Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snowball

Thread: Please help me out with a simple question about your department.

Question Please help me out with a simple question about your department.

1. Does your department supply bar soap or other soap/supplies intended for use by members in the shower?
    2. Do members leave their personal hygiene supplies in the shower after their shift e.g. soap, conditioner, shampoo, loofahs, exfoliating gloves, lotion, razors...
    3. Do members store those same items on some horizontal surface somewhere in the bathroom e.g. window, bench, floor, shelf, toilet lid, counter...
    4. Does your department have a SOG/P or other official policy regarding the storage of such personal hygiene supplies?
    5. Does the thought of sharing a bar of soap with every other member at your station or rubbing up against some one's loofah in the shower disgust you?
    6. Do you use any loofah or soap/shampoo you find in the shower because you just don't care?
    ...at this time.

Our showers have soap dispensers in them. You sound like you have the exact problem I had. I relieved a literal pig for two years. The bathroom was in shambles when I came on duty. I would be embarrassed to leave a bathroom in the condition for someone else, that was left for me. I started throwing everything he left in the shower, in the trash. When it started costing the pig money, that's when he decided to clean up after himself. Some guys need that to get through to them. Cut to last year. The pig relieves me now. He gets a clean bathroom, and so does his relief.
    Good luck!
    IAFF

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

All answers pertain to the career FD I retired from in July of 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by utilitycow View Post
    1. Does your department supply bar soap or other soap/supplies intended for use by members in the shower?
    Every shower had a soap/shampoo combo dispenser in them. Most guys brought their own soap or shampoo to use though.

2. Do members leave their personal hygiene supplies in the shower after their shift e.g. soap, conditioner, shampoo, loofahs, exfoliating gloves, lotion, razors...
    No. Everyone had a personal locker by their bunk to keep all personal items and bedding in when off duty.

3. Do members store those same items on some horizontal surface somewhere in the bathroom e.g. window, bench, floor, shelf, toilet lid, counter...No.

4. Does your department have a SOG/P or other official policy regarding the storage of such personal hygiene supplies? All personal belongings are to be stowed in your locker when off duty.

5. Does the thought of sharing a bar of soap with every other member at your station or rubbing up against some one's loofah in the shower disgust you? Disgust me? Not regarding the soap, but I would not use someone else's loofa. I brought my own so their wasn't going to be a time it happened.

6. Do you use any loofah or soap/shampoo you find in the shower because you just don't care? No, I brought my own and returned them to my locker when finished showering.
    I never used anyone else's stuff. And I always put mine away at the end of showering.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

1. Does your department supply bar soap or other soap/supplies intended for use by members in the shower? No, only hand soap.

2. Do members leave their personal hygiene supplies in the shower after their shift e.g. soap, conditioner, shampoo, loofahs, exfoliating gloves, lotion, razors... No. All personal items are to be put away into your locker when you are finished.

3. Do members store those same items on some horizontal surface somewhere in the bathroom e.g. window, bench, floor, shelf, toilet lid, counter...No. see above answer.

4. Does your department have a SOG/P or other official policy regarding the storage of such personal hygiene supplies? We actually had to make one after the guy mentioned below, very similar to Fyredup's pig.

5. Does the thought of sharing a bar of soap with every other member at your station or rubbing up against some one's loofah in the shower disgust you? Depends on who's loofah it was. For example, I wouldn't mind rubbing up against Kate Upton's loofah but thats for another thread. Seriously...All items are to be stored in your locker or it will be thrown away.

6. Do you use any loofah or soap/shampoo you find in the shower because you just don't care?No....unless it was Kate Upton's!!
    As in Fyredup's case, I also relieved a slob who not only left the shower full of his stuff but also his nasty back hair all over. I had to clean the shower first thing in the morning. I started throwing his stuff in the garbage to make it expensive for him after I approached him about it. He didn't think it was a big deal and blew me off. That's when I started throwing away his stuff and leaving a dirty bathroom for him. After a while, he whined about me leaving him a dirty bathroom...LOL Eventually the chief at the time wrote an SOG to have all your personal items taken out of the bathroom/shower or it will be be thrown away.

If you have that same problem talk to him about it first. If you don't get results, glove up and throw his stuff away in the garbage every chance you get.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Loofa's! Really?

