Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Moving on after the CPAT? (Charlotte, NC)

I passed my written for the Charlotte FD and have scheduled my orientation session for the CPAT, where I will then schedule my CPAT date.

I've read on this forum that not everyone that passes the CPAT moves on to the background/poly portion. - I don't quite understand how this works. If the CPAT is purely pass/fail, how do they weed out candidates that passed the CPAT?

I've taken the physical agility test with two other departments in the area and smoked both of them, so I'm curious what I can do to increase my chances of continuing the process.

To be honest, I'm a little discouraged in knowing that the test is purely pass/fail. My level of fitness is fairly high (formerly a BBer and powerlifter; now just a fitness junkie) compared to the average fitness enthusiast, but I hate the idea that my time on the test could be far better than someone else's, yet they move on and I don't.

Is this just as much about likability as it is about the test?

Forum Member

There are several different ways departments go through the hiring process

Cpat in this case like you say is pass fail ,, no reason to talk to someone first if they are going to fail cpat.

In your case they may go off written to see who the decide to interview

Forum Member

Most departments will go off the score for the written exam. For example, lets say a department has 100 people qualified and get a 80% or higher on the exam. All 100 are invited to the CPAT. Then they see how many passed the exam and then decide to only maybe interview 80. You could be #81, pass your CPAT but not high enough to move on. All departments do it fairly different. So ace the written exam, and you should be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post
    I passed my written for the Charlotte FD and have scheduled my orientation session for the CPAT, where I will then schedule my CPAT date.

I've read on this forum that not everyone that passes the CPAT moves on to the background/poly portion. - I don't quite understand how this works. If the CPAT is purely pass/fail, how do they weed out candidates that passed the CPAT?

I've taken the physical agility test with two other departments in the area and smoked both of them, so I'm curious what I can do to increase my chances of continuing the process.

To be honest, I'm a little discouraged in knowing that the test is purely pass/fail. My level of fitness is fairly high (formerly a BBer and powerlifter; now just a fitness junkie) compared to the average fitness enthusiast, but I hate the idea that my time on the test could be far better than someone else's, yet they move on and I don't.

Is this just as much about likability as it is about the test?
    Hey I took the test and passed as well. Moving on to the CPAT. So many departments do it differently. Im in Seattles right now and their written is PASS/FAIL and your final score is the combination of two orals. Never seen it done like that anywhere else. Maybe Charlottes written is weighted, CPAT is pass/fail and then your oral is weighted, so your final score will be based off that combination. Like Gino said tho your written exam may get you to the CPAT and you could pass that but your written may be too low for everything else.

Thread Information