Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Region 9 jobs

Forum Member

No a cover letter is not required, and in fact they are actually rather rare.

Applying for the Federal agencies is quite different than almost any other job, because it is almost entirely based on your application package. It is possible for you to be offered a job with your only interaction being, I'm calling to offer you a job, yes or no.

Because of this it is very important to
    A) make some contact with those who are hiring so they know you are interested.
    B) make sure your application package tells the hiring officials everything you want them to know about you, because that may be all you get to say.

I know this sounds kind of dumb, but there are people who apply for jobs that they actually are not that interested in. I have had people turn down a job offer. Usually it was because they are really hoping for a different job and they decide to take their chances, but some don't really understand what the job they applied for is all about. Had a guy a few years ago, and after talking with him for a bit, he told us that he doesn't really like getting dirty, doesn't like hiking and is used to be the guy in charge. He also had a family and didn't want to be away from them too much. After describing the job to him he asked to be taken off the hiring list.

Anyway, cover letters, no you don't need to do one, and yes if you decide to do one, a generic type is acceptable. I would say the benefit to a cover letter would be to take the time to tell us why you want the job, what you have done to prepare yourself for the job, and why we would want to hire you.

I would also highly recommend you have someone look over your resume for spelling / grammar and awkward sentences. You would be amazed at the stuff that can slip past you. You know what you meant to say and your brain will often read what you meant to say, not what you actually wrote.

Forum Member

Seems like a funny job to just apply to... I mean I can see the transition from someone in Marketing to Accounting perhaps, but not from that kind of a sedentary managerial lifestyle to grunt work... People lol.

Not sure if you can shed some light for me, but how does USAJobs work? I mean like who reviews them, and how long does that take? And is it someone else who reviews them first before forwarding them on to the actual hiring official? All my applications say received, but under the little (?) there's a bunch of categories like 'referred'-- how long does it take to be referred.

Sorry I hope that's clear, couldn't figure the best way to say that!

Forum Member

When you apply for the job your application package goes to the agencies HR office where it is rated. That person doing the rating most likely knows nothing about the job you are applying for. They have a list of requirements that must be met, and that is what they go off of. This first step is why you really need to spell out what you did in your jobs, the exact titles of your training etc. The rater does not know about the job and can not assume anything. If it is not clearly stated you didn't do it. I've seen people with several years of firefighting experience not qualify for a position because they didn't put anything on their resume about fighting wildland fires. I believe this is where the referred part comes in. It just means you have been rated and meet the minimum qualifications.

The next step the local unit (park, forest etc) requests a list of qualified applicants. This is usually where the individual supervisors get involved with temporary hiring.

Permanent hiring has a more complex process and the supervisors have less input.
    Last edited by Here and there; 02-17-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Forum Member

Double post

Thread Information