Forum Member

Default Mapping calls/incidents for analytics?

Not quite sure how to title this one...

We are a very small department membership-wise, but have a fairly large and rural coverage area. Like a lot of rural departments, there's not a lot of budget for extras.

I know in the back of our heads we (on the department) think things like "it would be nice to have a dry hydrant near "XX"" or, "boy, we sure get a lot of accidents near "XXX" hill/curve/intersection"... But there is no way to easily analyze our run data to determine where needs actually are or where our most common areas for calls come from.

What I would like to be able to do is to map the location of our calls in a program. I know I can simply put "pushpins" on Google Earth, but I would like to be able to break it down further and use different markings for EMS and fire. We have one location that makes up a decent percentage of our run volume and it's both EMS and fire calls there. As incidents increase at a given location I would like to change the colors of the markers. Ideally fire and EMS would be separate layers that could then be overlaid together somehow. I want to be able to put at least a few details of the call with each marking.

We don't have any sort of CAD system in house, though I'm not sure what our county dispatch has. At this point I would be manually inputting the data every so often- we're only averaging 300 calls or less per year so it's not a monumental task at this point.

Are there any programs that are out there that are no-frills, cheap (free) and capable of doing what I want to do? Can I do it with Google Earth or Google Maps somehow? I know Earth has way more capabilities than I have used, so if I typed all this out and it can be done there, someone just call me stupid and lazy and I'll go figure it out there.

Thanks for any help/insight.

Forum Member

check with near by high schools, college, jr college, computer companies, survey companies, GIS, some are looking for projects to help people with, or can advise you at no cost.

not an exel person but that may be a way to go?

Forum Member

also other city county state depts. that do gis or similar tracking of info, Police?

Forum Member

I believe Google Fusion Tables is what your looking for...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    I believe Google Fusion Tables is what your looking for...
    I'm just starting to look at it and I think you are correct. Thank you!

Thread Information