chief both made clear to me that they would not hold this against me if I make it back into their oral boards at the end of the year. I told them that I had every intention of doing what they asked of me and looked forward to making it through the process again and seeing them in the 2015-1 academy. It's not automatic - I still have to score well enough on the written and oral boards but I already did it once! I'm already a solid EMT and know I have what it takes to be a great firefighter. Now that I know what it takes to make it through academy I just need another shot.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and comments.

Forum Member

M.D.,

No fire instructor want to have a recruit resign mid stream or have any fail any of the test. But this does happen from time to time.

Now it the time to start beefing up the muscles. Go to a gym or fitness center and get a trainer to help you. Be sure to tell the trainer what your problems was so they can help you build up.

Having been an instructor at our training center, I've seen young folks having a hard time doing physical portions of the job. I have asked many, "Have you ever done any physical work before?" Most have say some to none. When other recruits were doing the physical part, what were you doing? Were you watching them and how they advance the hose line? You can pick up a lot by watching others and being friends with someone who is getting the task done without any problems. The buddy system works! Most recruits will lend an hand to those who are having a tough time. That is call Brotherhood.

I don't know what you have available to you, but as I said get to a fitness center and build up the strength. Some volunteer departments will lend you as hand, if you ask and tell them why you need to do this, by letting you drag their hose around, providing you re roll it and put everything back where it came from. You can always build up your strength by using an ax to chop wood or hit an old tire or stump with a sledge hammer. Picking up and shoulder carry of a regular 24 foot ladder would help you as well.

Good luck.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post

Hey from someone who has a similar build this is my advice. Im 5'10 and I used to be around 148-150. I started eating right, taking supplements and lifting heavy. Got up to 170 and I can push some heavy *** weight. At 5'11 you should definitely be heavier and stronger. So reevaluate your diet, hit the gym at least 4 times a week, push yourself, and Id invest in Universal Gains Protein Powder. **** works wonders for guys like us. At the end of the day you can have all the technique in the world but if youre getting gassed and cant pull the weight, whats the point? Good luck bro.

Thread Information