Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default New member hello/Just Applied/some questions about physical?

Hi my name is Steve. I am from western NY. I just submitted my application to my local volunteer fire department last night at their monthly dinner. I have a few questions.

I will have to to take a physical sometime soon. I am not in the best shape if one were to look at my height and weight but I consider myself quite active and carry my weight pretty good. Most Nurses are very suprised when they put me on the scale to weight me and c how much I weigh. I am 5 foot 5 inches tall (male) 249 pounds. I am quite strong and not a couch potato by any means, just eat too much and got a beer gut lol. I also have a desk job which limits my activity. I weighed 185 pounds in college and that is is low as i could go with my frame I believe, that was working out and lifting weights every week at school gym. So i have never been, nor will I ever be a slender 150 pounder. Got legs like tree trunks regardless of weight lol. Also have high blood pressure that is completly controled with meds. No other medical diagnosis.

Will I have trouble passing the physical? My father in-law is in the department and when I asked him he said "have you seen the guys in the department?" lol. All kidding aside, I am still worried about the physical. There will be no problem with background check or anything else, my father in law has been a member of dept for years and my wifes uncle has been as well and is currently on the board of directors. I do want to become interior certified. Thanks for any thoughts.
    Last edited by touro1979; 02-07-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Forum Member

Suggest get in better shape

Suggest get out walking running. Get some endurance

Heart attack kills a lot of firefighters

Forum Member

I should add that I started exercising and watching my calories for the past two weeks and have lost 6 pounds. I am hoping to be down to 240 by the time I have to do physical and down to at least 220 by late spring.

I do not smoke and since I married my wife 2 years ago I can count the times I drank to intoxication on one hand. Before that, well, I wasnt very good lol so I am graudully becoming more healthy. I stopped eating fast food 3 months ago and have recently started counting calories. So I am making lifestyle changes. This is just taking some time.
    Last edited by touro1979; 02-07-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Forum Member

Sounds good

You may have to carry out someone, but you do not want to be there one who is carried out.
    Plus do it for yourself and family

Don't know how it works in your county, but our self-insured folks are mainly looking for a baseline - what kind of shape are you in now - from which to judge if a claim is indeed fire related, or simply secondary to a pre-existing condition.

Your county/fire department may differ.

That said, getting into shape is never a bad thing.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Well, I am in. just needed a basic physical from either the dept Dr. or my own. Nothing elaborate. Before I start Fire One, I will get a more comprehensive physical to make sure I am ok for Interior. If not I guess I am stuck doing exterior. Still losing weight although I have slowed down. Thats Ok. Fire one not till this fall. Waiting for first call now to start learning. First training this week. Very excited to start up.

Thread Information