Man the Fire Service really has "progressed", now we're talking about exfoliating gloves and loofas?

1. Yes. Dispensers in showers. Though like other places, most guys bring their own.
    2. Some leave shampoo and bottled soap. That which is in the shower becomes community property.
    3. Every firefighter has a small "cubby" in the bathroom for personal hygiene gear.
    4. No, standard big boy rules apply. Take care of your sh*t or lose it. Don't be a pig, etc. You will be called on your slovenliness by others.
    5. Haven't seen a bar of soap in years and never a loofa, but given we're outside the urban world, we have few metro-sexuals, just rural-sexuals (sheep don't care if they use eye cream or not)
    6. Bottled/pump soaps are used like community property by those in need. I bring my own.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 02-10-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

-No.

-If they get left in there and I find them, they get thrown away, no questions asked. Some of the others on my shift are a little more forgiving of this than I am.

3. Do members store those same items on some horizontal surface somewhere in the bathroom e.g. window, bench, floor, shelf, toilet lid, counter...
    -See above.

4. Does your department have a SOG/P or other official policy regarding the storage of such personal hygiene supplies?
    -Supposed to be kept in your locker when not in use. Towels, wash cloths, and loofahs can be hung on or affixed to the foot of your bunk for drying purposes, and stored as soon as feasible.

5. Does the thought of sharing a bar of soap with every other member at your station or rubbing up against some one's loofah in the shower disgust you?
    -Yes. There are some nasty MFers around here probably carrying things that Pamela Anderson hasn't caught yet.

6. Do you use any loofah or soap/shampoo you find in the shower because you just don't care?
    -GROSS. ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    There are a lot of things I'll share with my brothers. Things used to clean the naughty bits are not in that category.

Just hand soap dispensers at the sinks.

Sometimes they "forget"...

We have a "lost and found" locker.. stuff like shampoo, razors and such end up there.

No.. people keep their personal supplies in their lockers.

Bar soap left in the showers gets tossed, as do "loofahs".

Hell no.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 02-11-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Lava bar hand soap not intended for use in the shower but some guys are cheap.

Some do, some don't.

Some do, some don't.

No.

Bar soap for washing hands at the sink, no. Anything shower related, absolutely.

To me, it would be like using someone else's tooth brush, disgusting.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Use all your own stuff in the shower. Usually a bar soap is provided at the sinks. To be on the safe side, use you own stuff. I've never use a loofah in my life and don't intend to.

All my personal hygiene supplies stays in my assigned locker, except when I am using them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Use all your own stuff in the shower. Usually a bar soap is provided at the sinks. To be on the safe side, use you own stuff. I've never use a loofah in my life and don't intend to.

All my personal hygiene supplies stays in my assigned locker, except when I am using them.
    Then how do you exfoliate? Crusty Old Jakes will be a thing of the past because Loofa's were allowed in the firehouse.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 02-11-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

Forum Member

We have bar soap for whatever you wish to clean with it.

Some do, some don't.

Sometimes.

No, but we barely have SOPs for fireground operations. However, most members keep their stuff in their lockers.

No, but I choose not think about icky things like that.

No, I use my own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Then how do you exfoliate? Crusty Old Jakes will be a thing of the past because Loofa's were allowed in the firehouse.
    It is like scuffing a surface to promote adhesion... sometimes you have to scrub the exterior crust in order for the new crust to adhere!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Elihu, will you come loofah my stretch marks?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  22.8 KB
    Trkco1 likes this.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    elihu, will you come loofah my stretch marks?
    Attachment 23306
    rotflmao!!!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear I'm not alone here. This isn't a single slob, but a department wide issue (as I see it). Worked OT yesterday and found two bottles in the shower. There are some stations that do not have this problem, and some that are out of control. I hate to cause this much tension between shifts over something so small, so looks like I'll be bringing this issue up to the right people to get something done. It never bother me if some one forgets and leaves something out, but it has become the standard to store stuff in the bathroom that every other member uses.
    ...at this time.

loofahs & exfoiliating gloves ,,, Lotions

WTF::: Are you working in a firehouse or a beauty parlor. or maybe a sorority house.

Why would you want anything thats been rubbed on someone else asscrack to get near you???????

Someone leaves their stuff :: it goes in the round file

MembersZone Subscriber

loofahs=target

Thread Information