Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rescue Dave

Thread: Does this look correct? (stokes bridal)

Forum Member

Default Does this look correct? (stokes bridal)

We got a new stokes/bridal set from CMC.

I didn't have a catalog picture to reference it to for checking how it actually gets set up I just guessed.

Its suspended from the ceiling on a 4:1 just for training purposes in the photo with the victim diamond lashed into the stokes.

My question pertains only to the bridal anchor straps.

And what in the world are the red carabiners for? They are not locking so I am assuming they are for utility usage?

Does anyone know what model these are? I didn't do the ordering obviously so I am not sure where I can find a reference picture of the proper setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 02-11-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Forum Member

I have only used the home made rope bridals but your setup seems to be a bit on the long side. I might shorten the straps...

Forum Member

That's what I thought.

It was extremely stable lifting it, but I had nothing to base this off. The guys who I was showing how to rig a stokes basket to, said "this is what they got us, how do we use it?"

It's 4 straps, the two towards the feet, aren't adjustable.

Making the head side straps shorter would throw the balance off center.

I can't find anything on CMC website or catalog and these are brand new so it's not a discontinued product.

The adjustable straps clearly have a Velcro sleeve so they are meant to double back the way I did it, I can't see why they wouldn't be.

A non locking carabiner (the red ones on the legs side) are not meant for supporting a rescue load right? Rescue loads must have a locking mechanism?

Forum Member

Well I can't really tell from the picture but if I had to make a guess I'd say that what you have there is not a litter bridle but rather a couple of load release straps.
    http://www.cmcrescue.com/equipment/650/

Dave
    backsteprescue123 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue Dave View Post
    Well I can't really tell from the picture but if I had to make a guess I'd say that what you have there is not a litter bridle but rather a couple of load release straps.
    http://www.cmcrescue.com/equipment/650/

Dave
    I also thought that it might be a load release strap when I was browsing the catalog, but the entire setup came as a kit from CMC. The 4 straps came with the stokes and the person who placed the order has extensive experience. I couldn't find the opposing set of straps in the catalog either.

I think my best bet is to pull the product ID code and match them up tomorrow...

Side note, anyone have any information on using a load release strap? I can't find any videos. I have only used the radium release hitch.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 02-09-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Forum Member

The load release strap is pretty much a mariner hitch. It is constructed as in image below.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelXYZ View Post
    The load release strap is pretty much a mariner hitch. It is constructed as in image below.

It gets released by unraveling it in a controlled manor?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    the person who placed the order has extensive experience.
    I'll ask the obvious question..... Why can't you ask them what they ordered? Or are they no longer 'available' to the department?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfelix22000us View Post
    I'll ask the obvious question..... Why can't you ask them what they ordered? Or are they no longer 'available' to the department?
    He's out of town and I'm impatient.

Forum Member

It gets released by unraveling it in a controlled manor?
    The wraps around the webbing act as a friction device. The wraps around the carabiner give you 3:1 mechanical advantage.
    By removing wraps around the webbing you can control the friction and thus smoothly transfer the load. I find that about 3 wraps works good for smooth control.

Kinda hard to explain, better to get hands on. You can make a load release with about 10' of webbing. Be advised webbing mariners can fuse under certain conditions. The pre-fab LRH is better way to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelXYZ View Post
    The wraps around the webbing act as a friction device. The wraps around the carabiner give you 3:1 mechanical advantage.
    By removing wraps around the webbing you can control the friction and thus smoothly transfer the load. I find that about 3 wraps works good for smooth control.

Kinda hard to explain, better to get hands on. You can make a load release with about 10' of webbing. Be advised webbing mariners can fuse under certain conditions. The pre-fab LRH is better way to go.
    The straps in the photo did turn out to be the CMC load release hitches (that i asked for and didn't know they ever ordered)

So obviously they werent meant for the stokes basket, someone just combined our companies order with their companies order and never sorted them to separate firehouses.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the CMC Pro Vertival Evac Harness. It has 4 individually adjustable straps that hook into a 25,000 lb lifting ring. It allows us to adjust head up (for easier breathing and head injuries) feet up (for shock), sideways (if the patient is vomiting or has other airway issues) and we can shorten it down when we don't have a lot of overhead clearance. We also use it when rigging the basket for a feet-first vertical lower when their is no overhead anchor point.

http://www.cmcrescue.com/equipment/p...itter-harness/

Mike

Forum Member

Thats what I thought they originally when I saw the 4 straps and thought nothing of it being the straps I ordered.

But now they only have 2 straps, and no bull ring to tie it in to.

On our rescue rig we have 4 adjustable straps like above from CMC and on our tower ladder we carry 4 Rock N Rescue brand straps.

RnR stretcher spider
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 02-10-2014 at 09:56 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

On our rescue rig we have 4 adjustable straps like above from CMC and on our tower ladder we carry 4 Rock N Rescue brand straps.

RnR stretcher spider
    We tried the RnR (another very respectable company) bridle but didn't like the overly long bridle straps. They seldom got neatly stowed like it shows in the picture so we went with the CMC and have used it for many years (and yes, replaced after 10 years in service)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rsqman View Post
    We tried the RnR (another very respectable company) bridle but didn't like the overly long bridle straps. They seldom got neatly stowed like it shows in the picture so we went with the CMC and have used it for many years (and yes, replaced after 10 years in service)
    Yea they are basically stuffed into the mesh bag they come with, all attached together on their respective carabiners.

Forum Member

For the sake of not starting a new thread,

What mechanical advantage method do

Forum Member

What mechanical advantage method do you guys prefer when converting a lower into a raise?

I was messing around today and an in-line 3:1 seemed like the easiest move. Would a ganged system be more beneficial?

I realize there is factors that will differ and need to be heavily considered but for a simple lower/raise into a hole and out, what would be your go to move?

Forum Member

What mechanical advantage method do you guys prefer when converting a lower into a raise?

I was messing around today and an in-line 3:1 seemed like the easiest move. Would a ganged system be more beneficial?

I realize there is factors that will differ and need to be heavily considered but for a simple lower/raise into a hole and out, what would be your go to move?
    It all depends on the weight of the load and the amount of peeps on the haul team. With increase in MA also means you will need more rope and system resets.

The inline 3:1 is a good compromise between MA and rope length.

Thread Information