Forum Member

Default Questions about the process

Hey yall
    So I am a college student and have always wanted to be a firefighter, I will be the first of my family to choose this career and I have no idea how to go about getting hired. So my question to you guys is, what does the process look like. I have visited a few fire houses but no one gave me a clear answer. Right now my plan is to graduate my 4 year college and then go to a fire academy and then do testing. So as you can see I really don't know much about the process. What major would you recommend? If you could give me an outline of the process I would be very great full.
    Thanks guys!

Forum Member

What state are you in?

How old are you

Get a nursing degree

Hiring process depends on the dept

Check a few web sites in your state to see what the minimum requirements are just to apply

Get them--- some want college hours only--- some want certain certifications

Apply

Normally written test

Followed by some type of physical agility test

If you make it that far than oral interview

If offered a job, medical physical , poly test

Than after that depends on the department

http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

Stay out of any trouble including traffic violations

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABizzack View Post
    Hey yall
    So I am a college student and have always wanted to be a firefighter, I will be the first of my family to choose this career and I have no idea how to go about getting hired. So my question to you guys is, what does the process look like. I have visited a few fire houses but no one gave me a clear answer. Right now my plan is to graduate my 4 year college and then go to a fire academy and then do testing. So as you can see I really don't know much about the process. What major would you recommend? If you could give me an outline of the process I would be very great full.
    Thanks guys!

The first thing you may want to do, is find a department that is seeking applicants. Fill out an application, completely. Wait for the test to be given, take it and anything else they require you to do. Then comes an interview. Dress to impress. If selected they send you for a complete medical physical and based on that you may be hired or passed over, if there is any thing wrong with your health. Most large departments put you in the next recruit school, lasting anywhere from 8 to 24 weeks. If you pass that then you are assigned to an active fire company for you probation period of usually 12 months.

A college degree is good as that shows the department that you have something going for you. It usually doesn't help in the hiring process but later on it can help in a promotion process.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information