Forum Member

Default Getting your first job

Greetings All,

I am a relatively "green" firefighter. I am on a volunteer department and going to school for Fire/Rescue currently at my local community college and have intentions on getting my Paramedic as well. I am about to take and knock out my EMT-B, aside from that I have ICS 100, 200, 700, and working on the rest. I am working towards getting my hours and studying for my Firefighter 1. I plan on taking my IFSAC test in the fall. I am trying to figure out what would help increase my chances at getting a job in the fire service. I want to get into the paid side of firefighting. I see some postings for "Entry Level Firefighters" or "will train" but they almost always require your FF1/2 and/or other certs. I am trying to make myself marketable. I am a 21 year old and I am working at a Mental Health Hospital. I am trying very hard to get into this field. I will take any and all advice you can give. I eventually want to get my Bachelors in Arson Investigation, Paramedicine, or some Science related field.

Forum Member

What state are you in

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction

Check as many department web sites in your state to see what is required just to apply.

And get the minimum required to apply

Other thing is if you are able able to apply and test now do it anywhere and everywhere

Stay out of any trouble

Forum Member

Take a look at the National Guard. Air Force National Guard will pay you to go to fire school and get all IFSAC Certs and you get experience and then its one weekend a month 2 weeks a year. But the most important thing is military hiring preference points. The 8 yrs I spent active were a great time and growing experience but I wouldn't be where I am now with out my military points and the military bearing that was instilled in me. The military is a great feeder to a successful career in the fire service.

Thread Information