Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By paulLepore
  • 1 Post By CaptOldTimer

Thread: The Polygraph: Should You Lie?

Forum Member

Default The Polygraph: Should You Lie?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by TowerRescue ; 04-30-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Forum Member

"That being said, I consider myself an honest person"

Let me get this straight. You state that you believe you are an honest person - but you are asking if you should lie during your polygraph.

Sounds like someone who is willing to lie if it serves his purpose.
    CaptOldTimer, ffbam24 and FF14 like this.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    "That being said, I consider myself an honest person"

Let me get this straight. You state that you believe you are an honest person - but you are asking if you should lie during your polygraph.

Sounds like someone who is willing to lie if it serves his purpose.
    I'm wondering about the validity of the comments made by people I work with, and the fact that some have lied on their polygraph and gotten full time jobs. I don't have disqualifying factors in my past that I would need to lie about, so I am an honest person and won't lie. But at the same time I'd like to know exactly what type of system this is if it's a factor in me getting jobs.

Forum Member

Tower, Why would you lie? Have you something to hide? Always answer calmly and truthful.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    FF14 likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Tower, Why would you lie? Have you something to hind? Always answer calmly and truthful.
    No not at all. I want to make that clear. I apoligize if that is how it came across. Ive always gone into my oral boards and interviews being completely honest. Im simply looking to understand this animal. Im being told multiple things from people who have secured these fulltime positions. Like anything, youll hear everyones opinion on something and you have to take that with a grain of salt. But the cases Ive seen first hand are people who have lied on a polygraph and gotten the job. And its not that they are lying about huge issues. Its little things like marijuana usage in highschool a decade ago. Heres an example: One candidate was informed that the job he was applying for was cracking down on marijuana usage in their candidates PHQ. Despite the fact the departments policy states that if an applicant has not used marijuana within 2 years prior to application they are eligible to continue in the process, this department was taking applicants who have used, regardless of when, and placing them behind applicants who state they have never used. So this applicant, who has not smoked weed in probably 10 years and is completely eligible for hire based off the departments hiring guidelines, was advised that he should not state that in his PHQ. He took that advice and now has a fulltime job with that department.

I want to be clear this post was not to advise anyone to lie and again Im sorry it came off that way. But as applicants I feel it is important to be knowledgable of this entire process, just as we would research the history of a department to prepare for interview questions. At the end of the day I WILL be honest. Id just like to know what Im going up against.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TowerRescue View Post
    No not at all. I want to make that clear. I apoligize if that is how it came across. Ive always gone into my oral boards and interviews being completely honest. Im simply looking to understand this animal. Im being told multiple things from people who have secured these fulltime positions. Like anything, youll hear everyones opinion on something and you have to take that with a grain of salt. But the cases Ive seen first hand are people who have lied on a polygraph and gotten the job. And its not that they are lying about huge issues. Its little things like marijuana usage in highschool a decade ago. Heres an example: One candidate was informed that the job he was applying for was cracking down on marijuana usage in their candidates PHQ. Despite the fact the departments policy states that if an applicant has not used marijuana within 2 years prior to application they are eligible to continue in the process, this department was taking applicants who have used, regardless of when, and placing them behind applicants who state they have never used. So this applicant, who has not smoked weed in probably 10 years and is completely eligible for hire based off the departments hiring guidelines, was advised that he should not state that in his PHQ. He took that advice and now has a fulltime job with that department.

I want to be clear this post was not to advise anyone to lie and again Im sorry it came off that way. But as applicants I feel it is important to be knowledgable of this entire process, just as we would research the history of a department to prepare for interview questions. At the end of the day I WILL be honest. Id just like to know what Im going up against.
    If you're an honest person and have nothing to hide, spending that extra time thinking about not telling the truth over something that "isn't a big deal" (to you) is probably going to get you to fail a test. I think this field is one of the most honor/integrity-based professions out there. If you fail a test, it is because it wasn't meant to be, try elsewhere, never give up, so on and so forth.

If you do have something to hide, you might consider working in a different field or waiting until it isn't relevant and resume testing again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    If you're an honest person and have nothing to hide, spending that extra time thinking about not telling the truth over something that "isn't a big deal" (to you) is probably going to get you to fail a test. I think this field is one of the most honor/integrity-based professions out there. If you fail a test, it is because it wasn't meant to be, try elsewhere, never give up, so on and so forth.

If you do have something to hide, you might consider working in a different field or waiting until it isn't relevant and resume testing again.
    Im not sure if Im explaining my concerns right. Maybe Im wording it wrong. My concerns is not my past. My past history is clear and eligible for hire in any department. I work for two departments currently, and Im not even scheduled for a polygraph with any department process. My concern is Im being told that even people who are 100% honest on the polygraph are failing it. Im hearing its due to high levels of stress, but also due to the actual proctors intentions of not necessarily seeking out lying candidates, but to weed down numbers of candidates based off criteria that isnt necessarily in the handbook. The biggest example of this being the one Ive provided where a fire department policy states any marijuana usage outside of a 2 year period prior to application is not grounds for disqualification, but RATHER fire departments are using the polygraph to weed out candidates who have ever used marijuana in their life, regardless of policy. Its because of factors such as this that Ive heard people suggest the above information in my initial post.

so my intentions of this post are simply to hear someone say "ya thats true about the polygraph process" or "no thats false information". I appreciate the advice on whether or not you should lie from a moral standing, and Im with everyone on that. Im just interested to hear peoples perspective on the particular topic I just described.

Forum Member

Polygraph machines can tell that you're lying as well as a Coke machine.

Thread Information